Virtual Season Ticket

27 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

It maybe does seem pricey but I do understand it from a Saints point of view. They sold Season Tickets on the basis of access to live games on Saints TV. What's the point of people forking out all that cash just for the PPV customer to come along and pay a tenner or whatever?

I think a better option would have been a league wide package, 'SPFL TV' or whatever and it's revenue shared equally. That, however, requires joined up thinking and the clubs all acting like big boys and girls.

The BCD'S games should be used as a test to see how much clubs can make through club tv when the core of the support can't get in.
Fans will always go back to games but if it's done right and promoted the correct way it will give clubs a look at what could be generated in the future.
Cutting out the middle man (sky) is the way forward for clubs.

Just start planning without sky after this deal ends! The current deal is circa 32m a season, you would need 133,000 subscribers to make 32m a year at £20 a month. Obviously overheads etc but my point is that I honesty believe that we could bit 250,000+ subscribers  worldwide which would leave us 60m a year tv deal minus cost.  Could screen every game via red button? Adverts and sponsorship would all help to pay for the overheads. Not saying that this is the solution but I just wish that the people at the top of our game would actually innovate and try and do things differently. 

The BCD'S games should be used as a test to see how much clubs can make through club tv when the core of the support can't get in.
Fans will always go back to games but if it's done right and promoted the correct way it will give clubs a look at what could be generated in the future.
Cutting out the middle man (sky) is the way forward for clubs.
Have to agree.

I follow a team in the Elite Hockey League and all bar a couple of them do a live stream, mostly good quality, of all their home games. I think they maybe charge an average of about a tenner a game.

Most geoblock people in a certain radius - maybe 20 miles or whatever - but it's available to everyone else in the UK and beyond. Now, it's more than likely mostly away fans that purchase the streams but all the clubs seem to report that they are a very valuable income stream and that is what stops them getting a big TV deal.

I don't know if it would work exactly the same in Scottish football, but the assumption would be it could. Even if say, a couple of hundred Ross County/Saints/Motherwell etc folk purchased a stream for all their away games that is good income that the home club would never get - the likelihood is that fan would have no intention of travelling anyway.

Obviously there's other away supporters that would likely buy in bigger numbers. You can safely assume it would be a money spinner.

On 28/07/2020 at 13:01, BrendanGalloway said:

Just start planning without sky after this deal ends! The current deal is circa 32m a season, you would need 133,000 subscribers to make 32m a year at £20 a month. Obviously overheads etc but my point is that I honesty believe that we could bit 250,000+ subscribers  worldwide which would leave us 60m a year tv deal minus cost.  Could screen every game via red button? Adverts and sponsorship would all help to pay for the overheads. Not saying that this is the solution but I just wish that the people at the top of our game would actually innovate and try and do things differently. 

I honestly don't think we could get 250,000 subscribers at £20/month for the SPFL on its own.  You might get 250,000 subs at say £12 or £14 per month but not at £20/month. It's also a huge risk for the SPFL to take, that wouldn't necessarily pay off.

3 hours ago, akuram said:

I don’t think £20 or our £17.50 is at all unreasonable. More than one person can view the match and no travel costs.

Even if you were able to watch all of your teams games throughout the season? See the league of Ireland have went it alone, streaming every game. You can buy a season ticket for €55 and watch up to 55 games throughout season or a individual game is €5.99. Be interesting to see how it goes. Think they are way too cheap for season ticket though. 

2 hours ago, Casual Observer said:

Aye it sure is, just ask Hibs & Killie fans

It is if you sign up for Hibs TV International - 2 home and 2 away games for 17.99 in the first month.  f**k Sky, that will do for me. 

Point is it can be easy, but it is invariably not for UK based punters.  

• 2 months later...

Thought it worth bringing this one back.

Apart from the Killie match that Hibs got a pounding for not showing, we are tonight on the first actual PPV at Easter Road (all others having been on sky etc).

£15 ppv v hamilton, not bad.

Hibs just confirmed the detail v Brora in the Betfred - Free for Season Ticket holders, £9.99 for anyone else.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10758

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any publication of viewing/attendance figures for the games played so far?

Would be interested to see how much a hit football is taking, if any. Ideally I'd love to hear that the virtual attendances are far higher than comparative physical attendance figures for the games. Would give us some bargaining chips when we next bend over to get shafted by negotiate with  SKY/BT.

I hadn’t realised how this could be used as a money laundering service.  I gain £12.50 from nefarious activities, I give it to Kilmarnock, they send me a clean £12.50 back, to make sure, I send it on to St Mirren and, if they play the game, they will send it back squeaky clean.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

I hadn’t realised how this could be used as a money laundering service.  I gain £12.50 from nefarious activities, I give it to Kilmarnock, they send me a clean £12.50 back, to make sure, I send it on to St Mirren and, if they play the game, they will send it back squeaky clean.

One of these days somebody's going to keep your £12.50. Maybe.

33 minutes ago, ropy said:

This ruse may be of interest to the chaps at Livingston.