Sunlun

CM.

Mackem saying: Sunlun

Translation: Sunderland. A city by the sea in the North-East of England

We say: "I'm managing Sunlun marra."

What we mean is: "I am managing Sunderland mate."

image.png.a54d6e42afeccbaf15cfaff93dea316a.png

So aye, the Vale of Clyde career bored me pretty easily so while my Aberdeen save I've been playing the last few weeks takes a breather, I thought I'd embark on a new story thread. FWIW I've never seen an episode of 'Sunderland till I die', just fancied going them. Currently languishing in league 1, we really should be getting promoted.

First task was shifting a couple of coaches and the assistant manager (can't even remember their names now) to bring my own guys in. Joining the club were

Assistant Manager - John Collins
Coach - Wes Brown
Coach - Kevin Phillips

Pleased with these additions. Collins has a lot of the same ideas as me on how he wants to play, and it's fair to say our players should be a lot fitter working under him (I've let him take training). Brown and Phillips vastly experienced individuals who know the club well which is always a bonus.

Edited by C. Muir

With me having played up till the end of August and therefore the transfer window shut let's have a look at the squad. No players sold yet, 3 coming in who'll be described briefly in this post.

Goalkeepers

image.png.0626175cb542f6245ec1ff715a9c42f0.png

Defenders

image.png.6bb03d7d1ce92423f89e5895e1a474d3.png

Dasilva a new signing. £775k from Brentford. Nothing special just now but young, good potential and is comfortable on either side. Wright out injured for 2-3 months which he was when I started the save. I use O'Nien more in midfield when he plays.

Midfielders

image.png.f3d0b33040a2a7b060590a810341c50c.png

Paterson and Jones both brought in on loan by me. The wide areas were positions I felt needed strengthened the most. So in came they 2 laonees, only before I realised I was able to recall Aiden McGeady from his Charlton loan :lol: So plenty of options there now.

Strikers

image.png.ab66bf17ff8cf8747eb57018ae95e6b4.png

Paterson and Semenyo listed here too, can't see me ever playing Paterson as a striker but Semenyo very comfortable both up front and on either wing so his role (if he gets one) will probably be chopped and changed throughout.

August 2019

image.thumb.png.5ad201060c0428bb9276fefd55ecac3e.png

Couldn't ask for much more the first few games. McGeady was recalled just before the Rotherham game and managed a goal and assist. Nottingham Forest in the cup was a chance to establish ourselves against Championship opposition and while we played well enough, a late goal sealed our fate. Oxford game was very frustrating, we were 1-0 behind before a perfectly good looking equaliser was disallowed for offside. Straight after that Oxford went 2 up and Griggs late penalty wasn't enough to avoid a first league defeat.

Max Power, what a name, what a player. And what an apt name he has considering he loves a maximum power screamer from outside the area. He won the divisions player of the month for August, and could have had his own goal of the month competition too.

Tough September coming up, with 4 away games at sides all well fancied to have good campaigns. EFL trophy will be an opportunity for fringe players and some of the better reserves to get a run out.

image.png.5d960e1cb86107bd602472ff43551f8c.png

September 2019

image.thumb.png.4856fb3a442d962897dc75cd91352076.png

Couldn't give a hoot about the EFL trophy, not important in the boards expectations either.

Rollercoaster game at Coventry followed by utter dominance against Rochdale which is a better result than it looks on paper as they were the surprise package at the beginning of the season and that victory ended their unbeaten start. Speaking of unbeaten starts, I also ended Portsmouths a few days later. They 2 results made the garbage home defeat to MK Dons all the tougher to take. Was happy enough myself with the draws at Peterborough and Blackpool but as the board expectations are promotion by winning the league they were seen as "concerning" results :lol:

Grigg's done okay but I need to improve the options up top. Lafferty has a good rating but only managed 1 goal so far. Wyke and Semenyo have made a couple of appearences each up too and not shown much. Semenyo only on loan of course but if I get promoted I can't see any of the other strikers being here as I'm not convinced they're good enough for the Championship when they aren't exactly firing on all cylinders in League One.

image.png.d7d43106cfcfcbc628aa34c4fb48cdcc.png

Early days but plenty of sides up there who will fancy a crack at it. In other news, Fleetwood's abysmal start to the season meant Joey Barton recieved his marching orders half way through the month.

October is an easier month on paper so hopefully the same on the park.

image.png.9a87014681f9ea30ac40f8f8543f2972.png

October 2019

image.thumb.png.cef93a3ae89dd831e2471573bcfb908e.png

That'll do very nicely indeed. Nice of Will Grigg to throw my comment about none of the strikers setting the heather alight back in my face with a superb return this month. Player of the month for the division too. I still feel I'm very short of quality if he gets injured though.

image.png.00bb5c6cdbd71057ba0800122a104a05.png

Nice to open up a small cushion, although keeping our eye on Coventry who have 2 games in hand over us and would go 1 point behind if they win both.

Onto November.

image.png.9af5da974375732d658baca9f729d397.png

Would've liked a diddy team in the FA Cup since I enter the first round but at least it's at home.

November 2019

I was able to postpone the Gillingham game due to having players on international duty, then it got postponed again due to FA cup replay so play that game in December now.

image.thumb.png.68375530062b914b6a5965ad9649b0d0.png

Easy street at Accrington. Disappointing early exit in the FA Cup. Just couldn't find a way past them over 210 mins and lost the lottery. Major pain in the arse having Burton away 2 days after playing 180 mins but we plodded through and got a good win in the end. The win in the EFL trophy means progession from the group stage to the next round where I'm away to League 2 Macclesfield. I might give this competition a little more focus now after going out the FA Cup.

image.png.d02006ca08f3ddf6a5f18667f4cc8877.png

Handy advantage now. Let's hope it maintains.

December has to be the potential to be another strong month.

image.png.8cca2f134b15099aef2fb98af6eed554.png

Always confident at home against anybody and the 2 away games are 17th Tranmere and rock bottom Fleetwood.

December 2019

image.thumb.png.79652b6bafd0048629ea322f3aab1db4.png

Probably the worst month so far performance wise. Encouraging that we've still won most of the games despite not playing well but defeats were annoying. We lead the Southend game before McGeady got himself sent off, we imploded and they scored 2 late goals. Again we were leading against Ipswich and this time 2 set pieces turned the game round for them. Macclesfield clawed us back to 2-2 before the injury time winner. Man City U23s at home in the next round.

image.png.c3b440d78a9733c1f6420bd192c66e4f.png

Still in an excellent positiion. All 4 of the defeats have been at home. Still unbeaten away. Don't know whether to be annoyed or satisfied with that, bit of both really :lol:

image.png.8e9696b719ea68fb6ebf3b581598191d.png

As for January transfer plans, budget is tight (i.e I have nothing to spend :lol:) so anyone joining will be based on anyone leaving. As I mentioned earlier I could be doing with improvement up top but I could probably risk ploughing along with what I've got and addressing the situation in the summer.

Edited by C. Muir

January 2020

image.thumb.png.18244fb66ce1b3c8821df033f06df09c.png

Another below par month performance wise, somehow remaining unbeaten. Pish against Wimbledon with one moment of quality settling it, Doncaster a decent point on the face of it as they won 5 in a row before, another blank against Coventry, 2 late screamers from Jones to turn around a 1-0 deficit to Rotherham, stealing a point from Oxford after a dreadful start where they were 2-0 up after 5 mins and finally a top of the table clash with Peterborough. Down to 10 men just after the restart, Leadbitter scored a Max Power esque screamer. Ivan Toney (a favourite of mine in my Aberdeen save) equalised in the last minute.

image.png.e42a10ebf1e187aac13c732aeb1ede3d.png

Peterborough edging closer after my several draws this month and them winning every game bar the draw against us. Looks like we're going to have an exciting run in with plenty of sides still within reach of automatic promotion.

image.png.9f6d48897c0a24f2df987989029f3ab4.png

Peterborough or Cambridge in the other semi final of the EFL trophy. If I get past Carlisle, no prizes for guessing who I'd rather face from the other semi finalists :lol: Can't see it happening though.

February 2020

image.thumb.png.5d19c60f3aee06d161beac50be7b1f1d.png

Absolutely dreadful start to the month. Really began to worry we were going to chuck it both title and automatic promotion wise but since the team meeting (usually held after a run of poor results) it's been much better. Last 2 games of the month in particular were pleasing. Even if the opposition were/are pish, it's always good to score a few goals. Embleton was promoted from the reserves before the Shrewsbury game and made an instant impact with the opening goal to start the blitz after coming on at half time.

image.png.104a325ab104a8131185e2c751843a14.png

Luckily the 4 point gap at the top from last month has been maintained as Peterborough had the exact same return as me of W3 D1 L2. The chasing pack have caught up a little though.

image.png.6f1598408904fdebc02bebd78a3920f6.png

I know it won't be but I'm really expecting us to kick on and get maximum points this month. EFL trophy is indeed Peterborough in the final and will be played at the start of April.

Edited by C. Muir

4 hours ago, C. Muir said:

image.png.6f1598408904fdebc02bebd78a3920f6.png

I know it won't be but I'm really expecting us to kick on and get maximum points this month.

Nearly..

image.thumb.png.dc7629ae305d422f928db075b7a6e353.png

Delighted that we're starting to score goals, perfect time of the season to do so. Accrington at home moved due to players on international duty.

I'm guaranteed a play off spot now so to save some space I'll just upload the top 6 of the league table before the final full table at the end of the season.

image.png.3d18fe23b9915a852d784f9791572001.png

Just about there. 5 games left and 9 clear of 2nd, 10 clear of play offs.

The run in as follows

image.png.8ed4a3685ca784dcaad89177d19f3ab9.png

Would hope the Ipswich game is meaningless by the time it comes around. Should have enough to clinch/promotion title in the other fixtures against pish opposition.

A trip to Wembley to begin the month. Both the club and I shrugged this tournament off at the start of the season but after giving it some importance after the early FA Cup exit, here we are in the final. Have rotated the squad a fair bit through this tournament to give other players a chance but think I'm going to go full strength for the final and feel quite guilty doing that to the players who've got us here :lol:

Some big news leading up to cup final day!

image.png.e2c750b3a4082d9d31bfe2ed124f20f0.png

image.png.94fd76b4679d0a53490a3b17cb934d60.png

£6,000 p/w over my wage budget so adjusted that to give me £7m transfer and £55k p/w remaining wage budget, that's a decent kitty to take in to next season before taking into consideration the wages of players leaving at the end of their contracts (Duncan Watmores on £15k a week!?) and the initial budgets being set.

Edited by C. Muir

A double has been secured.

image.thumb.png.ef318656865ef88e3eed1cb89b7a6073.png

image.thumb.png.4452da49e64729aad984ac8d74909239.png

We had a 2-2 draw at home to Burton in between these 2 games.

3 league games left, nice relaxed attitude to them since our work is done.

image.png.a1bf7aec60c3d21360ff7f3f0cb7ec97.png

Now leaves me with £104k p/w remaining wage budget before, as I said previously, the wages of players leaving at the end of the season.

Edited by C. Muir

April/May 2020

Already covered half these games, but here's the full round up.

image.thumb.png.99dc68276e502aaddd027880f50748a0.png

Ipswich's win against me on the last day means they join me in the Championship, finishing 2nd.

FInal table

image.png.f12219aab6629018a0e637df1b7317fc.png

Peterborough beat Portsmouth in the play off final 2-0. Siriki Dembele scoring both to ensure they join me and Ipswich in the Championship.

Then...

image.png.eb0c2f5a90b934ca1337b6b3bc42ec3f.png

Lovely.

Here's the numbers for the season, in order of appearances. Decided to leave out players with less than 10 starts. They were Grant Leadbitter, Denver Hume, Charlie Wyke, Elliott Embleton, Duncan Watmore and Tom Flanagan.

Gimage.thumb.png.af8b7dc44e301d4ef445c474b5c38dc9.png

Grigg top scorer by a landslide. Worthy mention for Curtis Jones. Excellent assist returns from Power and Maguire too.

Power highest average rating with Grigg in 2nd.

Cole Dasilva came on very well and his fee of £775k now feels a right bargain.

image.png.f5066a9d2fbe4cf0685e31aee0620e74.png

J. McLaughlin, Dasilva, Smith, Power, O'Nein and Grigg the ones making Team of the Year.

Edited by C. Muir

Season 2020/2021

Transfer window shut before the league starts this season so this will be the squad until at least January barring any free agents signing or players leaving to leagues who's windows are still open.

Players In

image.png.3caf122a7726f7bcc957d9618670fc85.png

I had outlined areas I needed strengthened both in quality and numbers (for instance 3 new strikers as I only had Grigg) and got a player for every requirement.

Goalkeeper - George Long - Back up and good enough to challenge an ageing McLaughlin for the no.1 spot or take his place when he leaves/retires.

Right Back - Dujon Sterling - Will probably start at right back. Conor McLaughlin done nothing wrong last season but has regressed to 2 and a half stars now so Sterling better than that. McLaughlin solid backup option though.

Centre Back - Jimmy Dunne & Craig Dawson - Will be my first choice pairing to begin the season. Tommy Smith and Jordan Willis done fine last season but these 2 are simply better. At least I know I have good backup options though if Dunne and Dawson end up injured or loss of form.

Centre Mid - Jake Forster-Caskey - I didn't strictly need to bring anyone in here as I have a few already but someone who has the ability to step in and a fresh face challenging their spots might bring out the best in my other centre mids.

Winger - Curtis Jones & Ronan Curtis - Forename Curtis returns for a second spell on loan after a great spell last year. Surname Curtis can play on the left, central and up front so he's both versatile and a good player who caused me problems for Pompey last season.

Striker - Troy Parrott, Rhian Brewster & Stipe Perica - 2 really exciting loanees to come in and fight for the starting spot or even play together depending on how my formation alters throughout the season. Perica a big target man type which is always useful for a team to have as an option. Quite harsh on Grigg being 4th choice after his season last year and when he was the only striker we had a couple of weeks ago :lol: But need both quality and options to do well or even survive in a league as tough as the Championship.

Squad depth
Not using the squad depth tab on the game as it gives me players for positions I'll likely never use them in so I will just type out the depth with where I'll be utilising each player in my squad. 

Goalkeeper - Jon McLaughlin, George Long
Right Back - Conor McLaughlin, Dujon Sterling
Left Back - Cole Dasilva, Denver Hume
Centre Back - Craig Dawson, Jimmy Dunne, Jordan Willis, Tommy Smith
Centre Mid - Grant Leadbitter, Max Power, George Dobson, Luke O'Nien, Josh Scowen, Jake Forster-Caskey
Winger - Lynden Gooch, Chris Maguire, Curtis Jones, Ronan Curtis, Siriki Dembele
Striker - Will Grigg, Troy Parrott, Rhian Brewster, Stipe Perica

August schedule

So, finally to the on the park stuff. Here's how our first season back in the Championship begins..

image.png.b746ee035da6f1d96d488642b61ec4dd.png

Could hardly ask for a tougher first game, West Brom 4th favs for promotion behind the 3 sides coming down from the Premier League Aston Villa, Brighton and Watford.

Fulham, Leeds and Preston got promoted to the Premier League, Charlton, Hull and Blackburn (first I've seen them relegated on a FM20 save I think :lol:) down to League 1.

Anyway, after the West Brom game I feel there's a great opportunity there to get some early points on the board.

August 2020

I should've added in the last update that these are the following expectations for the season.

image.png.ab5a24523630cdd643d6c7d1da7252af.png

image.thumb.png.f78d0392cb320fccfe15de4bae7f7fa5.png

Point was the least we deserved on the opening day at West Brom.

Reality check against Brentford, their attacking options are frightening and they ran rings rings round us.

After the Burton EFL Cup game I switched from a 4231 to a 4132 to make us a bit more solid and it has worked a treat. Utter dominance against both sides promoted alongside me (the 5th scorer v Peterborough was Luke O'Nien) followed by an early glut against Luton which in typical FM style wasn't added to.

Changed the whole team for the Morecambe game which we were lucky to get through in. Reward is a home game v Spurs in Round 3.

Comfortable win at rock bottom Birmingham to end the month. I'm delighted with this start and we have played some superb stuff but also do know that the last few fixtures have been kind to us and there are much tougher games ahead. September is still a not bad month on paper, Villa away the obvious tough one in the league.

image.png.4372096e791aac3aca2fa32e2de690ba.png

To round off the month here is the League Table.

image.png.a1cac2a79c5843010def525431dd7caf.png

Edited by C. Muir