Litter

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Incidentally, no smoker has yet answered my question, which is why do you think it's acceptable to chuck away your cigarettes once finished and not dispose of them in one of the provided places (most bins have a bit on top for this now)?

It's not littering if it's fag butts or some shite like that

I like the suggestion that school kids, perhaps from Primary 6 to 7, should be taught to bin litter. It should be mandatory across Scotland, once a week they are taken out to litter pick either the school yard or nearby green spaces. If you can’t take them out because it’s pissing down, you teach them about the consequences of littering i.e plastic in the ocean, animals trapped in tin cans, cigarette butts and disposable bbq’s causing wildfires, the reduced aesthetics of a green space as a result. Drum it into their little heads.

Failing that, use the cone.

On another note related to litter, why is our recycling system so utterly utterly shit and complicated in this country? I just discovered recently that “Not Yet Recycled” on the label actually means “there’s a chance it could be recycled but you will have to check locally.” Wtf is that about? The amount of plastic wrapping I go through and the back of the packet says “not yet recycled” is absolutely absurd. Why is it not just recycled everywhere? Does anyone expect a “soft” recycler to be like “ahh okay, let me just check the council website for this baby tomato packet.” Of course they won’t, it’s getting launched into general waste. Shambles.

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I don't disguise it but I don't spit if people are within a certain distance of me. I wouldn't spit in the city centre for instance, but if I'm walking to from work it's non stop. Most of the time I don't realise I am doing it.

You get good at it if you practice, quick glance around and "ting" straight in the gutter drain. Nobody the wiser.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

They just end up in the sea and there's a bunch of studies showing they're toxic and or endocrine disruptors

You aren't a homeopath perchance?

So glad the smoking ban came in. Hated the horrible smoke stink that just clung to your clothes and hair.
Has anyone ever ordered something second hand online and, once it's arrived, it's obvious it came from a smoker as it just stinks of rank cigarette smoke? Nasty.

Incidentally, no smoker has yet answered my question, which is why do you think it's acceptable to chuck away your cigarettes once finished and not dispose of them in one of the provided places (most bins have a bit on top for this now)?

I remember a fellow no smoker commenting once about smokers ‘they obviously don’t care about their own bodies so why should we expect them to care about anything else!’

Often archeologists find a lot of the rubbish from the society they are studying. I wonder what concussions people will draw from our fossilised waste in 2000 years time.

Probably that we were all fat, lazy, stupid drunks who deserved to die in the great asteroid strike of New Years Eve 2020.

1 minute ago, Disabled Colin said:

There's defo a correlation between the two.   I've never done a count but I'd bet anything there's more bins in Edinburgh than Aberfoyle.  

You'd think there would be more litter  in the cities than in the countryside.  I live in the highlands and it's worse up here.  They just throw things out there cars rather than wait.  Might not be like that everywhere but in north argyll it is terrible. 

41 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Aye very good. They end up in the sand and in riverbeds etc.

Hang on, thought we were talking about spitting in a drain? If you mean fag butts, rollies are super organic, a drop of rain and they dissolve.

8 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Lazy, lazy stereotype-attacking.

Smokers are smelly.*

I have to walk past their smoke to access my drug of choice in the pub**

They chuck their fag-ends all over the pavement.***

They pay a shitload of tax into the treasury every year, more than covering the cost to the NHS of treating smoking-related disorders - then die earlier, removing a burden not only on the NHS but also the care system and State Pension funds.****

* Undeniable, but very variable smoker to smoker. Far from the worst smell you'll encounter in the daily round - much worse found on PT or the average office environment, fo example.

** Alcohol is a far, far bigger danger than smoking - and not just to the user.

*** Save your outrage for those who dump furniture and appliances in our countryside. If it's pavements you're concerned about, let's start by borrowin BFTD's cone and go after the cúnts with chewing gum.

**** Actually agree with this.

Full disclosure - I smoked for thirty plus years before stopping six years ago. The demonisation of smokers is still something which pisses me off big style (even though I really can't stand the smell of people having smoked in an area, they're taxpayers and otherwise decent people). Perhaps reserve one's ire for those who discriminate on grounds of race, faith, gender or orientation? Far bigger impact on the victims' lives than catching a whiff of GV as you got for a pint of Tennents, imho.

Where do you stand on smoking breaks at work? In our place some people can easily spend an hour a day  in the smoking shelter letting others cover for them. 

8 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Lazy, lazy stereotype-attacking.

Smokers are smelly.*

I have to walk past their smoke to access my drug of choice in the pub**

They chuck their fag-ends all over the pavement.***

They pay a shitload of tax into the treasury every year, more than covering the cost to the NHS of treating smoking-related disorders - then die earlier, removing a burden not only on the NHS but also the care system and State Pension funds.****

* Undeniable, but very variable smoker to smoker. Far from the worst smell you'll encounter in the daily round - much worse found on PT or the average office environment, fo example.

** Alcohol is a far, far bigger danger than smoking - and not just to the user.

*** Save your outrage for those who dump furniture and appliances in our countryside. If it's pavements you're concerned about, let's start by borrowin BFTD's cone and go after the cúnts with chewing gum.

**** Actually agree with this.

Full disclosure - I smoked for thirty plus years before stopping six years ago. The demonisation of smokers is still something which pisses me off big style (even though I really can't stand the smell of people having smoked in an area, they're taxpayers and otherwise decent people). Perhaps reserve one's ire for those who discriminate on grounds of race, faith, gender or orientation? Far bigger impact on the victims' lives than catching a whiff of GV as you got for a pint of Tennents, imho.

Where do you stand on smoking breaks at work? In our place some people can easily spend an hour a day  in the smoking shelter letting others cover for them. 

14 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

9 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

2 hours a day is taking the piss

Same place as I did when I was a smoker - no more or less time than non smokers. Any piss taking should be addressed either by management or the time honored boot-pie interface.

25 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Where do you stand on smoking breaks at work? In our place some people can easily spend an hour a day  in the smoking shelter letting others cover for them. 

200.gif.466afb36e8e5f54adf148a8bb57969e0.gif

I can easily spend an hour in the bogs a day reading the paper.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Perhaps they've not answered because the smokers on here actually do use the bins provided for fag doubts? You clearly hate smokers, fair enough, but to stereotype them all is just ignorant.

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Perhaps they've not answered because the smokers on here actually do use the bins provided for fag doubts? You clearly hate smokers, fair enough, but to stereotype them all is just ignorant.

Doubtful that they are all in the minority.

It's not a stereotype to say that a majority of smokers chuck their used cigarettes away when outside.

I don't hate smokers, but I do hate smoking.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Often archeologists find a lot of the rubbish from the society they are studying. I wonder what concussions people will draw from our fossilised waste in 2000 years time.

Probably that we were all fat, lazy, stupid drunks who deserved to die in the great asteroid strike of New Years Eve 2020.

Mods, please.