George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

44 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The article I read said it was a non-cash bond - I guess this means providing some asset as a guarantee such as a property.

Ah, fair enough. Could be his house then I suppose. Heard on the radio his family had tried to get a GoFundMe going for the bail payment and only raised $4k.

I'm not sure I'd give up my house to avoid 6 months of jail.

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Ah, fair enough. Could be his house then I suppose. Heard on the radio his family had tried to get a GoFundMe going for the bail payment and only raised $4k.

I'm not sure I'd give up my house to avoid 6 months of jail.

Especially considering he'll be spending a far bit of time there soon enough anyway - best get his feet under the table now.

I haven't seen countryfile in years. Do they still have a mandatory section for "Britain's fastest growing outdoor pursuit". They had some utter shite on that. I remember seeing bog snorkeling and grown ups doing some sort of downhill skateboarding on a massive board with tyres. Cuntyfile. 

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

There's a good character on Bellamy's People played by Felix Dexter as a rich country gentleman that observes the whiteness of rural UK life.

It's obvious why there's less racial diversity in the countryside though. It's because the past 200 years especially have been a time of massive urbanisation. Where people have migrated both within and between countries they tended to migrate to cities. 

I expect that the lack of diversity is a cause rather than an effect of racist attitudes in rural areas. 

I know it's been widely reported that ethnic minorities perceive that rural areas are more racist. It isn't clear that that is the case though.  My hunch is that countryfolk don't like people who ain't from round here so really won't like folk who look different. But both my hunch and the aforementioned perception could both be a result of ignorance and prejudice against six-toed yokels. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I haven't seen countryfile in years. Do they still have a mandatory section for "Britain's fastest growing outdoor pursuit". They had some utter shite on that. I remember seeing bog snorkeling and grown ups doing some sort of downhill skateboarding on a massive board with tyres. Cuntyfile. 

Think this gets featured every year, stupid bumpkins falling about.

10 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Think this gets featured every year, stupid bumpkins falling about.

First to the bottom or first to catch the cheese?

Looks like the kind of thing that a younger me would've done half cut tbf.

Maybe farms would have more diverse workplaces if they moved them to city centres where people live rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

Also: the second part of that video (starting at 0:34) is absolute gold, particularly that one in the Superman cape.

Edited by Gaz

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

Maybe farms would have more diverse workplaces if they moved them to city centres where people live rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

Also: the second part of that video (starting at 0:34) is absolute gold, particularly that one in the Superman cape.

Farms are extremely diverse. Lithuanians, Romanians, Slovakians, Bulgarians. Post Brexit there will be Filipinos, Bangladeshis and Cambodians as well. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Remember at the start of lockdown all the farmers said oh no we need people to pick the vegetables and called on British people to apply for these jobs then didn't budge when those British people reacted in horror at being asked to stay on site in a caravan.

If they set the right wages and conditions they would get the workers they need. 

On 08/10/2020 at 19:00, Detournement said:

If they set the right wages and conditions they would get the workers they need. 

Then the rest of us would complain about the cost of the produce.