George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

The cop has been charged with murder.

thought I read that they had worked together as security guards at a nightclub but that the people there didn’t know if they’d ever worked together or knew each other. I can imagine people are just finding out more stuff about all this though so things have probably developed.

There are obviously circumstances where the police need to use force and occasionally deadly force. Clearly there are huge issues with extreme violence used out of context by police in the USA though.

I listened to a couple of podcasts with Malcolm Gladwell promoting a book where he writes about a similar case and talked about the reasons how these situations develop. I think the police are trained to be hyper aggressive when arresting people in order, as they see it, to protect themselves. They are trained to look at every situation as potentially escalating rather than an escalation or having to deal with an armed assailant as the tiny exception. So you end up treating people nicked for counterfeit dollars or selling single cigarettes like you are taking in Al Capone.

Of course, race is the obvious huge issue that makes all this more potent.

19 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Can you imagine if you were a young black guy there just now?? How the f**k would you just not want to kill every c**t in a uniform??

f**k America. 

They're used to it. Imagine how their grandfathers felt. And imagine how their grandfathers felt.

But, you still get fucksticks who'll swear blind that black people are no longer disadvantaged in American society. Some of them probably mean it too.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

It's worse than it looks, from other angles, you can see that there are two cops behind the car also restraining this guy, so he was going nowhere, knee or no knee.

Yeah, I saw the pictures of the other cops behind the car.

There was no need for him to still be on the ground. He was cuffed and by all accounts wasn't resisting. Surely the sensible thing to have done would have been to get him up and into the car?

I don't condone violence or mob actions etc, but the anger and widespread condemnation of the actions of the police are totally justified, and it will be a very sad day when this kind of unlawful killing doesn't cause such a reaction.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The police are absolutely out of control. They arrested a journalist live on CNN this morning:

Is there more to this than we've seen here?

Terrible look for their polis live on tv, heads should surely roll for this (if it's as it appears)

In a lot of ways it's a great country, in other ways its completely fcuked up and scary.

26 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Can you imagine if you were a young black guy there just now?? How the f**k would you just not want to kill every c**t in a uniform??

f**k America. 

I'd probably be oot grabbing the biggest telly that I could get my hands on and whatever else I could get tbf.

The yank polis appear to be poorly trained and a law unto themselves, violence though just makes it worse and achieves nothing. 

30 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There are obviously circumstances where the police need to use force and occasionally deadly force. Clearly there are huge issues with extreme violence used out of context by police in the USA though.

I listened to a couple of podcasts with Malcolm Gladwell promoting a book where he writes about a similar case and talked about the reasons how these situations develop. I think the police are trained to be hyper aggressive when arresting people in order, as they see it, to protect themselves. They are trained to look at every situation as potentially escalating rather than an escalation or having to deal with an armed assailant as the tiny exception. So you end up treating people nicked for counterfeit dollars or selling single cigarettes like you are taking in Al Capone.

Of course, race is the obvious huge issue that makes all this more potent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2017/02/14/a-day-with-killology-police-trainer-dave-grossman/

Listened to a podcast that delved into this guy a bit. Psychotic.

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Do the police just get buzzed on the physical confrontation and not know when to stop? 

Yes. Egos inflated by a stab proof vest and a walkie talkie. Without doubt, the scummiest, rattiest c***s out.

holy shit - looking at the background to this awful story, and found a table showing details of "arrest related deaths" over a seven year period (I'm assuming that the US Department of Justice is a fairly reliable source)

look at the percentage of deaths attributed to 'homicide by law enforcement  - that equates to more than one per day, and not a small sample size - that is just fucking horrific !

can a poplulation just become immune to this sort of behaviour when it is quite literally an everyday occurrence ?

i'm genuinely shocked at this

image.png.e8424290e6b34c2a7991aeb1bb839c5a.png

4 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

can a poplulation just become immune to this sort of behaviour when it is quite literally an everyday occurrence ?

Some of the tolerance comes from the police having to deal with the gun culture and gang violence of the US. They also have had a lot of trouble from crack then meth being drugs of choice. It is also a much more rural country than many other western countries so there is a kind of mentality of their cities being almost foreign and crime riddled to many of them. 

On top of that there is a broad support for violence in general in things like "stand your ground" legislation in many states. 

This is part of an explanation, but its not an excuse. 

26 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I had a whole conversation with a guy about that, it was fucking unreal. White guy from rural New York state who just kept saying 'they've had 150 years of freedom to sort their shit out but no they like living in poverty'. Any attempt to explain what structural racism was just met a brick wall. I'm certain he'll have voted for Trump.

A good way to out secret proponents of eugenics is to bring up the wildly disproportionate incarceration rate of black males in the States.

DeRayne is a c**t, TBF.

Edit: whether you think he's funny or not, Romesh Ranganathan had a nice story about how his first name is actually Jonathan, as his Sri Lankan parents thought he'd have a better chance of finding work with an English name. Because a racist employer would see the name Jonathan Ranganathan and think, "stout English fellow, let's get him in"  :lol:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

6 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I read an article by a journalist returning to the UK after many years in the USA who said American police are best treated and reacted to like an occupying army which always stuck with me.

...that's a bit extreme, it's not like they are flying a predator drone over the city or anything like that....

Edited by Mackie The Staggie
attached the wrong twitter link like an idiot

8 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

I transited in the twin city airport 5 years ago. Could have been me.

In all seriousness, Trump coming out with - “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” probably won’t help matters.

Las Vegas?

It’s fairly shocking that the police are allowed to kneel on your neck in that state and that even when you tell them you’re dying they don’t give a f**k. 

I do wonder where America will end up. A concern is that the Tory c***s who are in charge of us look up to America.