Your YouTube guilty pleasures

What random weird videos do you like to watch? 

Currently I’m getting into aviation. I know absolutely nothing about it but there’s a good few videos where the camera is attached to the cockpit window and some of the take off/landing scenes are spectacular. 

There’s also a channel where they recreate air disasters using a game simulator and describe it in detail. 

I’ve watched a couple of “reaction” videos and I can’t make my mind up about them. It’s funny watching them trying to work out a Frankie Boyle joke about Rangers, if nothing else.

I’ve also started to learn a little bit of BSL, despite not knowing a single dead or HOH person, purely down to YouTube. 

Anyone peaked a new interest due to random YouTube browsing?

7 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Anyone piqued a new interest due to random YouTube browsing?

FTFY.

Quite enjoy watching Irish travellers call each other out then have bareknuckle fights in car parks, woods etc. Some truly incredible polo shirts on display. Sometimes tempted to posted a YouTube vid calling out another poster. 

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

FTFY.

Quite enjoy watching Irish travellers call each other out then have bareknuckle fights in car parks, woods etc. Some truly incredible polo shirts on display. Sometimes tempted to posted a YouTube vid calling out another poster. 

You’re more fucked up than you realise.

On a similar vein, Instagram stories showed a random woodworking skills clip and I'm now an avid watcher. 

Folk making tables from washed up logs or turning & carving things. All very sad but utterly hypnotic. 

By far my favourite has been Beau Miles. He's an Australian kayaker/runner who has attempted to kayak along the coast of South Africa, kayak along the Bass Strait, run along the Aussie Alps, run a mile every hour for a day, eat his bodyweight in beans, among others. The videos are genuinely well shot and produced, some of the footage is incredible, some of the people he meets are really cool and he just seems like a top bloke.

I've also been watching GeoWizard who does a mix of GeoGussr videos, time trials and stuff, and some real-life ones too. He tries to cross Wales in a straight line which was a decent watch. He has a series where he goes from Barcelona to Berlin with his mate without pay for public transport and relying on the kindness of people too, they get up to a bunch of cool shit.

Jay Foreman is really good, he does a series called Unfinished London which talks about things that and also Map Men where they talk about different maps, their meanings and strange things about them. The videos are all very well produced and hold their own despite being almost 10 years old. Educational and funny too. Even the adverts he makes are pretty funny. He also has a friend Geoff Marshall who goes around the least visited train stations throughout the UK amongst other things. 

I guess this is more a list of things I've found more interesting rather than guilty pleasures.

Edited by Smurph

Posh house tours in Los Angeles from a few different youtubers, not something that I'd usually have watched but I've basically just been watching YouTube throughout the clockdown, apart from a few things on Netflix. 

Jelle's Marble Runs is one that I find quite entertaining. 

The History Guy is also a channel I like.  It's mostly just a guy talking with pictures superimposed but his voice and presentation style is really good

Edited by senorsoupe

90's advert compilations
tabletop wargaming battle reports
"competitive" eating challenges
animal attack compilations
korean girl group music videos
Simon Ferrys Open Goal

My main YouTube guilty pleasure is flight reviews, with the occasional train or hotel review thrown in. Points Guy UK, Noel Philips and Paul Lucas are probably the three I watch most. 

I know it should be boring, just watching other people sauntering around an airport and sitting on a plane for 25 minutes. But I suppose there must be something I find cathartic about watching people I don't know, and occasionally find to be mildly irritating, reviewing journeys that I will likely never have any reason to take myself. Especially if they are making a nuisance of themselves in first class. 

Despite never having done a sudoku in my life, I've found myself watching the Youtube channel "Cracking the Cryptic" - where a Sudoku champion completes weird and difficult sudoku live. The best thing about them is him effusing over the puzzles ... "Oh this is gorgeous logic" and so on. 

Currently I’m getting into aviation. I know absolutely nothing about it but there’s a good few videos where the camera is attached to the cockpit window and some of the take off/landing scenes are spectacular. 
There’s also a channel where they recreate air disasters using a game simulator and describe it in detail. 
I’ve watched a couple of “reaction” videos and I can’t make my mind up about them. It’s funny watching them trying to work out a Frankie Boyle joke about Rangers, if nothing else.
I’ve also started to learn a little bit of BSL, despite not knowing a single dead or HOH person, purely down to YouTube. 

Is that British Spirit Language for speaking to dead people?

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I don't really watch too much on Youtube but Guillaume Laffon's take-off/landing videos are a thing of beauty.

The other one I check in on regularly is "The Coaches Voice". Basically some interviews with coaches, managers etc. The best ones are where they pick a particular match and talk through the tactics they used.

I once watched a full 2:44:53 reconstruction of 9/11 with flight simulations, air traffic control audio recordings, TV footage, video camera footage, emergency service recordings etc. from start to finish. Have also watched realtime news footage from one of the American channels from the day and listened to Howard Stern’s show “as it happened” from the day in question. It’s so morbidly fascinating and there’s a weird nostalgia to the news footage.

I also watched the Trevor McDonald show where Martin Bashir interviews the Stephen Lawrence suspects as it holds a similar weird nostalgia and fascination.