Litter

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, there's someting about the self absorption and self centredness of our culture.  Think about the reasoning involved in dropping litter - I have finished with this wrapper/can/bottle, I will drop it here.  No consideration about other people and no willingness to make the tiny sacrifice necesary to either put it in a bin or carry it home.  People are so consumed with themselves that they don't seem to notice or care about the effect they have on their environment.  People look at what impacts them right then and there and evaluate their actions on that.

This is basically it. There’s a mindset where people don’t care about other people.

People who litter should be anally impaled on a traffic cone covered in broken glass. Although maybe the kids should just get a talking-to. When you hit 18, traffic cone.

Worse than Dominic Cummings IMO. He just thinks he's too important to abide by the rules of the plebs; those c***s think their own peers should be cleaning up after them. When I snap and go on a Taxi Driver style rampage, it'll be at a public park full of these evil b*****ds.

Also, folk who don't pick up after their dugs should be forced to eat it. Full of good ideas for deterrents, me.

11 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Perhaps it is time for the council/police to do more in relation on this and instead of a fine the sentence is x amounts of picking up litter. This would certainly make them think if they had 8 hours litter picking on a Saturday or Sunday.

This is a nice thought, I think everyone appreciates the basic justice of the sentence fitting hte crime.  But in practice I doubt it would make any difference.  What matters is enforcement - how many people get fined for dropping litter?  If 20% of people who dropped litter were fined £50 then it would be a detterent but they don't.  In fact, even when litterers are caught they tend to get away with it - https://theferret.scot/councils-thousands-litter-free/

Once I was driving from London up to Edinburgh, got stopped at a railway crossing and the guy in the car in front got out of his car and just emptied his litter at the side of the road.

Cigarettes, cans of juice, whatever fast food shite he'd been eating, just dumped.

A significant minority of humans (at the very least) are just vile.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

These are the same folk blasting music out their phone on the bus, shouting across the street at someone they know instead of walking up to them to say hi quietly, parking across two disabled spaces, talking and texting in the cinema, drinking on the train etc.

Whit? Drinking on the train is great. It's the best part of away games

I cycle regularly to commute and for leisure.
I recently cycled up round Loch Leven and was shocked at the amount of rubbish by the side of the road on the South side. This is near an RSPB nature reserve as well. The majority of the rubbish seemed to be plastic bottles, takeaway wrappers food and drinks. As there were no houses nearby it can only be assumed that the rubbish is thrown out of cars by people to lazy to take the stuff home.
A good way to discourage littering would be a strong enforcement and instead of fining people give them community service litter picking for a day or two.

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This is a nice thought, I think everyone appreciates the basic justice of the sentence fitting hte crime.  But in practice I doubt it would make any difference.  What matters is enforcement - how many people get fined for dropping litter?  If 20% of people who dropped litter were fined £50 then it would be a detterent but they don't.  In fact, even when litterers are caught they tend to get away with it - https://theferret.scot/councils-thousands-litter-free/

The folk who do it would only get caught once in every few hundred times, would consider themselves victims of the fascist state, and would refuse to pay, requiring further action.

Let's just skip ahead to the sphincter-shredding cone.

18 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The folk who do it would only get caught once in every few hundred times, would consider themselves victims of the fascist state, and would refuse to pay, requiring further action.

Let's just skip ahead to the sphincter-shredding cone.

They’d possibly also refuse to do the litter picking punishment people have suggested. Community Service punishments take a huge amount of management to make successful as those same arsehole people who litter would conveniently sleep in or forgot to turn up or some other excuse, and there’s a likelihood it would become a costly and unsuccessful  bureaucratic nightmare. 

The cone it is.

Edited by Scary Bear

Hate littering. No excuse. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think a lot of school kids genuinely see littering as hard and cool. Certainly saw that attitude at school myself. Whilst most kids grow out of that mindset (but sadly not out of the mindset of littering) there are still a shockingly high number of adults who seem to think they're some sort of cool, tough rebel by littering. Smokers are among the worst for that.

Smokers, and there are plenty on here, please explain why you think it's acceptable to chuck away a used cigarette instead of putting in the provided disposal units?

It's especially bad when folk nip out to the front of a pub and then ping their smoked cigarettes in to the gutter. See it often at bus stops too, and in the street in general.

I've said this before on here, but there has been a massive increase in fly-tipping since every local Facebook group is 90% made up of posts from people looking for a 'cheap tip run' and the other 10% are from absolute bammers who've bought a sixth-hand transit with 200k miles on it and set up business offering 'cheap tip runs'. I'm not sure where the folk thought their rubbish was going when they paid some absolute weapon a whole five pounds to take away 30 black bags.

There have been quite a few instances of people's rubbish getting posted with identifying features and them going apoplectic with rage when they discover that the shifty-looking folk in fake tracksuits didn't, in fact, take their rubbish to the tip but instead chucked it at the side of a layby in the middle of the night.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Smokers are among the worst for that.

Smokers, and there are plenty on here, please explain why you think it's acceptable to chuck away a used cigarette instead of putting in the provided disposal units?

It's especially bad when folk nip out to the front of a pub and then ping their smoked cigarettes in to the gutter. See it often at bus stops too, and in the street in general.

Dont get me fucking started.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Hate littering. No excuse. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think a lot of school kids genuinely see littering as hard and cool. Certainly saw that attitude at school myself. Whilst most kids grow out of that mindset (but sadly not out of the mindset of littering) there are still a shockingly high number of adults who seem to think they're some sort of cool, tough rebel by littering. Smokers are among the worst for that.

My son, 7, is guilty of just throwing stuff on the ground.  Of course, we chastise him but when all around there is litter it's hard to get a 7 year-old to understand.  So, the more people litter,  the more people  litter.  

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My son, 7, is guilty of just throwing stuff on the ground.  Of course, we chastise him but when all around there is litter it's hard to get a 7 year-old to understand.  So, the more people litter,  the more people  litter.  

7 is pretty young to start smoking.

Do you have to buy the cigarettes for him?

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've said this before on here, but there has been a massive increase in fly-tipping since every local Facebook group is 90% made up of posts from people looking for a 'cheap tip run' and the other 10% are from absolute bammers who've bought a sixth-hand transit with 200k miles on it and set up business offering 'cheap tip runs'. I'm not sure where the folk thought their rubbish was going when they paid some absolute weapon a whole five pounds to take away 30 black bags.

There have been quite a few instances of people's rubbish getting posted with identifying features and them going apoplectic with rage when they discover that the shifty-looking folk in fake tracksuits didn't, in fact, take their rubbish to the tip but instead chucked it at the side of a layby in the middle of the night.

Tesco used to have a recycling machine years ago. Bring your bottles and plastics and stick them in this mammoth beast, which would sort them. I think they dropped the idea because every morning their car park would be strewn with non-recyclable trash from the pile that jakeballs had dumped at the machine.

We're frankly lucky that folk don't chuck their effluent out of the window to avoid having to clean the toilet.

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

They all do. All you can do is explain why it's bad and make him pick it up every time he does it.

I don't recommend application of the cone at that age.