Jump to content

George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests


Recommended Posts

I was shocked to see on the news that there are 1100+ fatalities per year in USA caused by police offers. One problem is that there are 18000 different authorities and little “joined up” standards or procedures. I hadn’t a clue about the scale of this problem and it seems thugs in uniform and brutal force is rife. 
 

In any normal society, you’d rip up the system and start again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned the 80s - guy I knew was a burglar. Bit of a druggie (hash mostly), no job and robbed houses to get money. For a while I was crashing at a squat with him and others. He was lifted repeatedly but always seemed to get community service and fines - which he robbed more houses to get the money to pay off. He wasn't a bad guy, he just didn't have a problem with burglary. Great guitarist, he used to play in pubs for a few quid here and there. Taught me a few chords and stuff. Anyway, one night the police had enough. They smashed down the front door of the squat, told the rest of us to f**k off then jammed both of his hands in a door frame and broke all his fingers by slamming the door repeatedly on them. Laughed and said he'd never play guitar again. He went to a lawyer who came back and said the Police story was he got his hands caught in a door by accident as he was resisting arrest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, deegee said:

I was shocked to see on the news that there are 1100+ fatalities per year in USA caused by police offers. One problem is that there are 18000 different authorities and little “joined up” standards or procedures. I hadn’t a clue about the scale of this problem and it seems thugs in uniform and brutal force is rife. 
 

In any normal society, you’d rip up the system and start again.

You would just ban gun ownership and that number would instantly reduce to a bare minimum 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Someone mentioned the 80s - guy I knew was a burglar. Bit of a druggie (hash mostly), no job and robbed houses to get money. For a while I was crashing at a squat with him and others. He was lifted repeatedly but always seemed to get community service and fines - which he robbed more houses to get the money to pay off. He wasn't a bad guy, he just didn't have a problem with burglary. Great guitarist, he used to play in pubs for a few quid here and there. Taught me a few chords and stuff. Anyway, one night the police had enough. They smashed down the front door of the squat, told the rest of us to f**k off then jammed both of his hands in a door frame and broke all his fingers by slamming the door repeatedly on them. Laughed and said he'd never play guitar again. He went to a lawyer who came back and said the Police story was he got his hands caught in a door by accident as he was resisting arrest. 

image.jpeg.32b57bcd28f296428793babad159713f.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The police involved here should be arrested and charged with murder and serve the relevant jail time.

The EMTs who did nothing should be arrested and charged and serve the relevant jail time, as well as never being allowed to work as an EMT again.

Sadly I suspect none of that will happen. The riots that inevitable occur will be because they'll all get away with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've read about this (not watching a video of a murder) and there's stuff that happens before the video posted on the previous page:

Screenshot_20230128_090532_Reddit.thumb.jpg.3d0e52f7c3c90255a26bf7b6d4b7c955.jpg

Screenshot_20230128_090559_Reddit.jpg.68c6d5f66635ca4492b8a7055379835f.jpg

And it's hard to believe that it's the 1st time many of those involved have acted out of character this one time - there will likely be similar if less tragic incidents. 

Depressingly, there will be the usual immediate response to what's happened and then it will all get forgotten about until another incident...rinse and repeat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not totally relevant but the footage seems to just show 2 cops throwing punches and the others holding the poor guy up - I imagine this will be used in the defence of at least some of the cops to get a lighter sentence for them.  I've no idea if there is other footage and what it shows - the stuff I've seen doesn't actually show anything related to the actual beating itself.  

Surely under joint enterprise‘I was just holding him whilst he got beaten to death’ isn’t going to mean anything?

That looks like a gang beating, there is simply no way for the courts to treat this any different

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, parsforlife said:

Surely under joint enterprise‘I was just holding him whilst he got beaten to death’ isn’t going to mean anything?

That looks like a gang beating, there is simply no way for the courts to treat this any different

I'd be surprised if all 4 involved were equally punished on the basis of that footage alone.  There is other footage which, when taken in entirety, may make them all equally 'involved' but if not I'm sure their individual lawyers will be looking at ways to isolate the 2 who who threw the punches from the other 2.  If I'm not mistaken, another poster has already said different cops involved have been charged with different crimes. 

In an ideal world, the 2 throwing punches would be sentenced to a slow painful death and the other 2 a very slightly quicker one.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

What we don't know is what came before and after that particular clip.  

I have seen what happened at the initial traffic stop and then on to where he was caught.

At the traffic stop they throw vile threats of beatings at him, then try to pepper spray him but miss and end up getting themselves with pepper spray. 

They catch him again, and he is down with 3 guys on top of him, before any punches are thrown he is booted in the head 3-4 times, whilst on the ground. On the body cam you can hear him screaming for his mother. Then he is pulled to his feet for the punching in the clip earlier in the thread.

Once he is put against the car, you can hear the police laughing, comparing injuries and generally buzzing about what just happened, suggesting that the laddie is out his face on drugs. Poor guy couldn't string a sentence together, but anyone would be like that after a brutal kicking from 4 huge guys with no way of defending yourself.

Utterly horrific.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd be surprised if all 4 involved were equally punished on the basis of that footage alone.  There is other footage which, when taken in entirety, may make them all equally 'involved' but if not I'm sure their individual lawyers will be looking at ways to isolate the 2 who who threw the punches from the other 2.  If I'm not mistaken, another poster has already said different cops involved have been charged with different crimes. 

In an ideal world, the 2 throwing punches would be sentenced to a slow painful death and the other 2 a very slightly quicker one.   

The report I read said they had all been charged with the same crimes.

The 6th officer should also be sacked, also the EMS who apparently delayed assistance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Someone mentioned the 80s - guy I knew was a burglar. Bit of a druggie (hash mostly), no job and robbed houses to get money. For a while I was crashing at a squat with him and others. He was lifted repeatedly but always seemed to get community service and fines - which he robbed more houses to get the money to pay off. He wasn't a bad guy, he just didn't have a problem with burglary. Great guitarist, he used to play in pubs for a few quid here and there. Taught me a few chords and stuff. Anyway, one night the police had enough. They smashed down the front door of the squat, told the rest of us to f**k off then jammed both of his hands in a door frame and broke all his fingers by slamming the door repeatedly on them. Laughed and said he'd never play guitar again. He went to a lawyer who came back and said the Police story was he got his hands caught in a door by accident as he was resisting arrest. 

 

Fiction, I know, but have you seen Yosser's Story, part of an 80's series known as Boys From The Blackstuff? The way the police dealt with him, when they take his kids away from him, shows how things were back then.

This is yet another appalling video of the police in the US. The cop is clearly very callous and itching to shoot the guy, who begs for his life first:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imagine if this was 5 gang members doing this to a police officer, they'd never see the light of day again but no doubt these police officers will get off as they always seem to do.

Hopefully they're convinced and get stuck into general population prison which they should last about an hour before being murdered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Give them a fair trial, find them guilty then execute them. It's what would happen if any other black gang killed someone. 

You don't get executed for killing someone by beating them up, i don't think 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Imagine if this was 5 gang members doing this to a police officer, they'd never see the light of day again but no doubt these police officers will get off as they always seem to do.

Hopefully they're convinced and get stuck into general population prison which they should last about an hour before being murdered.

 

I am in complete agreement that those officers are thoroughly obnoxious, but do you really want them to be murdered?

I will probably get shot down in flames for this, but isn't that the sort of attitude that allows police brutality to flourish? If police officers played by the book, instead of meting out their own form of 'justice' which is accepted by their colleagues, then police brutality wouldn't be such a problem. 

One of the problems America has, is that brutality is glamourised. Violence begets violence. In an ideal world these men would be jailed, but also made to realise just how brutal and cowardly their actions were. They're nothing but thugs who were wrongly entrusted with a position of power.

What's most concerning about this is that they have probably done it many times before, but the victims survived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...