George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

On 02/06/2020 at 12:15, Mr. Alli said:

Is it the same Flint that the Netflix series was about? 

Yep - you might also be interested in how it got that way. Watch Michael Moore's* "Roger and Me".

*Yeah, I know. One of his earlier works though, before he started believing all his own hype.

8 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Polling suggests even Trump's own base think this is a bit much

"Fair/poor" seems a bit of an odd response grouping. 54% saying fair or poor could mean 2 entirely different things.

I might keep it in mind though in case of any questions that require a tactful response.

On 02/06/2020 at 12:40, Empty It said:
On 02/06/2020 at 12:21, Granny Danger said:
That’s a big part of it.  Another part is that we expect better from an affluent Western democracy.

Surely at this point now nobody expects better from America, nothing that happens there seems to suprise, even electing a egotistical racist with no political history to run their backwards country.

I think it's more the "America now, UK next" theory. Also there's more than a few happy to justify their own racism by pointing and saying, "look at what's happening in the USA!", conveniently ignoring that "the problem" is a society that still, at bottom, doesn't believe slavery has or should have ended.

The internet decided that Karens are supposed to be bitches, right? The wife and I always give each other a quick look when we meet one, as a disproportionate number of the girls of easy virtue we've known have been called Karen.

Daves are excessively boring. There's no point denying it. Pick any Dave you can think of, and I guarantee they have a boring nerdy hobby that they would just love to tell you about, whether you're listening or not. PM me for more about my love of scale modelling.

20 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t think she is a stereotypical Karen but someone referred to her as that and it’s why I looked up what it meant.

I thought Karens were supposed to be entitled / moaning / grassing middle class white women. If that's right she's an uber-Karen.

On 02/06/2020 at 13:14, throbber said:

I don’t particularly like this “full of” chat, as if these comments are in the majority. Most people tweeting about LR are explaining exactly why there was no need for mass demonstration after his murder. 

I hate to say it, but the majority of people in this country either

a. Approve of the current far-right Government, up to and including actually voting for the cúnts, or

b. Are too fucking lazy to get out there and do something, any fucking thing, more than post memes on FB in order to improve their lives and society in general.

a. and b. are, de facto, cúnts, therefore the original statement stands.

34 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I thought Karens were supposed to be entitled / moaning / grassing middle class white women. If that's right she's an uber-Karen.

Nah you are right. I was being too specific by assuming Karen’s were usually middle aged soccer mums who drove SUV’s, never worked and lived off their husbands, constantly asked to speak to the manager in shops/restaurants and showed up to their kids schools complaining about the grades their children got on top of all other things you mentioned.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Had to google that. Americans are nuts. Her dog's been taken away too because she was choking it.

Look at how she's dragging that dug around, I hope she's being charged for that.

Pair of them were acting like twats there but she takes the fcuking biscuit. 

48 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I think it's more the "America now, UK next" theory. Also there's more than a few happy to justify their own racism by pointing and saying, "look at what's happening in the USA!", conveniently ignoring that "the problem" is a society that still, at bottom, doesn't believe slavery has or should have ended.

Good post.

White, middle class Brits proclaiming that UK doesn't have a racism problem because they don't see it written about in the Daily Mail.

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

Nah you are right. I was being too specific by assuming Karen’s were usually middle aged soccer mums who drove SUV’s, never worked and lived off their husbands, constantly asked to speak to the manager in shops/restaurants and showed up to their kids schools complaining about the grades their children got on top of all other things you mentioned.

I think the Venn diagram of "entitled / moaning / grassing middle class white women" and "middle aged soccer mums who drove SUV’s, never worked and lived off their husbands, constantly asked to speak to the manager in shops/restaurants and showed up to their kids schools complaining about the grades their children got" will have an enormous overlap, to be fair.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I think the Venn diagram of "entitled / moaning / grassing middle class white women" and "middle aged soccer mums who drove SUV’s, never worked and lived off their husbands, constantly asked to speak to the manager in shops/restaurants and showed up to their kids schools complaining about the grades their children got" will have an enormous overlap, to be fair.

Ooft, that's one of the wife's relatives to a tee. Think I'll call her Karen from now on. Almost got us thrown out during an amazing Mexican meal because the waiter didn't know if our food contained pork; was going to contact the news because she might have been fed a non-Kosher meal, and wanted money off the bill as a result. Thinking about it, she always wants money off the bill.

It's a Mexican restaurant. If you want to keep kosher, eat the fucking guacamole, and shut your hole.

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Ooft, that's one of the wife's relatives to a tee. Think I'll call her Karen from now on. Almost got us thrown out during an amazing Mexican meal because the waiter didn't know if our food contained pork; was going to contact the news because she might have been fed a non-Kosher meal, and wanted money off the bill as a result. Thinking about it, she always wants money off the bill.

It's a Mexican restaurant. If you want to keep kosher, eat the fucking guacamole, and shut your hole.

They still call her "El Karen maximo" to this day.