George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I visit and it has been a bit topic for as long as I've been going. One of my favourite places.

It’s brilliant, I love it down that way.

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Why we just become selective of history whether we agree with it or not, the worlds moved on and in this internet age we find out what were heroes or revered to by people in the past are massive c**ts.  Like it or not its part of the countrys history.

The end of the day the human race is full of hypocrisy

Have you missed the push over the past week for more of Britain's colonial/slave trading/generally horrifically racist history to actually be taught in schools? The push being made by exactly the same movement which tore down that statue today?

Seems to me that teaching children in schools is probably a more effective method of making sure people know about and learn from history than leaving up a random scattering of statues across the country. Genuinely wild that the line folk are going for with this is 'erasing history' when that history goes completely ignored and unacknowledged every single day in this country. Willing to bet that most of the people opposing it being torn down had never even heard of this guy until today and had no idea this historically crucial statue existed. I know I hadn't which is absolutely shameful both on a personal level and as a comment on how completely absent from life in the UK any acknowledgement of the non sunshine and rainbows elements of our history is.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It’s brilliant, I love it down that way.

Nothing better than an early finish and a few pints by the river. I thought I was tripping the first time I was there during the balloon festival. I had always thought Balloon Landing was a strange name for a place when I seen it on buses.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Nothing better than an early finish and a few pints by the river. I thought I was tripping the first time I was there during the balloon festival. I had always thought Balloon Landing was a strange name for a place when I seen it on buses.

Apart from the harbourside pubs wanting you to re-mortgage for a round. 

Just now, red23 said:

Maybe covered earlier in this thread but people are rioting in the UK about an american policeman(men) because a random black guy being unjustly murdered why?

I think you may have slightly simplified the whole situation a tad here. 

18 minutes ago, red23 said:

Maybe covered earlier in this thread but people are rioting in the UK over an american policeman(men) unjustly killing a random black guy why?

No, they’re just using the unjustified and disgusting killing of a random black guy to kick off and act like c***s

4 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

No, they’re just using the unjustified and disgusting killing of a random black guy to kick off and act like c***s

I think the majority are genuine in the uk whereas in the states people are looting stores which has nothing to do with anything.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

I think the majority are genuine in the uk whereas in the states people are looting stores which has nothing to do with anything.

The majority are genuine in the USA, but the police over there are letting the minority looters get away with it as an excuse to crack down on peaceful protesters.

59 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Have you missed the push over the past week for more of Britain's colonial/slave trading/generally horrifically racist history to actually be taught in schools? The push being made by exactly the same movement which tore down that statue today?

Seems to me that teaching children in schools is probably a more effective method of making sure people know about and learn from history than leaving up a random scattering of statues across the country. Genuinely wild that the line folk are going for with this is 'erasing history' when that history goes completely ignored and unacknowledged every single day in this country. Willing to bet that most of the people opposing it being torn down had never even heard of this guy until today and had no idea this historically crucial statue existed. I know I hadn't which is absolutely shameful both on a personal level and as a comment on how completely absent from life in the UK any acknowledgement of the non sunshine and rainbows elements of our history is.

Well so long as they teach the kids that slavery was abolished in the UK in 1834, and that almost all BAME arrived in the UK after the Second World War and were NOT brought here as slaves, that'd be a good start.