Litter

46 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Litter pisses me off. 

I walked up Ben Nevis a couple of years ago and I was astonished at the amount of rubbish lying around at the top. Some of it had been hidden under stones. There was even an empty Buckfast bottle placed carefully on top of one of the cairns. No doubt some weegie with their tedious "wha's like us" patter. 

I live quite close to a secondary school and the kids make a right fucking mess at lunchtime. They must thinking dropping a crisp packet makes them cool and rebellious. 

In Falkirk after lunchtime the council has 2 litter pickers from the council clean up after them every school day.

Basically picking up after then like their mommies.

Kids are shite

Edited by Gaz FFC

The Government should employ someone to pick it up tbh. They could also fix the broken pavements and roads.
The Government doesn't get enough blame for being utterly shite and wasting vast amounts of money on pointless stuff.

Are you trying to excuse folk for being too lazy so we should instead employ someone to do their dirty work for them? Maybe if the dregs of society used bins/took their rubbish home/cleaned up after their dog we wouldn’t need to employ anybody.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

Are you trying to excuse folk for being too lazy so we should instead employ someone to do their dirty work for them? Maybe if the dregs of society used bins/took their rubbish home/cleaned up after their dog we wouldn’t need to employ anybody.

Falkirk council employ folk to clean up after them

Falkirk council employ folk to clean up after them

I don’t agree with the principle of this. It buys into the whole “aw some c**t from the council will get it” culture.

In Falkirk it’s easier to send people round to litter pick but that changes when the litter is in less accessible Scottish countryside, up munros and in woodlands. Also by the time these litter pickers have arrived on the scene some of the litter could have been wind blown elsewhere - so now it’s in the wider environment.

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's definitely got a lot worse over the last few years. I'd increase the fine for it to £3000, which would be practical, funny and hopefully a deterrent. 

I'd go for that. They should also be named and shamed and have their photo published somewhere. A gallery of minks.

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I don't litter, no. I do spit though and apparently that is just as bad. 

In Sweden they had/have folk on the busses to take your litter. Amazing. 

When you talk about spitting, are you doing it blatantly on the street where other people can see you or are you making an effort to disguise it? The spot itself isn’t doing any harm but seeing someone spitting is pretty unpleasant to put it lightly. 

Littering is truly despicable behaviour,  you have to have a real lack of respect for your surroundings to do that sort of thing.

The various beauty spots near me attract youngsters for nights of camping and bevvying. They leave behind tents, bottles, and piles of rubbish. Really foul behaviour. Nearby there are army barracks where, as far as I can tell, scores of heavily armed, fit young angry men do little but go jogging and tag-team local bored housewives.

Why not send the soldiers out to hide in bushes etc and machine gun any litter louts, leaving a few survivors who can take the rubbish to the many nearby recycling bins at gunpoint, then machine gun them too?

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The Government doesn't get enough blame for being utterly shite and wasting vast amounts of money on pointless stuff.

True. God only knows how much was wasted on your education. Hopefully you don't breed or that'll be more money down the drain. 

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

These are the same folk blasting music out their phone on the bus, shouting across the street at someone they know instead of walking up to them to say hi quietly, parking across two disabled spaces, talking and texting in the cinema, drinking on the train etc. That bit of their brain has been burned out by a childhood of monster energy and happy hardcore.

So basically they're just c***s.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

These are the same folk blasting music out their phone on the bus, shouting across the street at someone they know instead of walking up to them to say hi quietly, parking across two disabled spaces, talking and texting in the cinema, drinking on the train etc. That bit of their brain has been burned out by a childhood of monster energy and happy hardcore.

Bring back hanging I say

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

unironic support for this

ETA: this is the kind of thing my 'one free murder a year' idea would swiftly eradicate.

Which of those heinous crimes would you use for your 1st one?

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Oh in the first year I'd probably axe the most annoying person at my work and from then on focus on antisocial stuff like littering.

Ah, so your weapon of choice would be an axe.  An excellent choice too I must say.  Plenty blood for the office cleaner to clean up behind you.  Or you could do it in Falkirk and the council will sort it.

Since the lockdown I, like everyone else I assume, has been spending much more time in parks, I've had my son out in most of the parks in West Edinburgh and the state of some of them is an absolute disgrace.  The other day we were in Saughton Park, which has beautiful gardens, a great playpark and skate park and a refurbished bandstand.  Rubbish everywhere, some of it left lying within feet of a bin.  A few days before that we were in Hailes Quarry Park, which is actually quite lovely despite being in a fairly deprived area, but this was the day after the first really hot day and the football pitch was covered with discarded carry outs.  Someone had smashed a bottle on the path, meaning I had to carry my wee boy rather than let him run about.  Previously when I've been at both parks I've found broken glass in the childrens play area, once at Saughton Park I found a discarded knife lying in the woodchip.

It does make me wonder about litter and littering.  One contributory factor I think is eating outside, there seems to have been a big increase in people eating on the go since I was a kid.  There are far more takeaway shops and places selling food obviously to eat on the move.  Most of the litter you see strewn about is food or drink related.  I don't remember everyone lugging about bags of food and eating all the time when I was a kid.  Maybe I'm being esoteric here but maybe people are more likely to throw away the litter from disposable junk food than other things. 

Also, there's someting about the self absorption and self centredness of our culture.  Think about the reasoning involved in dropping litter - I have finished with this wrapper/can/bottle, I will drop it here.  No consideration about other people and no willingness to make the tiny sacrifice necesary to either put it in a bin or carry it home.  People are so consumed with themselves that they don't seem to notice or care about the effect they have on their environment.  People look at what impacts them right then and there and evaluate their actions on that.

There's a pop-sociological theory called the Shopping Trolley Theory that says you can determine if someone is a good person or not by whether they put their shopping trolley back in the bay after unloading it into their car or if they just leave it behind.  It's maybe a bit trite but it speaks to the same type of thought process as littering.  

Edited by ICTChris

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, there's someting about the self absorption and self centredness of our culture.  Think about the reasoning involved in dropping litter - I have finished with this wrapper/can/bottle, I will drop it here.  No consideration about other people and no willingness to make the tiny sacrifice necesary to either put it in a bin or carry it home.  People are so consumed with themselves that they don't seem to notice or care about the effect they have on their environment.  People look at what impacts them right then and there and evaluate their actions on that.

Perhaps it is time for the council/police to do more in relation on this and instead of a fine the sentence is x amounts of picking up litter. This would certainly make them think if they had 8 hours litter picking on a Saturday or Sunday.

It really annoys me. Almost, but not quite, to the point where I’m going to be seen wandering the streets with a black bag collecting other people’s littler. I do on occasion pick a couple of items of litter up (usually plastic bottles) and take them to the nearest bin. 

I feel that that or the bag idea are basically pissing in the wind. It won’t change unless people stop littering.

Then there’s fly-tipping which is also completely out of control at the moment.

In summary, some human beings are awful and will possibly never change.