Litter

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Hate littering. No excuse. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think a lot of school kids genuinely see littering as hard and cool. Certainly saw that attitude at school myself. Whilst most kids grow out of that mindset (but sadly not out of the mindset of littering) there are still a shockingly high number of adults who seem to think they're some sort of cool, tough rebel by littering. Smokers are among the worst for that.

Smokers, and there are plenty on here, please explain why you think it's acceptable to chuck away a used cigarette instead of putting in the provided disposal units?

It's especially bad when folk nip out to the front of a pub and then ping their smoked cigarettes in to the gutter. See it often at bus stops too, and in the street in general.

In the good old days they used to provide ashtrays for us inside. Now that we're stuck outside you lot still find something to whine about. 

My son, 7, is guilty of just throwing stuff on the ground.  Of course, we chastise him but when all around there is litter it's hard to get a 7 year-old to understand.  So, the more people litter,  the more people  litter.  

I used to run a Beaver Scout Group. 6-8 year olds. I used to get them litter picking around the Scout hall at least once a year. The local council would provide all the equipment.
I am surprised that schools don’t do more to get pupils to clear up the mess they make at lunchtimes or areas where littering is prevalent.
If we educate them young enough it should help to reduce the problem in the future.
Too many people think someone else will clear their mess up. If they had to do it themselves they may think twice.
And if that doesn’t work we use the cone!

Another thing that I've never understood is why people think that other people should be responsible for picking up all their household rubbish.

You get your general waste lifted every few weeks, but I see loads of folk put in new kitchens / bathrooms and then rage at having to pay for the old stuff to get taken away.

f**k it, I'm absolutely seething today anyway.

A charity shop I worked at back in my teens would regularly get "donations" of black bags that had clearly just come straight from the kitchen bin. Sometimes entire vanloads that some minks had presumably been keeping in their shed. It was bad enough that we had to start checking bags as they came in so we could tell people to GTF when they were obviously unloading the contents of their nappy bin.

People are fucking disgusting and I can't wait for the end of days.

3 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I used to run a Beaver Scout Group. 6-8 year olds. I used to get them litter picking around the Scout hall at least once a year. The local council would provide all the equipment.
I am surprised that schools don’t do more to get pupils to clear up the mess they make at lunchtimes or areas where littering is prevalent.
If we educate them young enough it should help to reduce the problem in the future.
Too many people think someone else will clear their mess up. If they had to do it themselves they may think twice.

Japan likes this

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20191006-what-japan-can-teach-us-about-cleanliness

2 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Too many people think someone else will clear their mess up. 

you're saying the Wombles are counter-productive ?

always had a sneaky suspicion that those furry fucks were doing more harm than good

it would have been better if they'd been portrayed as a gang of littering louts, who were brought in to line with the use of the cone to make it clear that there was an effective deterrent which could be used in extreme cases...

In slight defence of the litter louts, it's good that it appears more people have been taking an interest in spending time outdoors. We're blessed with fantastic parks, beaches, countryside etc. Education and perhaps capital punishment has to be central to improving things. 

8 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

My son's primary school did that. It wasn't used as a punishment; the kids were just taught that it was a good idea to spend a bit of time doing a quick en-masse clean-up now and then, and it's not fair to expect other folk to do it for them. They all seemed to take it really well, and didn't consider it a chore; different classes just had days during the month when they'd be out with the grabbers and binbags. Pretty sure it was a council initiative.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's one of the many things austerity has done away with.

Edit: really pleased to see the support for physical mutilation and even death on this thread. My faith in humanity has been restored.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In the good old days they used to provide ashtrays for us inside. Now that we're stuck outside you lot still find something to whine about. 

There are those metal things outside for your disgusting cigarettes.

Smokers should be fully persecuted incidentally. Persecuted, shamed and shunned.

5 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Our son's school had a football tournament a year back.  They provided McDonald's for the kids - the next day there were dozens of discarded boxes and cups.  It's swimming against the tide here when you cannot even get the school to get the kids to clean up.  Here, the mentality is very much I'm not picking up rubbish, that's for the street sweepers to do.   No matter how many times we tell him/shout at him/kick f**k out of him  chastise him our son just doesn't get it.

It does my tits in when I go hiking and people have just discarded their litter. At the top of Ben Vane last year, people had left about 10 bits of rubbish, all placed under a rocks to stop it blowing away. Just put it in your bag and take it home.

Also, anywhere near fast food takeaway outlets, there’s usually bags of rubbish that the cretins have just launched out their car windows.

Just execute the lot of them.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In the good old days I worked in pub and smokers seemed to put most their fags out on the ground and/or in glasses.

I have experience in the field of launching bicycles into the Tay. As young lads, one of our pals had an annoying older brother. One day we decided to launch his bike into the Tay, off the railway bridge at the Fife end to maximise it as a spectacle.

Unimpressed by the minimal damage caused after recovering the bike at low tide, we launched it a few more times onto the rocks below until it was a twisted wreck. No littering involved though, as we put it back in his shed afterwards. It was an old Raleigh Chopper, which looking back was oddly cool as f**k.

chopper.jpg.11df882886480dc38281c22a462baefb.jpg

1 minute ago, Zetterlund said:

I have experience in the field of launching bicycles into the Tay. As young lads, one of our pals had an annoying older brother. One day we decided to launch his bike into the Tay, off the railway bridge at the Fife end to maximise it as a spectacle.

Unimpressed by the minimal damage caused after recovering the bike at low tide, we launched it a few more times onto the rocks below until it was a twisted wreck. No littering involved though, as we put it back in his shed afterwards. It was an old Raleigh Chopper, which looking back was oddly cool as f**k.

chopper.jpg.11df882886480dc38281c22a462baefb.jpg

Shite colour

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Loving this Command and Conquer-esque alternative history that prior to the smoking ban smokers were all tidy souls who invariably used ashtrays.

I must be imagining all those discarded fag-ends being chucked on the floor / down the toilet / in glasses / on plates.

8 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

In the good old days I worked in pub and smokers seemed to put most their fags out on the ground and/or in glasses.

A fag discarded in a pint glass must be one of the most disgusting things know to man.  

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Our son's school had a football tournament a year back.  They provided McDonald's for the kids - the next day there were dozens of discarded boxes and cups.  It's swimming against the tide here when you cannot even get the school to get the kids to clean up.  Here, the mentality is very much I'm not picking up rubbish, that's for the street sweepers to do.   No matter how many times we tell him/shout at him/kick f**k out of him  chastise him our son just doesn't get it.

Sympathise with you there pal. I used to live in Qatar and it was exactly the same there. Everywhere has cleaners cutting about with a dustpan and brush which gives the locals and immigrants absolutely no incentive to sort their own mess out. You would think it would be a basic human instinct but sadly the opposite seems to apply.

Flashbacks to emptying the glass washer and to be stuck with the smell of manky wet tobacco because a doubt had clung to the inside of a tumbler and you hadn't noticed it before putting it in the washer. Then having to drain the whole load of water, put it on a spin without the glasses, then put the glasses back in.

I'm triggered right now. Away for a lie down.