Drumchapel United

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to be a good bunch.  My step-daughter played with them for a bit and I was impressed by the scale of the operation.  Seems to be some really genuine folk involved, who want to do their best for the kids and community around here.  Was always seeing kids in their tracksuits on the way to training before THE EVENT.

I hope they get the facilities at the Donald Dewar sorted out for the season starting (whenever that might be).  They've got a good opportunity to attract a large number of folk in the area who have been involved themselves or have kids who are or have been there.  I dare say there would be a decent amount of interest.  From what I can tell they've made some ambitious signings as well.  Watched Ciaran McElroy when he played for Queen's Park and he had the ability to win games, although he maybe didn't show it as often as he'd have liked in his time there.  Ryan Hynes seems always to have scored goals for them, even if he found it more of a struggle when he was at QP as well.  I'd hope to get along to a couple of games once everything's up and running.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

All that digging going on beside the Donald Dewar Centre isn’t anything to do with DUFC is it?

Maybe? Can't see a planning application but they have raised £3,459 so far: https://www.drumchapelunitedfc.co.uk/news/gofundme-page

"Drumchapel United are looking for donations to help upgrade the facility at our home ground the Donald Dewar Centre.
We are looking at putting a spectator rail, dugouts, a small stand, spectator shelter and raising the fence line around the Astro pitch which would enable our team to play in the West of Scotland league."

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Maybe? Can't see a planning application but they have raised £3,459 so far: https://www.drumchapelunitedfc.co.uk/news/gofundme-page

"Drumchapel United are looking for donations to help upgrade the facility at our home ground the Donald Dewar Centre.
We are looking at putting a spectator rail, dugouts, a small stand, spectator shelter and raising the fence line around the Astro pitch which would enable our team to play in the West of Scotland league."

Good luck with it. Seems like an awfy small amount to be doing all that work with though

8 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Good luck with it. Seems like an awfy small amount to be doing all that work with though

They've probably got other sources of funding or members of the committee that will be providing free labour or at cost. A lot of these crowdfunding pages only seem to be for a percentage rather than the whole thing. Just because it came to mind I looked up Irvine Meadow's gofundme for floodlights as an example. The target is set for £10k. All together i'm sure it will cost more than that.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They've probably got other sources of funding or members of the committee that will be providing free labour or at cost. A lot of these crowdfunding pages only seem to be for a percentage rather than the whole thing. Just because it came to mind I looked up Irvine Meadow's gofundme for floodlights as an example. The target is set for £10k. All together i'm sure it will cost more than that.

Aye I suppose so

This looks more like an access road, a lot of trees cut down, maybe it’s totally unrelated. Either way it’s good to hear they’re hoping to be playing home games in the Drum as soon as possible by the sound of it.

On 11/06/2020 at 11:47, Chester Desmond said:

They seem to be a good bunch.  My step-daughter played with them for a bit and I was impressed by the scale of the operation.  Seems to be some really genuine folk involved, who want to do their best for the kids and community around here.  Was always seeing kids in their tracksuits on the way to training before THE EVENT.

I hope they get the facilities at the Donald Dewar sorted out for the season starting (whenever that might be).  They've got a good opportunity to attract a large number of folk in the area who have been involved themselves or have kids who are or have been there.  I dare say there would be a decent amount of interest.  From what I can tell they've made some ambitious signings as well.  Watched Ciaran McElroy when he played for Queen's Park and he had the ability to win games, although he maybe didn't show it as often as he'd have liked in his time there.  Ryan Hynes seems always to have scored goals for them, even if he found it more of a struggle when he was at QP as well.  I'd hope to get along to a couple of games once everything's up and running.

Tidy wee player McElroy though he does seem to become disinterested during games that he's not involved in a lot. Needs to get himself more involved as he has the ability to win games as he did for Kilbirnie at Auchinleck. 

• 2 months later...