The Office Uk

TheScarf

I wonder if Gervais covered any of the back story during the writing process, i know there is a part of the dvd extras that shows them driving around looking for Brent's house. 

What do you suppose you’d find in Brent’s house?

2 minutes ago, smpar said:

What do you suppose you’d find in Brent’s house?

A fridge full of beer and not much else, maybe some empty pizza boxes and half eaten Chinese food in the kitchen, i dont imagine it being manky though. 

This might be an unpopular opinion on this thread, but I genuinely feel sorry for anybody unfamiliar with The Office that was put off from watching it by Life on the Road. The ending of the Christmas specials was as close to perfect as you could feasibly get - there was no need whatsoever to add anything to it, especially something as rubbish and self-defeating as that. 

Yep I’m surprised he went back to Brent after all those years and ending it so perfectly in 2003.

I know for a fact that Martin Freeman wanted it to be left so he was never going to appear in LOTR even if Gervais wrote some of the Office character into it.

8 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

"The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you"
"Why would they say that?!"

I'm not going to wearing the shoes am I?!'

12 pages in and we haven't even mentioned the caretaker, who I only recently learned is Stephen Merchant's dad. Apparently cast because they thought he had a "funny face". He does play the role perfectly, it has to be said. 

ronmerchant.jpg?itok=W1zgd0Ys

12 pages in and we haven't even mentioned the caretaker, who I only recently learned is Stephen Merchant's dad. Apparently cast because they thought he had a "funny face". He does play the role perfectly, it has to be said. 
ronmerchant.jpg?itok=W1zgd0Ys&key=35755bc8b5b9c1a07b89fb2df6b33a6bee3ab9fff1f50a2429c5218dd9188f2b

As funny as it is, I never really ‘got’ those wee scenes. Is the point just that it’s a wee old guy utterly perplexed at seeing TV cameras in the office and he doesn’t know how to handle it?

5 minutes ago, smpar said:

As funny as it is, I never really ‘got’ those wee scenes. Is the point just that it’s a wee old guy utterly perplexed at seeing TV cameras in the office and he doesn’t know how to handle it?

Yeah, that's more or less it. I think it's pretty funny, especially the one when Neil and Gareth have just got out of their meeting, but it could have got a bit repetitive if they had put him in too often.