George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I suggested playing the National Anthem because it would annoy folk who think taking the knee is a great idea/should be made mandatory and they would boo the NA, and it would annoy those who boo taking a knee as they wouldn't know whether to sing or boo.

Playing FoS would mean the knee booers wouldn't have to make a decision, of course. Nor the knee takers, either.

Well it's confused me. 

Boooooooo

I think 

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why should professional sports people be forced to bear the financial brunt of something that is not of their making? Politicians are the ones who have the power and responsibility to make systematic changes in society, not footballers.

Because they have incredible wealth, clearly care about the issue and can make a difference. We all have a moral responsibility to improve the lot of others where we can, raising awareness is only the first step they have done that now, whilst the issue is in the public spot light drive it home. I'm sure we all give to charity and good causes when our income allows and sadly the politicians in Westminster have an income tax system that doesn't tax at appropriate levels and is easily bypassed leaving it up to elected officials half of whom are unelected is daft.

53 minutes ago, 101 said:

Because they have incredible wealth, clearly care about the issue and can make a difference. We all have a moral responsibility to improve the lot of others where we can, raising awareness is only the first step they have done that now, whilst the issue is in the public spot light drive it home. I'm sure we all give to charity and good causes when our income allows and sadly the politicians in Westminster have an income tax system that doesn't tax at appropriate levels and is easily bypassed leaving it up to elected officials half of whom are unelected is daft.

That's just laughable though. We need footballers to step up because our government doesn't serve society the way it should?

The UK Cabinet ministers must have a collective wealth of hundreds of millions, if not billions of pounds. When are they handing back the £145K a year they take out of our pockets for a job shitely done?

Edited by The Moonster

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

That's just laughable though. We need footballers to step up because our government doesn't serve society the way it should?

The UK Cabinet ministers must have a collective wealth of hundreds of millions, if not billions of pounds. When are they handing back the £145K a year they take out of our pockets for a job shitely done?

I don't know if you have realised we are through the looking glass the country is fucked, we don't need footballers we need everyone to be involved in these mass movements but it's a bit much to ask normal folk who scrape by to chuck cash at the problem, I see no problem in asking the super rich to fling money at societies ills, I would of course prefer to see it done via taxation however if that's not the case pressure from the plebs on multi millionaires to get the finger out really doesn't seem that big an ask.

As for the UK cabinet yes all of them are incredibly wealthy they are also incredibly useless. I have never voted for a UK cabinet in my life and the sad fact is there is no recourse for them to be docked pay or donate their pay to a good cause at least the first minister here admits her pay is outrageous and donates 33% to charity. But I would hope if you had 500 footballers chucking a million pounds at something politicians would be a bit embarrassed but then again this is the Tory government who's policies kill people and yet get elected year after year. They are masters of turning normal people against each other and if anyone is waiting for them to do something then you'll be waiting a long fucking time.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I don't know if you have realised we are through the looking glass the country is fucked, we don't need footballers we need everyone to be involved in these mass movements but it's a bit much to ask normal folk who scrape by to chuck cash at the problem, I see no problem in asking the super rich to fling money at societies ills, I would of course prefer to see it done via taxation however if that's not the case pressure from the plebs on multi millionaires to get the finger out really doesn't seem that big an ask.

As for the UK cabinet yes all of them are incredibly wealthy they are also incredibly useless. I have never voted for a UK cabinet in my life and the sad fact is there is no recourse for them to be docked pay or donate their pay to a good cause at least the first minister here admits her pay is outrageous and donates 33% to charity. But I would hope if you had 500 footballers chucking a million pounds at something politicians would be a bit embarrassed but then again this is the Tory government who's policies kill people and yet get elected year after year. They are masters of turning normal people against each other and if anyone is waiting for them to do something then you'll be waiting a long fucking time.

But you're trying to piss on a fire that you'll never put out, because the fuel for the fire is allowing such a useless government to continue.

It's dreadful that we've reached a point where people think footballers are responsible for equality.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's dreadful that we've reached a point where people think footballers are responsible for equality.

In a society were the rich and famous are held above everyone else then of course the rich and famous are incredibly important, perhaps more so even that the decision makers, in making Britain a more equal society. In fact footballers are probably a more interesting case because not only can they effect politics in the UK if footballers refused to play for or against Man City because of their alignment to the UAE then it would perhaps change things in the UK and in UAE.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

In a society were the rich and famous are held above everyone else then of course the rich and famous are incredibly important, perhaps more so even that the decision makers

I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but that is absolute pish. 

Fair play to qpr who have came out and said they'll take the knee tomorrow night against Millwall.

Previously qpr had made the point of stopping taking the knee because they felt it was becoming tokenistic (a point that i had some sympathy for). But Warburton has came out and announced the change in light of the weekend's incident.

A great decision, and I hope all the teams keep doing it more than ever now.

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

In a society were the rich and famous are held above everyone else then of course the rich and famous are incredibly important, perhaps more so even that the decision makers, in making Britain a more equal society. In fact footballers are probably a more interesting case because not only can they effect politics in the UK if footballers refused to play for or against Man City because of their alignment to the UAE then it would perhaps change things in the UK and in UAE.

I don't expect footballers to be experts in the nuances of international relations anymore than social policy and policing.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but that is absolute pish. 

You live in a country that has to ask celebrities to get a vaccine because no one trusts politicians, wake up and smell the coffee. JK Rowling has had her career ended for being a TERF where as Lord Maginnis has been suspended for 18 months for his homophobic abuse. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't expect footballers to be experts in the nuances of international relations anymore than social policy and policing.

I wouldn't either but everyone has responsibility to know where the money that pays them comes from and either be at ease with it or not take the coin, especially people who have the financial stability to make that call. I would have sympathy if you were in poverty and had to take all the work you could.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

You live in a country that has to ask celebrities to get a vaccine because no one trusts politicians, wake up and smell the coffee. JK Rowling has had her career ended for being a TERF where as Lord Maginnis has been suspended for 18 months for his homophobic abuse. 

I know where I live. Those points on Rowling or Maginnis don't go against anything I've said. You're of the opinion that this is the way things are so rich people need to step in. I'm of the opinion that the way things are isn't good enough and we should fix that before reaching out to people who kick a ball for a living to make sure everyone's equal.

And JK Rowling ended her own career by being an abhorrent c**t, society isn't at fault there.

33 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Fair play to qpr who have came out and said they'll take the knee tomorrow night against Millwall.

Previously qpr had made the point of stopping taking the knee because they felt it was becoming tokenistic (a point that i had some sympathy for). But Warburton has came out and announced the change in light of the weekend's incident.

A great decision, and I hope all the teams keep doing it more than ever now.

When did Warburton find his principles?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

But you're trying to piss on a fire that you'll never put out, because the fuel for the fire is allowing such a useless government to continue.

They aren't responsible for it, but by wearing rainbow laces etc they might, just might change a few backward views. 

That must be a good thing? 

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know where I live. Those points on Rowling or Maginnis don't go against anything I've said. You're of the opinion that this is the way things are so rich people need to step in. I'm of the opinion that the way things are isn't good enough and we should fix that before reaching out to people who kick a ball for a living to make sure everyone's equal.

And JK Rowling ended her own career by being an abhorrent c**t, society isn't at fault there.

You said it was "utter pish" that the rich and famous are held higher than decision makers. I've given you similar examples where the rich woman will never work in the public domain again and the decision maker keeps his job after he attends a training course.

I'm of the opinion it's up to all of us to make people's lot better and those with more resources should rightly do more than people who have limited resources.

5 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

They aren't responsible for it, but by wearing rainbow laces etc they might, just might change a few backward views. 

That must be a good thing? 

Absolutely. Anything footballers can do to raise awareness is a good thing but 101 appears to be expecting them to come forward with their personal wealth to sort problems our politicians can't or have avoided doing.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

You said it was "utter pish" that the rich and famous are held higher than decision makers. I've given you similar examples where the rich woman will never work in the public domain again and the decision maker keeps his job after he attends a training course.

I'm of the opinion it's up to all of us to make people's lot better and those with more resources should rightly do more than people who have limited resources.

You said they were more important than decision makers. They aren't. 

I'd rather footballers were allowed to advertise whatever cause they like instead of just SFA, UEFA and FIFA approved commercial sponsors on the T-shirts they wear under their tops, or being forced to back whatever cause is trendy and decided to be acceptable by the big yins at the time. I'd love it if they all show their support for BLM, but being dragooned into it in a regimented fashion is phony and meaningless to me. Imagine if they wore T-shirts with Sheku Bayoh's image printed on them, wonder what the reaction from the SFA would be then..

Edited by welshbairn