Recommend A Dog

8 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Labradoodle.

I know two people with Labradoodles. Cracking dogs but extremely hyper. I accept this is a very small sample size and might be way off though.

Just got one mate with one and it's well chilled. So I'd say our data set makes the evidence inconclusive.

Edited by welshbairn

50 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I reckon at some point this year we're going to get a dog. If it was just up to me I'd have a Rhodesian Ridgeback but the wife isn't keen on anything that has the potential to over-power our daughter, but I definitely want a medium to large sized dog so it's a bit of a quandary. 

The daughter wants a Pomeranian but that's not happening. Everyone in the family has promised to take any dog we get a daily walk but guaranteed after the novelty has worn off it will be muggins here out every day, cleaning up after it and there's no chance I'm going to be seen with what is essentially a fluffy rat. 

Ideally we'd want a good family dog that would also make a good guard dog and enjoys going for a jog. Everything currently is pointing to a Labrador but I'm open to suggestions.

What do y'all recommend?

May I also recommend that you call it Jocky?

Thank you.

You were of course correct with your initial thought. A labrador. Hands down the best family dog you'll get. Labrador-crosses also get my vote as you'll get all the benefits of the breed but less likely to come with some of the later life issues (dodgy hips, etc) that can affect some of the less diversely bred. 

Price should absolutely not be any sort of factor in your choice though.  A seems-to-cheap-to-be-true is likely only going to cause significant heartache down the line. You've got 10-15 years with the thing. Spread the initial cost over its lifespan and it'll end up making zero odds whether you've homed a rescue or paid $AU000's for it.

And watch where you're getting it from - that'll tell you as much about the dog as anything. Those that are happy to palm you off with a dog at the earliest opportunity should be treated with some caution; those that give you a thorough grilling about your family, lifestyle, work habits and the dog's future care (to the point of you wondering if they ever actualy want to let you have a dog) are absolutely the ones to deal with. 

It is however an absolutely fabulous addition to any family and I commend your decision!       

Edited by alta-pete

52 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I reckon at some point this year we're going to get a dog. If it was just up to me I'd have a Rhodesian Ridgeback but the wife isn't keen on anything that has the potential to over-power our daughter, but I definitely want a medium to large sized dog so it's a bit of a quandary. 

The daughter wants a Pomeranian but that's not happening. Everyone in the family has promised to take any dog we get a daily walk but guaranteed after the novelty has worn off it will be muggins here out every day, cleaning up after it and there's no chance I'm going to be seen with what is essentially a fluffy rat. 

Ideally we'd want a good family dog that would also make a good guard dog and enjoys going for a jog. Everything currently is pointing to a Labrador but I'm open to suggestions.

What do y'all recommend?

Labs are great, all dogs are individuals right enough though, so picking temperament on breed is useful but not the whole story. 

I have a Rottweiler and they are excellent family pets, if raised from pup. They have so much patience with the kids, very loyal, obedient and highly protective (you might not see that as a good thing).

We also rescued a 1 year old Rottweiler a few years back, that was clearly bad used before we got him, I do not recommended going down this route if you have kids as this can be dangerous for the kids and ultimately the dog, as we sadly discovered.

We also have a Springer x Cocker, he has endless energy, really good natured but at times, a complete pain in the arse!

Here is a photo of them with the king of the castle perched high....

20191010_143446.jpg

When our old cat was on the way out, we seriously considered getting a dog next and we had that difficult conversation where we realised we had diametrically different ideas on what kind of dog we wanted, with her gravitating towards something wee and yappy along the lines of a King Charles spaniel and me wanting some manner of red-eyed hellhound. There's a guy at the far end of our street I sometimes see walking one of those terrified/shaky-looking wee Yorkshire terriers that clearly belongs to his missus and I really didn't want to end up like him.

In the end up we just got a couple of new cats, but when we went to the rescue place to pick them up, I took a wander down to the dog kennels anyway to see what was up for adoption and it just seemed to be row after row of Staffies...

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

giphy.gif

That clip will be played a lot come the robot uprising in a hundred years' time.

Here's a pug story. The wife's aunt had a couple and they skitter about the place constantly like wee lizards, making bizarre wee grunting and panting noises to themselves (because they're a genetic nightmare and designed not to be able to live without surgery). Whenever we went over, they'd run around my feet in circles until I sat down, then would scramble up onto my torso, attach themselves to my beard, and chew on it like a pacifier. That was me stuck "nursing" the pair of them for the whole visit.

For every P&Ber reading this and thinking, "f**k that shit," there's be a P&Ber's wife reading over their shoulder and saying, "aww, why don't we get one of those?"

Also, huskies/malamutes - they need more exercise than the average family will be able to give them, and will destroy your house if you leave them alone. They are strong as f**k. Lovely dogs, even if lots of them have the unnerving psycho killer eyes, but they need to be working, and preferably doing something strenuous (like, I dunno, pulling sleds in the Arctic). If there's no work to do, they will find some, make no mistake, even if that work is ripping your front door off its hinges.

I had never wanted a dog but the Mrs eventually talked me round( warning to all you single guys- they always win![emoji6])
We got a wee Border Terrier. They have bundles of energy and are great with kids. They are not too big, ours will happily sit at the feet on the passenger side on car journeys.
Not sure if they are much use as a guard dog, ours would probably just lick any intruder, unless they were dressed as a squirrel then they would have no chance.
Now that we have a dog I can’t imagine what life was like before we had her. I certainly have no regrets.

Also, huskies/malamutes - they need more exercise than the average family will be able to give them, and will destroy your house if you leave them alone. They are strong as f**k. Lovely dogs, even if lots of them have the unnerving psycho killer eyes, but they need to be working, and preferably doing something strenuous (like, I dunno, pulling sleds in the Arctic). If there's no work to do, they will find some, make no mistake, even if that work is ripping your front door off its hinges.
Haha Dave knows what hes talking about

1591352381825.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

1591352381825.jpeg

We had a Great Dane hen I was a kid -  must have been dying for a slash one night - he knew he would get into trouble if he pissed on the floor of the boiler-room where he slept, so he ate his way through a door to get out into the backyard and relieve himself. Said door was faced with galvanised metal, and the poor fucker was shitting tiny shiny shurikens for days afterwards. No long-lasting side-efects, mind. (He also ate one of those big steel dog bowls. Mental)

We had a Great Dane hen I was a kid -  must have been dying for a slash one night - he knew he would get into trouble if he pissed on the floor of the boiler-room where he slept, so he ate his way through a door to get out into the backyard and relieve himself. Said door was faced with galvanised metal, and the poor fucker was shitting tiny shiny shurikens for days afterwards. No long-lasting side-efects, mind. (He also ate one of those big steel dog bowls. Mental)
In all honesty shes not too bad, remember my aunt having a labrador that swallowed socks whole then would get constipated because of said socks but no matter how many times the thicko was in pain he wouldn't learn.

16 minutes ago, Empty It said:

We have a longstanding damp problem in the bottom entranceway to the house, so the door is always kept shut to prevent the animals hanging about down there. There's literally nothing there of any interest, just a wee empty corridor.

First thing one of the wife's malamutes did was to charge the door until it broke. Didn't take him long either; we just arrived home after a few hours out and he'd shattered a heavy wooden door. Thought we'd been burgled at first, but the actual front door was still undamaged and the second door was burst out from the inside.

Thankfully he never took a dislike to the other doors.