George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

A lot of these people are slipping the psychiatric evaluation net and being put into roles in spite of being absolutely psychotic sadists.

One of the examples I remember most is of the Daniel Shaver incident where the cop is giving a list of jumbled, angry instructions to a guy who is clearly half cut, distressed, frightened out of his fucking wits and confused. The cop decides after putting the guy in an extremely physically uncomfortable and uncompromising position, that he isn't crawling in the manner that he wants and when the guy moves his arm out of sheer discomfort, rattles 4 bullets into him, killing him.

The offending cop was fired, then reinstated and retired on a full pension at 29 years of age. But crucially, never brought to trial

That was awful.

Why was he shot? Did he try to reach for the woman's handbag, or did he just topple over while trying to crawl forward?

40 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Dee Man said:
They were released almost immediately and were given an apology by the mayor. 

Surely it should be the pumped up twats that arrested them that should be apologising, not the mayor.

Mad trumpets no doubt.

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

America is easily the most corrupt country on the planet.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Somalia actually, although the -Stans tend to be pretty bad. 

In terms of ‘Westernised democracies’ the USA is the most morally corrupt country.

Many of the Local police forces seem to be institutionally racist and the only way to deal with this is wholesale reorganisation.  Not sure if that’s happened in any of these cases.

I was thinking you could put a lot of police killings down to the gun laws, and you could many down to them being shit scared of someone shooting them first as loads of them are killed every year. But it's not that dangerous a job given the size of the country, and there's about 690,000 of them.

image.png.1c82843593b8277e579ee25758ea0938.png

https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2019

In comparison a thousand construction workers on average are killed every year. 

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

A man who is ironically probably best known now for being a TV cop.

Yeah - even when he released the metal/hardcore track “Cop Killa” that got the media frothing he said he could never even go to the shops without police stopping him for pictures or autographs. 

For balance, statistics for England and Wales (couldn't see Scottish ones) for the decade between 2008 and 2018:

Deaths as a result of contact with the police - 1559

Prosecutions - 0

That's an awful lot tragic and completely unavoidable of accidents...

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

14 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry to spam the place with hip hop but this was 1988. Police brutality was nothing new then and not much has changed. 

The Detroit riots of 1967 were sparked by alleged police brutality. The film that was released about it a couple of years ago is worth watching.

I've been to America three times in my life and every time I've been I've always been a bit surprised by how foreign it feels.  I think because we get so much American culture over here (music, films, documentaries etc.) and because they speak English, even if we haven't been, we think we know America quite well.  We don't at all.  It's a completely different world in some ways.

The death of the fella is absolutely tragic. Yes he shouldn’t have had “forged documents”, but he was hardly an imminent threat to society. The policeman in question should be put in jail. In regards to the looting and fire raising etc, I think it’s pathetic. Make your point by burin down a police station, but when they’re looting innocent shops it just makes them seem just as much as a problem as the racism in the police force 

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've been to America three times in my life and every time I've been I've always been a bit surprised by how foreign it feels.  I think because we get so much American culture over here (music, films, documentaries etc.) and because they speak English, even if we haven't been, we think we know America quite well.  We don't at all.  It's a completely different world in some ways.

I find it more culturally alien than most places I've been. Kept getting into trouble with the normal to and fro chat I do here, or anywhere in Europe, with a bit of mutual teasing. If it's not someone you know well a lot of them take mild disagreement like you've just called their Mother a whore.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yes he shouldn’t have had “forged documents”

Who knows where he got a forged $20 note from, he might have got it in change for a $50 in the same shop the day before.

5 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The majority of American culture is the result of the amalgamation of the various cultures of the people who have arrived there over the centuries.

You would think that a nation with such a diversity of people - and whose very existence in it's modern form was the result of immigration from all over the world - would be more tolerant and accepting to each other. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I find it more culturally alien than most places I've been. Kept getting into trouble with the normal to and fro chat I do here, or anywhere in Europe, with a bit of mutual teasing. If it's not someone you know well a lot of them take mild disagreement like you've just called their Mother a whore.

I've been to both the US and Canada, and much preferred Canada. The people were generally alot friendlier and more open to chit chat and banter.