Recommend A Dog

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

get a saluki x greyhound
bone idle, very rarely bark so handy if you have neighbours.

very popular with burglars. They’ll be rummaging around your living room while the dog just yawns and goes back to sleep as everything (including itself) disappears into a sack.

7 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've had one pedigree lab and a couple of crosses - one lab/border collie and our current boy, who is a lab/cocker* cross. Both the previous dogs have been great family dogs - family members, almost, and Casper looks set fair to continue the tradition.

*Mrs WRK informed me that this makes him, in the current parlance, a Spanador. A quick look at the glaikit stare evident in the Show Us Your Dogs thread will show that my retort of "fucking Spanner, more like" was entirely apposite.

Mrs WRK is way off the mark here. The correct nomeclature for Casper is a "labiaspan".

6 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

When our old cat was on the way out, we seriously considered getting a dog next and we had that difficult conversation where we realised we had diametrically different ideas on what kind of dog we wanted, with her gravitating towards something wee and yappy along the lines of a King Charles spaniel and me wanting some manner of red-eyed hellhound. There's a guy at the far end of our street I sometimes see walking one of those terrified/shaky-looking wee Yorkshire terriers that clearly belongs to his missus and I really didn't want to end up like him.

In the end up we just got a couple of new cats, but when we went to the rescue place to pick them up, I took a wander down to the dog kennels anyway to see what was up for adoption and it just seemed to be row after row of Staffies...

Sadly staffys are popular with a certain type of guy who is scum and want one to make them appear to be an extension of themselves in terms of being hard and brutal. However after a few years the novelty wears off and they get punted with many problems.

4 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Its a shame as Staffies can be really lovely dogs

Absolutely, my girlfriend has one who is 13 and still absolutely nuts but is an absolute woose, scared of loads of random things and if he gets gets bitten by a dog he tries to pump (a regular occurance for the old shagger) he runs to you all greety. I know Im not painting the best picture of him but he's so different t  compared to my lab retriever x in a good way.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t understand why you’d opt for a Rottweiler if you have small children around. Even if they’re as well natured as owners claim they are still incredibly strong and if they snapped for whatever reason could easily rip a child’s face apart, it seems like an unnecessary risk to have around the house. Even taking them on a lead would be a struggle for an average teenager. 

More chance of our Spaniel biting one of the kids than the Rottweiler.

They have such a bad rep but it all depends on how the dog is trained and brought up, no matter what the breed. Any dog has the capability to "rip a childs face off". They are the same size and build as a large Labrador but you probably wouldn't question if a teenager could walk it.

very popular with burglars. They’ll be rummaging around your living room while the dog just yawns and goes back to sleep as everything (including itself) disappears into a sack.
He's more likely to try and mooch food from said burglars. 40 mph couch potato.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

My mate has a rescue, she was shipped up here from Georgia; she’s some sort of mix of pit, hound and cow and everyone in the world is her best friend apart from the vaccuum cleaner; f**k the vacuum cleaner.

Must be quite a unique looking dog.

Edited by Rizzo

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Sadly staffys are popular with a certain type of guy who is scum and want one to make them appear to be an extension of themselves in terms of being hard and brutal. However after a few years the novelty wears off and they get punted with many problems.

Absolutely, my girlfriend has one who is 13 and still absolutely nuts but is an absolute woose, scared of loads of random things and if he gets gets bitten by a dog he tries to pump (a regular occurance for the old shagger) he runs to you all greety. I know Im not painting the best picture of him but he's so different t  compared to my lab retriever x in a good way.

Aye, I wonder how many of those awaiting rehoming - and it was honestly not far off 90% of the dogs they had in at that point - were acquired by some neddy scumbag as a status symbol and turned out to be big disappointing soft pets rather than the Claymore mine with teeth folk like that no doubt hope for in a dog.

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I have a Rottweiler and they are excellent family pets, if raised from pup. They have so much patience with the kids, very loyal, obedient and highly protective (you might not see that as a good thing).

We also rescued a 1 year old Rottweiler a few years back, that was clearly bad used before we got him, I do not recommended going down this route if you have kids as this can be dangerous for the kids and ultimately the dog, as we sadly discovered.

We also have a Springer x Cocker, he has endless energy, really good natured but at times, a complete pain in the arse!

Here is a photo of them with the king of the castle perched high....

20191010_143446.jpg

Get Diego, back on the cat thread. m8.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I have a Rottweiler and they are excellent family pets, if raised from pup. They have so much patience with the kids, very loyal, obedient and highly protective (you might not see that as a good thing).

We also rescued a 1 year old Rottweiler a few years back, that was clearly bad used before we got him, I do not recommended going down this route if you have kids as this can be dangerous for the kids and ultimately the dog, as we sadly discovered.

We also have a Springer x Cocker, he has endless energy, really good natured but at times, a complete pain in the arse!

Here is a photo of them with the king of the castle perched high....

20191010_143446.jpg

That looks like some sort of weird dog centipede type experiment you've done.

9 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

We had a Great Dane hen I was a kid -  must have been dying for a slash one night - he knew he would get into trouble if he pissed on the floor of the boiler-room where he slept, so he ate his way through a door to get out into the backyard and relieve himself. Said door was faced with galvanised metal, and the poor fucker was shitting tiny shiny shurikens for days afterwards. No long-lasting side-efects, mind. (He also ate one of those big steel dog bowls. Mental)

Dogs can have amazing strength sometimes. I knew someone who had a staffy and it broke into a locked cupboard and ate an entire frozen spaghetti bolognese. It looked like an Oompa Loompa, pure orange.

Some good points so far. A few other factors you should probably consider...

How many hours a week are you willing to spend training the dog? Some breeds make this an easier process than others. 

How big is your garden, and is it fenced?

The age of your daughter. Toddlers can make a dog's life stressful and some breeds aren't a good fit.

What is your tolerance for barking / shedding?

What is your activity level? Some dogs are happy with a nightly  constitutional, others need a bucket load of exercise.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

More chance of our Spaniel biting one of the kids than the Rottweiler.

They have such a bad rep but it all depends on how the dog is trained and brought up, no matter what the breed. Any dog has the capability to "rip a childs face off". They are the same size and build as a large Labrador but you probably wouldn't question if a teenager could walk it.

^^^ this is the absolute true-ism of thread. Get any dog you want, treat it well, feed it well, train it well and - most importantly love it - and it’ll be absolutely fine. 

As has been said, certain breeds attract certain types of owner and they then exhibit certain types of behaviours. It’s not the dogs fault, it’s the owners. Boils my piss.

Sweeping generalisation but Staffies  get a generally bad rep because they tend to get picked up by arseholes. Labradors get an easy ride because they tend to get taken in by middle class families. Make of that what you will. 

Re-reading the original post, if you want a jogging pal, I’m going to suggest a lab/collie cross. 

Best advice to the OP is "never buy or own a dog".

"Want a big 'manly' one that's bred to hunt lions, don't want anything small, fluffy... I have children..."

Just don't bother you don't have the right temperament.