Litter

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There are those metal things outside for your disgusting cigarettes.

Smokers should be fully persecuted incidentally. Persecuted, shamed and shunned.

Would you treat every person hooked on an addictive substance this way? I tend to think other forms of treatment would be much more beneficial in the long term, whether the substance be nicotine, heroin etc.

Just now, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Would you treat every person hooked on an addictive substance this way? I tend to think other forms of treatment would be much more beneficial in the long term, whether the substance be nicotine, heroin etc.

Aye it's a shame for them right enough.......(where's that cone?)

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Sympathise with you there pal. I used to live in Qatar and it was exactly the same there. Everywhere has cleaners cutting about with a dustpan and brush which gives the locals and immigrants absolutely no incentive to sort their own mess out. You would think it would be a basic human instinct but sadly the opposite seems to apply.

It's a little ironic that many of the kids'mothers here are the ones being paid to clean up behind kids like them in places like Hong Kong,Singapore, the Middle East as you mention.  

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Our son's school had a football tournament a year back.  They provided McDonald's for the kids - the next day there were dozens of discarded boxes and cups.  It's swimming against the tide here when you cannot even get the school to get the kids to clean up.  Here, the mentality is very much I'm not picking up rubbish, that's for the street sweepers to do.   No matter how many times we tell him/shout at him/kick f**k out of him  chastise him our son just doesn't get it.

Start taking your shites on his bedroom floor.

...assuming he's not the type of kid who'd be delighted that the reign of toilet tyranny had come to an end.

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A fag discarded in a pint glass must be one of the most disgusting things know to man.  

It's appallingly disrespectful for the poor b*****d coming along to clean up behind them, but the cigarette stubbed out on a plate just horrifies me. It's one step off using somebody's fork to scratch your hemorrhoids.

Edit: just realised why it bothers me so much. Charity shops end up with loads of house clearance donations from when elderly people die, and a surprising number of plates have wee circular yellow marks on the glaze. So you'd be as well wiping your arse on your host's curtains as stubbing your cigarette out on their plates.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

It's a little ironic that many of the kids'mothers here are the ones being paid to clean up behind kids like them in places like Hong Kong,Singapore, the Middle East as you mention.  

True, mind you where I was the Philpinnos are mostly in retail or service industries but I take your point.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Start taking your shites on his bedroom floor.

...assuming he's not the type of kid who'd be delighted that the reign of toilet tyranny had come to an end.

It's appallingly disrespectful for the poor b*****d coming along to clean up behind them, but the cigarette stubbed out on a plate just horrifies me. It's one step off using somebody's fork to scratch your hemorrhoids.

I'd love to shite on his bedroom floor but he's back sleeping in our room again and I never shit where I sleep.  Almost never anyway.

A fag stubbed out on a plate - manky as f**k.

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

True, mind you where I was the Philpinnos are mostly in retail or service industries but I take your point.

Yep, I was in Hong Kong and a good few of them were in the service industry there too...nudge,nudge, wink, wink!  

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There are those metal things outside for your disgusting cigarettes.

Smokers should be fully persecuted incidentally. Persecuted, shamed and shunned.

Lazy, lazy stereotype-attacking.

Smokers are smelly.*

I have to walk past their smoke to access my drug of choice in the pub**

They chuck their fag-ends all over the pavement.***

They pay a shitload of tax into the treasury every year, more than covering the cost to the NHS of treating smoking-related disorders - then die earlier, removing a burden not only on the NHS but also the care system and State Pension funds.****

* Undeniable, but very variable smoker to smoker. Far from the worst smell you'll encounter in the daily round - much worse found on PT or the average office environment, fo example.

** Alcohol is a far, far bigger danger than smoking - and not just to the user.

*** Save your outrage for those who dump furniture and appliances in our countryside. If it's pavements you're concerned about, let's start by borrowin BFTD's cone and go after the cúnts with chewing gum.

**** Actually agree with this.

Full disclosure - I smoked for thirty plus years before stopping six years ago. The demonisation of smokers is still something which pisses me off big style (even though I really can't stand the smell of people having smoked in an area, they're taxpayers and otherwise decent people). Perhaps reserve one's ire for those who discriminate on grounds of race, faith, gender or orientation? Far bigger impact on the victims' lives than catching a whiff of GV as you got for a pint of Tennents, imho.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There's a pop-sociological theory called the Shopping Trolley Theory that says you can determine if someone is a good person or not by whether they put their shopping trolley back in the bay after unloading it into their car or if they just leave it behind.  It's maybe a bit trite but it speaks to the same type of thought process as littering.  

I always knew I was a good c**t. 

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Lazy, lazy stereotype-attacking.

Smokers are smelly.*

I have to walk past their smoke to access my drug of choice in the pub**

They chuck their fag-ends all over the pavement.***

They pay a shitload of tax into the treasury every year, more than covering the cost to the NHS of treating smoking-related disorders - then die earlier, removing a burden not only on the NHS but also the care system and State Pension funds.****

* Undeniable, but very variable smoker to smoker. Far from the worst smell you'll encounter in the daily round - much worse found on PT or the average office environment, fo example.

** Alcohol is a far, far bigger danger than smoking - and not just to the user.

*** Save your outrage for those who dump furniture and appliances in our countryside. If it's pavements you're concerned about, let's start by borrowin BFTD's cone and go after the cúnts with chewing gum.

**** Actually agree with this.

Full disclosure - I smoked for thirty plus years before stopping six years ago. The demonisation of smokers is still something which pisses me off big style (even though I really can't stand the smell of people having smoked in an area, they're taxpayers and otherwise decent people). Perhaps reserve one's ire for those who discriminate on grounds of race, faith, gender or orientation? Far bigger impact on the victims' lives than catching a whiff of GV as you got for a pint of Tennents, imho.

Point out to me where I said any of those things in bold. Although most smokers I've seen absolutely do chuck their used cigarettes on the ground.

Spare me the taxpayer stuff. Smokers aren't selfless tax heroes. A ludicrous pile of shit. They are in no way to be applauded for smoking just because they pay tax. You lament lazy stereotypes (which I never used) yet fire back with that tired tax nonsense.

Also, learn to read/understand subtext. I wasn't genuinely saying smokers should be shunned and persecuted. Smoking however absolutely should be looked down and demonised as the stinking, jakey shite it is, especially the littering.

Also, one can have ire for more than one thing at a time, unless you're actually suggesting that people can only care about a single thing at a time.

Edited by DA Baracus

People who discard their chewing gum into urinals are worse than Hitler. I'm sure cleaning toilets is already a grim job without having to retrieve someone else's gum. Dirty b*****ds. 

I mind a wifey at my old work many, many years ago claiming that she smoked but no-one could tell because she wore perfume / chewed gum to cover it up.

It was then pointed out by every member of our team (about 15 other folk) that 1) it was blatantly obvious she smoked because she absolutely reeked of it, as did her car / workstation; 2) the smoking had probably dulled her sense of smell to an extent that she genuinely couldn't smell it; and 3) she was conditioned to 'liking' the smell so didn't think it was such a big deal.

Felt a bit sorry for her as she seemed genuinely crushed at this realisation. But she was a bit of a boot so not too much.

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

People who discard their chewing gum into urinals are worse than Hitler. I'm sure cleaning toilets is already a grim job without having to retrieve someone else's gum. Dirty b*****ds. 

Ooft, we could have an entire other thread on the stuff I've had to clean from toilets. But it's lunchtime, so maybe now is not the time.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The youth of today though .. maybe schools should bring in litter patrol for the lazy wee fuckers. The young ones that do beach tidy ups and the like are good guys though 

My daughter's Primary and Sons' High School both do regular litter picks in areas surrounding the school campuses. 

29 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Christ, imagine not being able to have a can on the train.

f**k that. 

Always used to enjoy the smoking carriage of the Friday afternoon train back up the road from London. Lots of drunken Aberdeen hooligans/offshore workers who would happily chainsmoke and binge drink the journey away. There would usually be decent bottles of spirits passed around too, not just cans.