Recommend A Dog

We had two Golden Retrievers when I was a bairn, and our current dog, Rosie the Dog, is a Cocker Spaniel. Both are brilliant breeds of dogs, and perfect as family pets. Cockers obviously require a lot more exercise (especially the working variety), but they are so much fun. Mum has a Golden Retriever up the road and Belle and Rosie the Dog were born a day apart and are genuinely best mates. Great laugh when we go home to visit.

IMG_E3527.thumb.JPG.fb5955c9bda1324a196ef17855956b71.JPG

IMG_E3528.thumb.JPG.5b07228917795fb02d2b967571560ce9.JPG

Dogs are the absolute best.  

Dogs.

1665640295_smudgerlook.jpg.076eb37938521a2f55f41d348ed3c9a3.jpg

Get a Felus Domesticus. 

A tail at one end, a cold nose at the other and a purr in the middle. What's not to like? 

A pal of mine has a Boston Terrier. It's cute, fairly intelligent but not a dug for a lazy b*****d as it's hyperactive. 

I wouldn't rule out wee dogs because they are all yappy. They are only yappy if you don't properly train them. I've got two wee Cairn Terriers and they are great wee dogs. Full of personality and great with the kids. Also, will walk all day long, so great company for me hillwalking.

I'd also second the whippet/greyhound/lurcher suggestions. I had a few when I was younger. Happy to walk and run, even happier when sleeping!

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

On a note of which dog I would recommend, Newfoundland, great docile dogs with a huge personality.

And a belly that never fills. I was speaking to a woman in Dundee who has one who says she averages out at about £45 a week feeding him. 

He's beautiful though. :wub:

Edited by Mr. Alli

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Labradoodle.

3 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

I know two people with Labradoodles. Cracking dogs but extremely hyper. I accept this is a very small sample size and might be way off though.

My wifes parents have one small labradoodle, and decided to get a giant one to go along with it.

They are absolutely mental.

Any auld labradors that I've seen tend tae be barrels of fat.
These are the twa dugs I've had.
A Rough Collie and a Boxer and both lived for 14 years.
piper01.jpg.6925d4cea60c89e361f7ffe312afbcf3.jpgduffy01.jpg.8af3cc28b09a76bb3719bedfb96c8726.jpg

Boxers are 100% the best family dog you can get. Full of love, full of fun, enjoy a good stroll and you never get a dull moment and are very protective. We’ve had two and I’ll never buy another breed.ecdeec4c-9acc-4641-b38f-466734655150.jpg

As others have said, get a rescue dog as opposed to paying thousands for some inbred pedigree thing. We rescued a saluki x greyhound about 9 years ago.

These types are bone idle, very rarely bark so handy if you have neighbours and has just been a brilliant dog since we got him.

I don’t understand why you’d opt for a Rottweiler if you have small children around. Even if they’re as well natured as owners claim they are still incredibly strong and if they snapped for whatever reason could easily rip a child’s face apart, it seems like an unnecessary risk to have around the house. Even taking them on a lead would be a struggle for an average teenager. 

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t understand why you’d opt for a Rottweiler if you have small children around. Even if they’re as well natured as owners claim they are still incredibly strong and if they snapped for whatever reason could easily rip a child’s face apart, it seems like an unnecessary risk to have around the house. Even taking them on a lead would be a struggle for an average teenager. 

If only you'd been fed to a rottweiler as a youngster the world would be a better place throbbz. 

2 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Its a shame as Staffies can be really lovely dogs

Same here; a lot of places have banned pit bulls and if you hand them into animal control they’ll just euthanize them. Chicago hasn’t, so our rescues are just pibble after pibble after pibble. My mate has a rescue, she was shipped up here from Georgia; she’s some sort of mix of pit, hound and cow and everyone in the world is her best friend apart from the vaccuum cleaner; f**k the vacuum cleaner.

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:

Boxers are 100% the best family dog you can get. Full of love, full of fun, enjoy a good stroll and you never get a dull moment and are very protective. We’ve had two and I’ll never buy another breed.ecdeec4c-9acc-4641-b38f-466734655150.jpg

I agree. It's the beautiful profile they have. You can tell a Boxer a mile away by the shape of its head.

This is Duffy on an expensive stamp.

duffy.jpg.4b8afbfde2e712aedd0630007cb19e88.jpg