George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

holy shit - looking at the background to this awful story, and found a table showing details of "arrest related deaths" over a seven year period (I'm assuming that the US Department of Justice is a fairly reliable source)

look at the percentage of deaths attributed to 'homicide by law enforcement  - that equates to more than one per day, and not a small sample size - that is just fucking horrific !

can a poplulation just become immune to this sort of behaviour when it is quite literally an everyday occurrence ?

i'm genuinely shocked at this

image.png.e8424290e6b34c2a7991aeb1bb839c5a.png

A bit of background to that -

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/deaths-police-custody-united-states/

For the most recent period where statistics are available (2003-2009), the BJS found that 4,813 persons “died during or shortly after law enforcement personnel attempted to arrest or restrain them… About 60 percent of arrest-related deaths (2,931) were classified as homicides by law enforcement personnel.” However, among these 2,931 homicides by law enforcement personnel, 75.3 percent were reported to have taken place in response to a violent offense — constituting a force-on-force situation, such as an intervention with an ongoing assault, robbery or murder: “Arrests for alleged violent crimes were involved in three of every four reported homicides by law enforcement personnel.”

Of reported arrest-related deaths, 45 percent of persons allegedly engaged in assault immediately prior to or during the arrest…. Of reported persons who died during the process of arrest, 95 percent were male. About 42 percent were white, 32 percent were black/African American and 20 percent were Hispanic or Latino. More than half (55 percent) were between ages 25 and 44, and juveniles (persons under age 18) were about 3 percent of all arrest-related deaths.

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

good find - and some extreme (and it has to be said, welcome of sorts) mitigation; must admit, I assumed that it referred to 'post-arrest' fatalities and not 'during the act of...'

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

A good way to out secret proponents of eugenics is to bring up the wildly disproportionate incarceration rate of black males in the States.

I admit that it's years since I was studying modern studies at school, but I remember reading that there were more young black men (under 25) in prison than white men of all age groups. I can't remember the specific numbers.

Now, there are two possible conclusions that can be drawn from such statistics:

A) Young black men are more likely to commit a crime than white men.

Or

B) There are racial prejudices ingrained in the justice system that disadvantage young black men.

We all know which of these is more likely to be true. 

Spoiler

CLUE: it's B

7 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

good find - and some extreme (and it has to be said, welcome of sorts) mitigation; must admit, I assumed that it referred to 'post-arrest' fatalities and not 'during the act of...'

Me, too.

The problem with cops in the USA are:

1. That they are held in the same sort of mind-numbingly illogical reverence as the armed forces

2. They are basically shaved and uniformed versions of those impotent morons who stormed that town hall in Michigan to demand their freedom. 

Absolute NAP that this piece of shit is either found not guilty or guilty of a lesser offence by a 95% white jury. Which will then lead to more riots. It's obviously a massive generalisation but america is a racist fucking cesspit, absolutely made worse during Trump's tenure. 

7 hours ago, Empty It said:

American police are the biggest gang in the world, bullied nobodies that are angry with society and take a badge and gun as a free pass to do whatever they please.

I'm in the biggest gang you ever saw, above the law, looking through the eyes of a pig I see it all.

Not my words, the words of a Mr B Real.

I love their innocent until proven guilty justice system aswell, police can pick you up for literally nothing and you can spend months in jail until you get a trial if you can't afford to pay your way out.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

I'm in the biggest gang you ever saw, above the law, looking through the eyes of a pig I see it all.

Not my words, the words of a Mr B Real.

Similarly, Ice T in 1991..

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

The problem with cops in the USA are:

1. That they are held in the same sort of mind-numbingly illogical reverence as the armed forces

2. They are basically shaved and uniformed versions of those impotent morons who stormed that town hall in Michigan to demand their freedom. 

Absolute NAP that this piece of shit is either found not guilty or guilty of a lesser offence by a 95% white jury. Which will then lead to more riots. It's obviously a massive generalisation but america is a racist fucking cesspit, absolutely made worse during Trump's tenure. 

His defence team will probably play on any verdict against him being given to appease the rioters and looters. 

6 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Can't get past the pop ups, unwatchable. 

Any updates on the arrested journalist and his colleagues?

24 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

They were released almost immediately and were given an apology by the mayor. 

The police and mayors office probably shat themselves when it happened live on TV.