George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

3 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Called in the military to clear the street so he can have a photo opportunity? That's what they just reported.

It’s what he did. Watching it on CNN live.

So just to be clear the supposed leader of the free world has just used US troops to attack peaceful US protesters so he could walk to a church to get his picture taken. 

Utterly unbelievable. 

The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility.

56 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility.

Boston tea party, Stonewall riots, poll tax riots, Freddie Grey riots in Baltimore, reforms after the 1968 Paris riots, 1968 Chicago DNC riot... and that's just off the top of my head. It's better not to make declarative statements without doing some research first.

Of course rioting is usually reactionary, it's what happens when enough people have been pissed off more than they can bear.

Though in the vast majority of cases in the US right now it's not the protestors who are rioting - it's the police. 

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It would be interesting to find out who came up with the idea for them to do it.

Did any football club bother to mark Rwanda slaughter or Martin Luther king day? Liverpool have a long history of grief junky behaviour alongside Celtic and it actually encourages confrontation with other teams and fans. If it was any other side then I would say it’s a bit strange but because it’s Liverpool then to me it’s a bit hypocritical after the Suarez incident.

You can’t say that teams should stop marking the war dead then scream moron at others when they point out hypocrisy from Liverpool.

Dont want to argue or upset anyone but that’s how I feel. There’s a minutes silence or some sort of political agenda to support nearly every week at football grounds nowadays and it’s almost as if people are addicted to grief or showing support for some reason.

Theres been the anti racism red card thing for years now, everyone is aware of it. The American problem isn’t really a major issue here and I believe this is just a PR stunt by Liverpool and therefore is a bit sick and distasteful. To seek validation through the pain and suffering of others.

The Suarez incident was 9 years ago. Since then both the club chairman and Jamie Carragher have apologised to Patrice Evra and Carragher said:

"There is no doubt that we made a massive mistake. That was obvious... What I would say is that maybe I, as an individual, lacked the courage to say I wasn't wearing it. Because once the squad has decided... I have to look at myself. I didn't have enough courage. Maybe there were others. I don't think everybody within Liverpool thought that we were doing what was right. But as a family, as a football club, your first reaction - no matter what someone does - is to support them even if they are wrong. And that is wrong. I am not condoning it, but that is the first reaction. Apologies. We got it massively wrong."

So why are you still going on about it, and acting like it's part of something wider?

It's because you are prejudiced against people from Liverpool. You ascribe to them a set of tropes - over-emotional, grief junkies, violent, hypocrites, racists - and smear them all with it. You know who else did that? South Yorkshire Police.