Recommend A Dog

28 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Labs need plenty exercise or they get fat very easily and quickly. They’ve become a household favourite but they are a working breed.

Any dog we get will be getting exercised regularly. We have a huge fenced off dog park literally 2 minutes walk from the house and another one a 5 minute drive, complete with a load of crufts like obstacles. 

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Any dog we get will be getting exercised regularly. We have a huge fenced off dog park literally 2 minutes walk from the house and another one a 5 minute drive, complete with a load of crufts like obstacles. 

Send vids.

2DFEABDD-AB49-4568-9293-37CC9D764068.gif

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Send vids.

2DFEABDD-AB49-4568-9293-37CC9D764068.gif

f**k, I should've taken the daft b*****d next door when I had the chance. He would've just run straight through everything. 

Why did you not tell me before?

25 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

I had a chocolate in the past and you're right in regards to exercise. It's also the case that owners simply overfeed them. I was initially shocked at just how little feeding they need to maintain a healthy weight, a cup full of good quality dried food 2 x a day was the ideal amount for our one. The problem with labs is that they don't have an off button when it comes to food and are terrible scavengers. They will literally eat until they throw up and then do it all over again given the chance 

Yup, total grubbers!

15 hours ago, johnnydun said:

More chance of our Spaniel biting one of the kids than the Rottweiler.

They have such a bad rep but it all depends on how the dog is trained and brought up, no matter what the breed. Any dog has the capability to "rip a childs face off". They are the same size and build as a large Labrador but you probably wouldn't question if a teenager could walk it.

I don’t think they have that bad a rep now with Staffies and Pitbulls around but they certainly did 20 years ago. They are still mean looking dogs so some people train them to be more aggressive so their reputation might still be bad among some people. I still wouldn’t bother taking the risk around small children and don’t see the point in getting a dog that would out power most teenagers who were out walking it. Same goes for black Labradors although Rottweilers are much stronger.

I don’t particularly want a dog although I will no doubt get talked into it when the kids are a little older and once the novelty has worn off the kids and the Mrs will be bored of it and it will be down to me to look after the dog that i never really wanted in the first place, much like Dee Man.

Edited by throbber

Would also say don't be in too much of a rush to neuter/spay your new pup. My uncle and aunt got a labrador puppy 7 years ago and the dog was humping stuff from the moment it could walk. They wound up getting him neutered when he was about 6months old thinking that this would solve everything. Recent research shows that early neutering can cause problems later in life but vets will often encourage you to get it done asap.

Not sure if it's connected tobthe early neutering but said lab is now a big lump and somehow weighs the same as our two medium/large mongrels combined. That could also be partly down to the garbage dry food he gets fed mind you. 

17 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Would also say don't be in too much of a rush to neuter/spay your new pup. My uncle and aunt got a labrador puppy 7 years ago and the dog was humping stuff from the moment it could walk. They wound up getting him neutered when he was about 6months old thinking that this would solve everything. Recent research shows that early neutering can cause problems later in life but vets will often encourage you to get it done asap.

Not sure if it's connected tobthe early neutering but said lab is now a big lump and somehow weighs the same as our two medium/large mongrels combined. That could also be partly down to the garbage dry food he gets fed mind you. 

Just read earlier that the ideal time to get them neutered is around 14 months. 

54 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Renton’s testosterone became an issue once he was about 2. Any dog that showed aggression to him would get a pasting and he tried to f**k everything. Much more relaxing and trustworthy now, knowing he’s not going to shred/shag wee dogs etc when he meets them. 

Edited by Shandon Par

41 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

We were hoping to wait until Morse was 2 to get him done but he has a retained bollock so will probably need to get him snipped sooner rather than later.

I had a chocolate in the past and you're right in regards to exercise. It's also the case that owners simply overfeed them. I was initially shocked at just how little feeding they need to maintain a healthy weight, a cup full of good quality dried food 2 x a day was the ideal amount for our one. The problem with labs is that they don't have an off button when it comes to food and are terrible scavengers. They will literally eat until they throw up and then do it all over again given the chance  

My next door neighbour has a chocolate lab, as did one of my mums neighbours. Can confirm that they are bonkers, and will turn into barrels given half a chance

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d recommend people stop domesticating animals.  It’s just a power trip, often disguised as something else.

Ludicrous post. 

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d recommend people stop domesticating animals.  It’s just a power trip, often disguised as something else.

Having a filthy, barely house-trained stinking animal in the house can’t be pleasant. Don’t know how Mrs Danger puts up with you tbh.

Mum and dad rescued a Cocker Spaniel ( was aged 2 now 13) and he overall has always been an arsehole when it comes to attention of other dogs and children he dislikes. He was 13 last week and still doing decent health wise however. 
Wouldn't recommend a Cocker Spaniel unless you got them as a pup and trained them properly 
Rescue dogs however are the way forward :)

7 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Animal owners are control freaks. Worse than Hilter. 

Same with child owners. Bringing little humans into the world and then telling them what to do like a little mini-dictatorship in their homes. Absolute scum.