Litter

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I mind a wifey at my old work many, many years ago claiming that she smoked but no-one could tell because she wore perfume / chewed gum to cover it up.

It was then pointed out by every member of our team (about 15 other folk) that 1) it was blatantly obvious she smoked because she absolutely reeked of it, as did her car / workstation; 2) the smoking had probably dulled her sense of smell to an extent that she genuinely couldn't smell it; and 3) she was conditioned to 'liking' the smell so didn't think it was such a big deal.

Felt a bit sorry for her as she seemed genuinely crushed at this realisation. But she was a bit of a boot so not too much.

And then she fell into my arms and I married her. 

33 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

By day helping you slip your foot into a shoe and by night...

well - I was going to post a picture of cinderella and prince charming doing their whole shoe-fitting thing, but a google image search threw up the following - not quite sure what's going on here...

laughing.png

original.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Always used to enjoy the smoking carriage of the Friday afternoon train back up the road from London. Lots of drunken Aberdeen hooligans/offshore workers who would happily chainsmoke and binge drink the journey away. There would usually be decent bottles of spirits passed around too, not just cans. 

I used to sit in non-smoking when it was busy, and nip to the smoking carriage when I wanted one. Too toxic even for me. The ones in the London tube would turn you into an Arbroath smokie at rush hour.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I used to sit in non-smoking when it was busy, and nip to the smoking carriage when I wanted one. Too toxic even for me. The ones in the London tube would turn you into an Arbroath smokie at rush hour.

A Fifer restaurant owner always has a go at me when he seems me for burning one of his good tablecloths. Smoking sections in restaurants are not something that need brought back. 

I don't know how widespread it was, but I absolutely hated the Dundee City Council phase of, 'Let's stop this wall being covered in graffiti by putting mock graffiti on it.'

See below for a few examples:

image.jpeg.b57c0eb9339c6dfe5559fff317d0cca1.jpeg

image.jpeg.91adf06c863fa48e3731b7cb1d0d0e3e.jpeg

image.jpeg.b326cf42c060766ce7c3b267a755a36a.jpeg

A community project in Dundee which saw young people transform a ...

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

A fag discarded in a pint glass must be one of the most disgusting things know to man.  

I used to work in a bar with a large beer terrace and people would  put out fag ends into pint glasses, plates with food still on them, on the table, in the ashtrays (sometimes) and my favourite of all - flowerbeds. People fucking love putting their fags out in to flowers and plants. I've seen people ripping apart flowers whilst I'm out collecting glasses and they just leave all the debris and petals on the table too. You've just came here and vandalised the place.

Families with kids can be awful too. I realise my job as a waiter is to clean up food and drink after you but it's not my responsibility to clean up the 20 crayons your child has snapped and thrown on the floor, wipe up an artist's palette of macaroni, cheese and ketchup off the table and discard all the various juice bags, sachets and baby wipes that are hidden around a 5 meter radius of where you were sitting. It's just littering but inside. Just have a bit more respect.

Edited by Smurph

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

So you'd be as well wiping your arse on your host's curtains as stubbing your cigarette out on their plates.

Well, you say that, but you've no idea the hassle I've had to put up with from Mrs SL's family. And it was only the once.

I can remember Beardy Branson being put in charge of an anti-litter campaign. Possibly by Thatcher. 

The lazy b*****d made f*ck all difference. This is why I have doubts about his space rocket project. 

I found this old poster on Google. I think they should bring it back: 

steptoe.jpg.a6e8585a9e44a5087797a1b7013c6a48.jpg

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Lazy, lazy stereotype-attacking.

Smokers are smelly.*

I have to walk past their smoke to access my drug of choice in the pub**

They chuck their fag-ends all over the pavement.***

They pay a shitload of tax into the treasury every year, more than covering the cost to the NHS of treating smoking-related disorders - then die earlier, removing a burden not only on the NHS but also the care system and State Pension funds.****

* Undeniable, but very variable smoker to smoker. Far from the worst smell you'll encounter in the daily round - much worse found on PT or the average office environment, fo example.

** Alcohol is a far, far bigger danger than smoking - and not just to the user.

*** Save your outrage for those who dump furniture and appliances in our countryside. If it's pavements you're concerned about, let's start by borrowin BFTD's cone and go after the cúnts with chewing gum.

**** Actually agree with this.

Full disclosure - I smoked for thirty plus years before stopping six years ago. The demonisation of smokers is still something which pisses me off big style (even though I really can't stand the smell of people having smoked in an area, they're taxpayers and otherwise decent people). Perhaps reserve one's ire for those who discriminate on grounds of race, faith, gender or orientation? Far bigger impact on the victims' lives than catching a whiff of GV as you got for a pint of Tennents, imho.

There's no limit to the groups of people you can find detestable, you can hate racists, bigots, homophobes, alkies and still have disdain for people who choose to poison themselves with toxic smoke while inflecting second hand smoke, the smell of fags and littering on everyone after they are done. 

Edited by Torpar

Smokers generally stink, so I’m not sure why so many are in denial and they get on the defensive when it’s brought up.

When I was in Galway a good few years back, there were enclosed bus shelter type structures in the town centre that smokers had to enter to have a fag. I thought it was an excellent idea to keep the smelly fuckers penned in the one place, without having their rancid smell assault the senses of everyone else.

would be a big step forward if those polystyrene pots that takeaway food is packed in could be banned in favour of card-only packaging; I presume that this is already the case with the larger chains, but local kebab shops, chippies, fried chicken shops and the like still use polystyrene trays that litter the place every weekend; card stuff may be  equally unsightly, but at least it's biodegradable without any intervention - or even collection - required

not sure why we haven't gone down the US route of card boxes for chinese/indian stuff etc, either, rather than the lidded plastic trays you get (even though they're the most useful things ever for freezing food in ! )

6 hours ago, throbber said:

When you talk about spitting, are you doing it blatantly on the street where other people can see you or are you making an effort to disguise it? 

I don't disguise it but I don't spit if people are within a certain distance of me. I wouldn't spit in the city centre for instance, but if I'm walking to from work it's non stop. Most of the time I don't realise I am doing it.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I don't disguise it but I don't spit if people are within a certain distance of me. I wouldn't spit in the city centre for instance, but if I'm walking to from work it's non stop. Most of the time I don't realise I am doing it.

The spit itself is never the problem but seeing someone do it is pretty unsightly and often intimidating. 

2 hours ago, Smurph said:

Families with kids can be awful too. I realise my job as a waiter is to clean up food and drink after you but it's not my responsibility to clean up the 20 crayons your child has snapped and thrown on the floor, wipe up an artist's palette of macaroni, cheese and ketchup off the table and discard all the various juice bags, sachets and baby wipes that are hidden around a 5 meter radius of where you were sitting. It's just littering but inside. Just have a bit more respect.

I remember sitting next to a family table in PIza Express and they left everything bar soiled nappies on the table - loads and loads of wipes, mess everywhere, the baby chair covered.  I have a two year old, they can be messy but unless they are exceptional circumstances, you can clean it up at least a bit.  

My nightmare in several different jobs has been going into a smoker's house.

On a house clearance, it doesn't matter how clean the external surfaces are, anything that hasn't been looked at in a while is covered in weird tobacco fluff, takes a ton of work to clean, and you never get the smell out of your clothes properly. If you're repairing a smoker's computer, everything on the inside is covered in a thick layer of nicotine grease. I've found dead mice, rats, and live spider nests in computers, but I'll take any of that over that horrible slime. They don't see any of it, either - they'll tell you something that's discoloured brown, greasy, and reeking of foulness is clean. Smoke residue is like bacteria to the rest of us.

So glad the smoking ban came in. Hated the horrible smoke stink that just clung to your clothes and hair.

Has anyone ever ordered something second hand online and, once it's arrived, it's obvious it came from a smoker as it just stinks of rank cigarette smoke? Nasty.

Incidentally, no smoker has yet answered my question, which is why do you think it's acceptable to chuck away your cigarettes once finished and not dispose of them in one of the provided places (most bins have a bit on top for this now)?

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So glad the smoking ban came in. Hated the horrible smoke stink that just clung to your clothes and hair.

Has anyone ever ordered something second hand online and, once it's arrived, it's obvious it came from a smoker as it just stinks of rank cigarette smoke? Nasty.

Incidentally, no smoker has yet answered my question, which is why do you think it's acceptable to chuck away your cigarettes once finished and not dispose of them in one of the provided places (most bins have a bit on top for this now)?

A lot of stuff for sale on ebay and Gumtree state that they come from non-smoking homes.