George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

33 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Is it a sense of entitlement and white privilege that these guys think it's a good idea to get in the way of a bunch of riot police walking down the street? Would a young black man saunter into the way of a pack of riot police and be shocked to be shoved out of the way and not have them all stop what they are doing and hang on his every word instead? 

Like the Chinese guy in front of the tanks, the black girl, Ieshia L. Evans a few years back.

36 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Is it a sense of entitlement and white privilege that these guys think it's a good idea to get in the way of a bunch of riot police walking down the street? Would a young black man saunter into the way of a pack of riot police and be shocked to be shoved out of the way and not have them all stop what they are doing and hang on his every word instead?

They've spent their lives in a different world. One in which, if a police officer assaulted them on camera, there would be repercussions. The rules of their world have been changed, at least temporarily.

Young black men are taught, if you see the police coming, you run, whether you've committed a crime or not. In some states, their grandparents still remember when the police arriving in a black neighbourhood meant there's gonna be a lynching.

43 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Are the police finally overcoming their racism? Cracking old white skulls with the gusto usually reserved for young black skulls.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

That'll have been me. Still can't find the article, it was really good.

Just had a slightly mad conversation with my wife who showed me a supercut of some of the police's greatest hits (literally and figuratively) over the last few days in tears and got a bit pissed off with me for reacting by shrugging my shoulders and saying "yes those are American police that's what they do". But really what am I supposed to say? It's like something Limmy said once about those ISIS beheading videos where he's like "Yup that's terrible. That confirms what I thought about these people. What am I supposed to do with this information?".

It's a bit like Dorlomin whining about us discussing this instead of Xi being a brutal and scary dictator. Well yeah..

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Are the police finally overcoming their racism? Cracking old white skulls with the gusto usually reserved for young black skulls.

They just need to work on phase two. Swarming and stomping the auld yins once they have them on the deck. True racial equality will be when packs of them start beating old white women to death. 

Police in America are a very strange breed indeed. Most provincial places they are no more than security guards with next to no legal knowledge or investigative training. They are also hideously gun happy and enter almost every situation at a ridiculously heightened level of aggression. Once you start off at that level you can't really back off or de escalate  the situation.

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

They just need to work on phase two. Swarming and stomping the auld yins once they have them on the deck. True racial equality will be when packs of them start beating old white women to death. 

They are getting there. Little fat piggy shoots disabled man in face with rubber bullet.

dt0mybnnr1351.jpeg

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Yes. Right to assembly is a constitutional right to which they are entitled.

If there was a riot police division that only dealt with scumbags like breaking up Tommy Robinson rallies then that would be my dream job! Sign me up. 

Can't believe I forgot to mention this, but (in some states, at least), did you know that they have volunteer police who carry firearms? My father-in-law was one. He used to brag about the illegal shit he got up to around the dinner table.

13 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

They are getting there. Little fat piggy shoots disabled man in face with rubber bullet.

dt0mybnnr1351.jpeg

Just about every image of them has them all pointing and shouting at each other like there's no chain of command or trained procedures apart from beating the shit out of everyone.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Can't believe I forgot to mention this, but (in some states, at least), did you know that they have volunteer police who carry firearms? My father-in-law was one. He used to brag about the illegal shit he got up to around the dinner table.

In New York City alone there are six privately run police forces with the legal right to arrest and carry firearms. (There are 16 publicly funded services with power of arrest in New York City plus the 8 publicly ran services with power of arrest in New York State plus about 100 federal agencies that can do so)

Policing in America is a clusterfuck.

20 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Police in America are a very strange breed indeed. Most provincial places they are no more than security guards with next to no legal knowledge or investigative training. They are also hideously gun happy and enter almost every situation at a ridiculously heightened level of aggression. Once you start off at that level you can't really back off or de escalate  the situation.

Possibly the saddest aspect of this is the scale of the problem.  The scale of the ignorance, the scale and level of racism and the simple logistics of trying to tackle a problem of this magnitude.

The politicians need to try and the public need to support them but trying to de escalate, let alone fix it, just seems a gargantuan task.

13 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I cant think of one country where its legal to shit round the dinner table tbf.

Apart from Holland where its mandatory. 

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Fucking nanny state.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Tempting to get one of these government petitions going demanding that they specifically legislate against it.

Edited by welshbairn

I'm not going to have some jackbooted Stasi stormtrooper, right, coming in here, telling me whether I can or cannot defecate in my own home while eating my Sunday roast.

This exactly how Nazi Germany started.