George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Thanks for the explanation. As a lay person it looks brutal to be choking folk out. There has to be ways for four people to pin down someone else without crushing their windpipe or making them panic and lose consciousness. 

There are ways for two people to do that. In either a standing or sitting position, there is a restrainer at each side with a wrist lock in place. This wristlock does not hurt the person being restrained, it just stops them from moving their arms. They also bring their foot slightly behind the restrainees foot and bring their hip in tight against them. Each restrainer is positioned slightly behind the restrainee, as this reduces the risk of being headbutted or spat on. It's also good practice to look straight ahead and not make eye contact with the person who is being restrained.

When done properly, this hold is safe, highly effective and almost impossible to get out of. There is usually a struggle for the first minute or so, but the person being restrained usually tires themself out or stops struggling so it's safe to let them go.

In more extreme cases, you might require an additional person or two to do leg locks but that didn't happen very often.

But yeah, there is never any need to restrict someone's breathing.

I'm sorry for the in depth explanation of restraint technique, as you probably don't need to know that. However,I'm just trying to explain that every single death as a result of restraint has been needless.

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Minnesota hasn't gone red since 1956

Clinton's margin of victory in 2016 there was just 1.5% though and it was the only state that the Democrats actually won in the Upper Midwest that year. Which narrative comes out on top from this is likely to prove decisive in five months' time.

Edited by vikingTON

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A lot of these people are slipping the psychiatric evaluation net and being put into roles in spite of being absolutely psychotic sadists.

One of the examples I remember most is of the Daniel Shaver incident where the cop is giving a list of jumbled, angry instructions to a guy who is clearly half cut, distressed, frightened out of his fucking wits and confused. The cop decides after putting the guy in an extremely physically uncomfortable and uncompromising position, that he isn't crawling in the manner that he wants and when the guy moves his arm out of sheer discomfort, rattles 4 bullets into him, killing him.

The offending cop was fired, then reinstated and retired on a full pension at 29 years of age. But crucially, never brought to trial

I'd never seen that before. Absolutely sickening.

I Googled it and, according to Wikipedia, he was found not guilty of both murder and manslaughter.

I am no legal expert, but that looks like murder to me.

45 minutes ago, virginton said:

NB: For a city that I wouldn't be surprised if it went up in flames tomorrow and would cause almost zero loss to the outside world, see Cleveland, Ohio.

Apart from their racist baseball team I've only ever heard good things about Cleveland 

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's the way the cop's sitting there with his hands in his pockets, like he's showing how easy it is, probably because the victim's dead or dying.

28836866-8357713-image-a-10_159049783880

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind kneeling on someone's neck while they are handcuffed on the ground.

Unless you are actually attempting to kill them and cause them great distress while doing so, in which case that's a pretty effective way of achieving that.

Edited by Richey Edwards

1 hour ago, virginton said:

NB: For a city that I wouldn't be surprised if it went up in flames tomorrow and would cause almost zero loss to the outside world, see Cleveland, Ohio.

Only noteworthy people I know of from there are the Street Fight boys who got fairly big off the back of advising people to do drugs and steal things so that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind kneeling on someone's neck while they are handcuffed on the ground.

Unless you are actually attempting to kill them and cause them great distress while doing so, in which case that's a pretty effective way of achieving that.

Answered your own question there.

Oooft! Controversial! Also f**k all to do with what’s being discussed. Away back to your mums bedroom & stop polluting the forum with your absolute worn out “patter”

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

A lot of these people are slipping the psychiatric evaluation net and being put into roles in spite of being absolutely psychotic sadists.

One of the examples I remember most is of the Daniel Shaver incident where the cop is giving a list of jumbled, angry instructions to a guy who is clearly half cut, distressed, frightened out of his fucking wits and confused. The cop decides after putting the guy in an extremely physically uncomfortable and uncompromising position, that he isn't crawling in the manner that he wants and when the guy moves his arm out of sheer discomfort, rattles 4 bullets into him, killing him.

The offending cop was fired, then reinstated and retired on a full pension at 29 years of age. But crucially, never brought to trial

Jesus fucking christ that is just mental....jesus christ

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I read an article by a journalist returning to the UK after many years in the USA who said American police are best treated and reacted to like an occupying army which always stuck with me.

I'd never thought about it like that but, yeah, that's pretty accurate.

There's no hope for America, on this and a variety of other issues, largely because there's no majority appetite for change. In a decade's time, we'll still be seeing video footage of minorities being murdered by the police without even the flimsiest of justifications, because Middle America is fundamentally terrified of black people, and is very morally malleable if the feeling of safety is under threat.

51 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It's worse than it looks, from other angles, you can see that there are two cops behind the car also restraining this guy, so he was going nowhere, knee or no knee.

That is unreal. I presume the rioting was epic because that's clearly murder of a man on his knees begging for his life

That guy could have been secured within seconds,  that was murder.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's the way the cop's sitting there with his hands in his pockets, like he's showing how easy it is, probably because the victim's dead or dying.

28836866-8357713-image-a-10_159049783880

Apparently they previously worked together,  it does look personal. 

He should be in jail for a long time for that.

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

That guy could have been secured within seconds,  that was murder.

Apparently they previously worked together,  it does look personal. 

He should be in jail for a long time for that.

Not going to happen, he's dead.

Oh, wait. Nah, that won't happen either, he's a white cop with a black suspect.