Litter

58 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

Where do you stand on smoking breaks at work? In our place some people can easily spend an hour a day  in the smoking shelter letting others cover for them. 

I can wholeheartedly recommend going out with the smokers at fag breaks. They might stink, but generally it seems like the good c***s like a puff.

Also worthwhile for the growing seethe from the other non-smokers who are far, far too busy covering for the smokers to join you.

38 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
1 hour ago, I am Partacus said:
Where do you stand on smoking breaks at work? In our place some people can easily spend an hour a day  in the smoking shelter letting others cover for them. 

Same place as I did when I was a smoker - no more or less time than non smokers. Any piss taking should be addressed either by management or the time honored boot-pie interface.

'Boot-pie interface', I thought you were meant to be a TU rep? Why should smokers get any privilege over non-smokers? In my work we have Flexi clocks, every time the subject of smokers using their own time to indulge their habit, civil war breaks out.

7 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Sorry , but New Year’s Eve in 2020 dec 31 2020 , for the new year of 2021 ,  it’s tapsilteerie , but that’s how it goes 

I think he was subtly saying "It's Hogmanay, not New Year's Eve, you arsehole".

If he wasn't, he should have been.

44 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

Why should smokers get any privilege over non-smokers?

We have shorter lifespans thus every moment of smoking pleasure is precious. While you lot burden the state into your nineties with decades of skiving, we will bid adieu not long after our three score years and ten, making it possible for our children and grandchildren to support you lot into your dribbling dotage. No need to thank us.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

We have shorter lifespans thus every moment of smoking pleasure is precious. While you lot burden the state into your nineties with decades of skiving, we will bid adieu not long after our three score years and ten, making it possible for our children and grandchildren to support you lot into your dribbling dotage. No need to thank us.

Is that the new message they post on fag packages?

Smoke these.

Die young.

Cost less.

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I think he was subtly saying "It's Hogmanay, not New Year's Eve, you arsehole".

If he wasn't, he should have been.

^^^Kens the score

(Shows how incredibly subtle I am. Please tell my wife...)

15 hours ago, Disabled Colin said:

Little known fact:  The City of Glasgow has more bins that any other place in Scotland.  

The council recently(ish) changed all the bins in and around the city centre. There are fewer bins in total but they have a larger capacity. The place still has litter on every corner.

13 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Where do you stand on smoking breaks at work? In our place some people can easily spend an hour a day  in the smoking shelter letting others cover for them. 

I know people who have taken up smoking so they could get an extra few breaks. On busy shifts I'd let the non-smokers out for a bit too sometimes, mainly so I didn't feel guilty for fucking off for 20 minutes to hang out with the far cooler smokers.

19 minutes ago, Smurph said:

The council recently(ish) changed all the bins in and around the city centre. There are fewer bins in total but they have a larger capacity. The place still has litter on every corner.

I don't think it's down to bin frequency or capacity that determines litter, beyond a certain point.  I'm sure that all councils could do more but if people keep dropping litter there isn't much they can do about it.

I saw this tweet and it did make me think about the problem of litter/fouling etc and politics, the national psyche whatever you want to call it.  In Scotland at the moment the biggest political trend, movement whatever you want to call it is nationalism.  More people identify as Scottish, national feeling and pride is higher than we've seen at any time in the past, going by opinion polling.  And yet by the law of averages, some of these people, who burst with pride at their country and at the same leaves bags of shit in public places.  Odd behaviour.

I was told that Berlin used to have a really bad litter problem which they solved by fining the litterbugs and giving 50% of the fine to the person who reported it.  I can think of a few problems with that but it supposedly worked in Berlin. Every tramp and curtain-twitcher got rewarded and the streets got noticeably cleaner. 

I don't think it's down to bin frequency or capacity that determines litter, beyond a certain point.  I'm sure that all councils could do more but if people keep dropping litter there isn't much they can do about it.
I saw this tweet and it did make me think about the problem of litter/fouling etc and politics, the national psyche whatever you want to call it.  In Scotland at the moment the biggest political trend, movement whatever you want to call it is nationalism.  More people identify as Scottish, national feeling and pride is higher than we've seen at any time in the past, going by opinion polling.  And yet by the law of averages, some of these people, who burst with pride at their country and at the same leaves bags of shit in public places.  Odd behaviour.
https://twitter.com/TroonBeaches/status/1268447781351567361?s=20

IMG_0629.jpg

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

If the poo bins haven't been emptied just take it home, simples.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

I was told that Berlin used to have a really bad litter problem which they solved by fining the litterbugs and giving 50% of the fine to the person who reported it.  I can think of a few problems with that but it supposedly worked in Berlin. Every tramp and curtain-twitcher got rewarded and the streets got noticeably cleaner. 

Folk Philpying each other to get litter fines. I like it

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Looks like they gave up on it.

https://www.dw.com/en/berlin-24-7-why-berlin-is-so-dirty/a-42937818

14 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Ah well back to the cone

Littering is annoying but every day there’s more fly tipping. Fly tipping is definitely worse behaviour as it’s planned. They’re not even looking for quiet back roads anymore, just dumping it wherever they feel like. Definitely the cone for them or some other form of corporal punishment.

I've been walking around Aberdeen a lot during the lockdown. The state of the streets for litter is just depressing. Also prior to golf starting up again I was regularly walking over the Kings Links - we're so lucky to have affordable golf in this country, but the bushes are absolutely rammed with litter. Humans are arseholes.

14 minutes ago, resk said:

I've been walking around Aberdeen a lot during the lockdown. The state of the streets for litter is just depressing. Also prior to golf starting up again I was regularly walking over the Kings Links - we're so lucky to have affordable golf in this country, but the bushes are absolutely rammed with litter. Humans are arseholes.

I know not so much recently but Kings Links does suffer from having a load of football fans marching across it every other weekend, which is a shame.

• 1 month later...