George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Even nowadays a policeman could go out to investigate an incident only to be lured into an ambush. Basically they need to be on alert at all times, although I'm sure certain names and addresses raise more concern than others.

which makes it all the more admirable that they don't go being all gung ho, especially as the ones wholl be potentially using weapons against them actually know how to use them as opposed to a bunch of armed civilians

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly, considering the year this has been, it's not going to be a shock if this ends with Trump ordering a Purge night once a year from now on in.

The truly terrifying thing is that if Trump was to watch one of the Purge films tonight, he'll probably be signing an Executive Order for it to become legal tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Not really sure why there are thousands of people protesting in places like Denmark and Australia.

Well, Australia I get. They hate any race that's not Nicole KIdman white.

Big protest in Amsterdam yesterday, the mayor has told all attendees to self isolate for 2 weeks, she's received quite a bit of criticism for letting it go ahead. 

Edited by stevieKTID

28 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not my words but the words of Martin Luther King jr. I suppose you could tell him a thing or two about race relations in the US.

You’re probably right though. Rioting will solve the problem. Like the LA riots after Rodney King got a doing. That stopped police brutality.

The poll tax riots changed nothing. Mass non-compliance stopped the poll tax.

Maybe sometimes having a wee riot does help. Maybe sometimes it’s hugely counter productive. I reckon usually the latter.

It must be hard though. It seems like every year you get another police officer murdering a black person, and it is murder as the majority of times it seems totally unprovoked/unnecessary. 

I think its really easy, especially in the UK, to under estimate quite how racist that country is. We have it pretty bad over here against foreign people, as much as many people try and ignore that and pretend it doesnt exist, yet over there it's out in the open to the entire nation.

Add in the fact they get brought up to worship the army, have a president who encourages violence, and you can get a gun no matter where you live, and it's easy to see why violence is their answer to violence.

Itll never end over there, never.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 20:28, dorlomin said:

They have invaded and burned down the White House. Its one of those "history things" you find in books and stuff. Not very banterific or what ever the term all the cool middle aged people are using these days. 

its only white and iconic BECAUSE the Canadians burned it down,the yanks should be thanking them for doing that

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It must be hard though. It seems like every year you get another police officer murdering a black person, and it is murder as the majority of times it seems totally unprovoked/unnecessary. 

I think its really easy, especially in the UK, to under estimate quite how racist that country is. We have it pretty bad over here against foreign people, as much as many people try and ignore that and pretend it doesnt exist, yet over there it's out in the open to the entire nation.

Add in the fact they get brought up to worship the army, have a president who encourages violence, and you can get a gun no matter where you live, and it's easy to see why violence is their answer to violence.

I agree with all of that. They are also in a self defeating cycle.

Some black communities are openly hostile to the police (with some justification) which creates a level of mutual distrust which I'm not sure will ever heal.

I'm sure a lot of police would be genuinely fearful if they were sent to an incident/make an arrest in one of those communities, and it puts them on edge/on the defensive from the very beginning.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree with all of that. They are also in a self defeating cycle.

Some black communities are openly hostile to the police (with some justification) which creates a level of mutual distrust which I'm not sure will ever heal.

I'm sure a lot of police would be genuinely fearful if they were sent to an incident/make an arrest in one of those communities, and it puts them on edge/on the defensive from the very beginning.

It's become generational.

Police officers die in black neighbourhoods, so their sons get brought up with that hate, and their friends encourage it.

Black people die unfairly at the hands of the police, so their sons get brought up with that hate, and their friends encourage it.

Its ingrained now, just part of their respective cultures.

48 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I must admit as a man with instinctive cynicism my first reaction to Liverpool's post was a roll of the eyes. I don't think i'm wrong, social media is full of footballers/celebrities jumping on bandwagons and giving us emotional accounts of how much these issues mean to them. I'd say a significant number of them do it as an opportunistic move to promote themselves. 

I mean, I've suffered depression most of my life and a lot of the recent celebrities 'admitting' to their mental health problems has me cringing and calling bullshit.

HOWEVER, whether my natural cynicism is accurate or not you have to realise that it's insignificant in comparison to the issue at large here. You'd have to have something wrong with you to see that George Floyd footage (or read the history of the US) and not see that America has a serious issue with racism that needs resolved. Some pressure and scrutiny from high profile places across the world, in addition to the protests being made within will hopefully wake them up and see change.

In short, Liverpool are cringe but it's a means to an end.    

However once COVID-19 passes and Liverpool are offered millions by some american corporation to do a pre-season tour of the states you just know they'll absolutely jump at it. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

From the uk, it does look fucked up. 

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Police officers die in black neighbourhoods, so their sons get brought up with that hate, and their friends encourage it.

Genuinely interested in a link to articles or stats to back this up. 

I mind watching a documentary about the Polis in America and their training is fucking frightening. I don't mean that in any other way than the definition of that word: it scares the shit out of them. They are taught, repeatedly, that any potential suspect can, at any time, pull out a gun and kill them. They have it forced into their head, from the first day they sign up til the day they retire, that everyone is a potential murderer and their lives are on the line.

I don't blame some of them for being a bit jumpy. Combine that jumpiness with the sense of entitlement and power they have and they're a fucking gang beholden to no one.

The military were using Blackhawks to fly over protesters and trying to use the downdraft (?) to get them to disperse. Absolutely mental scenes in the last 24 hours.

Edited by RiG

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I mind watching a documentary about the Polis in America and their training is fucking frightening. I don't mean that in any other way than the definition of that word: it scares the shit out of them. They are taught, repeatedly, that any potential suspect can, at any time, pull out a gun and kill them. They have it forced into their head, from the first day they sign up til the day they retire, that everyone is a potential murderer and their lives are on the line.

I don't blame some of them for being a bit jumpy. Combine that jumpiness with the sense of entitlement and power they have and they're a fucking gang beholden to no one.

Americans generally seem to be utterly terrified of crime. They speak of criminals in terms which call to mind “the boogeyman” and a large proportion of them seem convinced someone is imminently going to break into their house and kill their entire family.

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Do you ever stop to think how you behave on here affects others?

Some folk can across as right dicks at times on here. Some have a sneering, arrogant act and some have a wind up act.

I usually just ignore that sort of thing but some others may be more affected by it than you know. I imagine most folk don't actually want to upset anyone, but it definitely happens. 

Arguments will no doubt be made about how folk shouldn't be on here if they 'can't take it', but that's too easy and refuses responsibility. This is supposed to be a laugh for the most part with some sensible debate, or at least debate, thrown in.

Some folk might be having a tough time, and of course you don't know (how could you?), but does anyone ever think that perhaps they've been a bit of a tosser, even if you haven't upset anyone?

Certainly there's a few times where I've been a bit heavy on folk and have thought that there was no need for it reading it back, and even if the people in question didn't care or found it amusing, that doesn't really excuse it.

I just think can maybe be a little nicer sometimes.

1. Great comeback that absolutely didn't dodge every single point made and answers all of them succinctly, making some good counter arguments and raising some interesting things to consider.

2. The post quoted ends with 'sometimes'. Sometimes is not all the time. In that case I have absolutely no qualms about my reply. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Genuinely interested in a link to articles or stats to back this up. 

Hard to find anything just now as "police officer death black neighbourhood" is just bringing up the most recent story.

Certain I read something years ago that the majority of "deaths in service" come in black neighbourhoods due to guns.

I wasnt intending to try and make an excuse for them, as I realise that's maybe how it came across. The vast majority of police over there seem out of control and know that they can get away with more against black people than white due to what seems to be institutionalized racism.

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Like many, I've visited the US but never really interacted with their police but their Immigration Officials aren't the friendliest.  I can imagine how  the police would  be.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Certain I read something years ago that the majority of "deaths in service" come in black neighbourhoods due to guns.

This may be true but I'd argue, with near certainty, that that's a question of confusing causation with correlation. I'd be happy to wager that the majority of "deaths in service" come from neighbourhoods with higher rates of poverty. There just happens to be a correlation with black neighbourhoods because African Americans are disproportionately stuck in poverty cycles compared to other races in America