Sign in to follow this  

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I don't disguise it but I don't spit if people are within a certain distance of me. I wouldn't spit in the city centre for instance, but if I'm walking to from work it's non stop. Most of the time I don't realise I am doing it.

The spit itself is never the problem but seeing someone do it is pretty unsightly and often intimidating. 

2 hours ago, Smurph said:

Families with kids can be awful too. I realise my job as a waiter is to clean up food and drink after you but it's not my responsibility to clean up the 20 crayons your child has snapped and thrown on the floor, wipe up an artist's palette of macaroni, cheese and ketchup off the table and discard all the various juice bags, sachets and baby wipes that are hidden around a 5 meter radius of where you were sitting. It's just littering but inside. Just have a bit more respect.

I remember sitting next to a family table in PIza Express and they left everything bar soiled nappies on the table - loads and loads of wipes, mess everywhere, the baby chair covered.  I have a two year old, they can be messy but unless they are exceptional circumstances, you can clean it up at least a bit.  

My nightmare in several different jobs has been going into a smoker's house.

On a house clearance, it doesn't matter how clean the external surfaces are, anything that hasn't been looked at in a while is covered in weird tobacco fluff, takes a ton of work to clean, and you never get the smell out of your clothes properly. If you're repairing a smoker's computer, everything on the inside is covered in a thick layer of nicotine grease. I've found dead mice, rats, and live spider nests in computers, but I'll take any of that over that horrible slime. They don't see any of it, either - they'll tell you something that's discoloured brown, greasy, and reeking of foulness is clean. Smoke residue is like bacteria to the rest of us.

So glad the smoking ban came in. Hated the horrible smoke stink that just clung to your clothes and hair.

Has anyone ever ordered something second hand online and, once it's arrived, it's obvious it came from a smoker as it just stinks of rank cigarette smoke? Nasty.

Incidentally, no smoker has yet answered my question, which is why do you think it's acceptable to chuck away your cigarettes once finished and not dispose of them in one of the provided places (most bins have a bit on top for this now)?

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So glad the smoking ban came in. Hated the horrible smoke stink that just clung to your clothes and hair.

Has anyone ever ordered something second hand online and, once it's arrived, it's obvious it came from a smoker as it just stinks of rank cigarette smoke? Nasty.

Incidentally, no smoker has yet answered my question, which is why do you think it's acceptable to chuck away your cigarettes once finished and not dispose of them in one of the provided places (most bins have a bit on top for this now)?

A lot of stuff for sale on ebay and Gumtree state that they come from non-smoking homes. 

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's not littering if it's fag butts or some shite like that

I like the suggestion that school kids, perhaps from Primary 6 to 7, should be taught to bin litter. It should be mandatory across Scotland, once a week they are taken out to litter pick either the school yard or nearby green spaces. If you can’t take them out because it’s pissing down, you teach them about the consequences of littering i.e plastic in the ocean, animals trapped in tin cans, cigarette butts and disposable bbq’s causing wildfires, the reduced aesthetics of a green space as a result. Drum it into their little heads.

Failing that, use the cone.

On another note related to litter, why is our recycling system so utterly utterly shit and complicated in this country? I just discovered recently that “Not Yet Recycled” on the label actually means “there’s a chance it could be recycled but you will have to check locally.” Wtf is that about? The amount of plastic wrapping I go through and the back of the packet says “not yet recycled” is absolutely absurd. Why is it not just recycled everywhere? Does anyone expect a “soft” recycler to be like “ahh okay, let me just check the council website for this baby tomato packet.” Of course they won’t, it’s getting launched into general waste. Shambles.

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I don't disguise it but I don't spit if people are within a certain distance of me. I wouldn't spit in the city centre for instance, but if I'm walking to from work it's non stop. Most of the time I don't realise I am doing it.

You get good at it if you practice, quick glance around and "ting" straight in the gutter drain. Nobody the wiser.

You get good at it if you practice, quick glance around and "ting" straight in the gutter drain. Nobody the wiser.

They just end up in the sea and there's a bunch of studies showing they're toxic and or endocrine disruptors

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

They just end up in the sea and there's a bunch of studies showing they're toxic and or endocrine disruptors

You aren't a homeopath perchance?

You aren't a homeopath perchance?

Aye very good. They end up in the sand and in riverbeds etc.

I remember a fellow no smoker commenting once about smokers ‘they obviously don’t care about their own bodies so why should we expect them to care about anything else!’

7 minutes ago, Disabled Colin said:

Little known fact:  The City of Glasgow has more bins that any other place in Scotland.  

Well known fact:  Glasgow is Scotland's biggest place...

Often archeologists find a lot of the rubbish from the society they are studying. I wonder what concussions people will draw from our fossilised waste in 2000 years time.

Probably that we were all fat, lazy, stupid drunks who deserved to die in the great asteroid strike of New Years Eve 2020.

1 minute ago, Disabled Colin said:

There's defo a correlation between the two.   I've never done a count but I'd bet anything there's more bins in Edinburgh than Aberfoyle.  

You'd think there would be more litter  in the cities than in the countryside.  I live in the highlands and it's worse up here.  They just throw things out there cars rather than wait.  Might not be like that everywhere but in north argyll it is terrible. 

41 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Aye very good. They end up in the sand and in riverbeds etc.

Hang on, thought we were talking about spitting in a drain? If you mean fag butts, rollies are super organic, a drop of rain and they dissolve.

Hang on, thought we were talking about spitting in a drain? If you mean fag butts, rollies are super organic, a drop of rain and they dissolve.
Oh haha i got mixed up nevermind me