The Office Uk

TheScarf

I think Donna gets off too lightly when discussing 'worst' characters. David gives her an internship, somewhere to stay (presumably for free) and is a close friend of her family, but she is just awful - consistently rude, turns up late, never makes any attempt to even feign enthusiasm or gratitude. 

I'm not putting her up there with Finchy and Lee, obviously, but I'm not a fan. 

27 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think Donna gets off too lightly when discussing 'worst' characters. David gives her an internship, somewhere to stay (presumably for free) and is a close friend of her family, but she is just awful - consistently rude, turns up late, never makes any attempt to even feign enthusiasm or gratitude. 

I'm not putting her up there with Finchy and Lee, obviously, but I'm not a fan. 

Seconded. Was always annoyed she ended up with the young lad as he seemed pretty sound and she was an ungrateful boot (although living and working with Brent would be a living hell).

Another classic: Because fanny means your arse over there, not your John McVeigh is a tit *eats scotch egg*

I appear to have hit a filter because this should be m.i.n.g.e

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan
Eta

On 14/07/2020 at 08:31, throbber said:

Not only is Lee a downright boring, bigoted arsehole he is also verging on a domestic abuser. He sexually degrades Dawn in the workplace when around mostly other men with his “get the old milkers out for a tenner” comment, he then pushes Tim aggressively when he’s getting too close to Dawn which shows a jealous and a violent side to his already highly unpleasant character. The likes of him talking about their plans to get married at a registry office before moving in with his mum whilst Dawn “gets a couple of kids under her belt” before taking up a part time cleaning job shows a complete lack of respect for anything Dawn wants in life. You can see her look completely demoralised when around him pretty much all the time, almost as if she’s being held there against her will. 

Watched the second series tonight with this in mind and honestly man! There's times when they disagree and he gives her a look and she looks terrified

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Watched the second series tonight with this in mind and honestly man! There's times when they disagree and he gives her a look and she looks terrified

I always got the vibe of him bordering on a domestic abuser even on first watch. Dawn is also in complete denial about how unhappy she is with him, I remember her talking about the important things in life such as how he had “never been out of work” to justify being with him. Probably a mixture of him being a very controlling guy and her being in a rut that she refuses to help herself get out of as it will involve some level of pro activity. 

My favourite scene is still Brent charging into the office singing “I’m coming up so you better get a party started” and then almost instantly being told he’s not invited to the dinner. It also comes right after all of his degrading “celebrity” work when he tries to convince his agent to get him on Parkinson. 

It’s so hilariously tragic - he goes from his cringeworthy public appearances where he is completely degraded and begging his publicist to get him better work to drinking excessively in his hotel room and falling asleep mid sentence before scrubbing himself up and bursting into the office singing about getting the party started only to be humiliated once again. I think those few minutes are criminally underrated. 

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

So are some children. Children don't get special favours. Children aren't disabled, are they? 

Children don’t work in warehouses.

It's all the little touches like Brent's gurning glances to the camera or his cheap looking suit that cement it as an all-timer for me. Which is what makes the laziness of something like Afterlife even funnier.

Edited by NotThePars