George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Interested in peoples thoughts on this. You can read the article and what was said for yourselves but basically, Paulie Malignaggi gets binned from Showtime for comments which, I personally am not sure carry any sort of prejudice whatsoever. Not seen any particular outrage over it as yet and so it could be Showtime being on a hair trigger, but I don't think I am having this one.

https://www.ringtv.com/606259-paulie-malignaggi-permanently-removed-from-showtime-broadcast-team-over-race-comments/?fbclid=IwAR3f3G1DAQL2nUW58us0TAWrMWMiYNSSpk2bOYHU6-TN0MhMC_LGhPIymjk

I’ve just read that and I’m not really sure what he’s meant to have said. He’s certainly one of the best commentators in boxing and a likeable guy.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Interested in peoples thoughts on this. You can read the article and what was said for yourselves but basically, Paulie Malignaggi gets binned from Showtime for comments which, I personally am not sure carry any sort of prejudice whatsoever. Not seen any particular outrage over it as yet and so it could be Showtime being on a hair trigger, but I don't think I am having this one.

https://www.ringtv.com/606259-paulie-malignaggi-permanently-removed-from-showtime-broadcast-team-over-race-comments/?fbclid=IwAR3f3G1DAQL2nUW58us0TAWrMWMiYNSSpk2bOYHU6-TN0MhMC_LGhPIymjk

5 Live ran an interview with a (black) coach in the US the other day and he described how it's Hispanic or Latino kids that make up the bulk of the numbers in his gym. Not sure if Malignaggi is doing anything different (pointing out how different ethnic groups have had spells of prominence or preeminence in US boxing). Another 5 Live interview with (black) Anthony Yarde (UK boxer) described how the only overt racism he'd known of in boxing was from Scottish fans towards another black fighter but had never experienced any overt racism from within the boxing environment itself. 

I'd say that after Josh Taylor (the terrible convicted racist!), the best Scottish boxer is Kash Farooq. Born in Pakistan but a proper little Weegie. Only early in his career but could well be a world champ and a star in a couple of years. We've had the debate on here with football and how much nepotism goes on (which can inadvertently make it hard for anyone "different" to get along) but IMO boxing and boxing gyms are generally a safe space where those who are a bit "different" are welcomed and can flourish if they have the desire. 

A sub group of SAGE wrote a paper about the likelihood of rioting this summer.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/904677/S0578_SPI-B_Public_Disorder_and_Public_Health_-_Contemporary_Threats_and_Risks.pdf

Specifically mentions the extreme right wing/Loyalist element in Scotland as being a potential cause of disorder.

Report also says that some of the illegal raves and block parties have been arranged by organised crime to stimulate demand for drugs and that there is some “intersection with Black Lives Matter protests and ideologies”.

I wouldn’t be surprised at rioting in London, I was quite surprised there wasn’t any when the footage of the policeman kneeling on a suspect came out a few weeks ago. Maybe it’ll happen if he gets reinstated.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at rioting in London, I was quite surprised there wasn’t any when the footage of the policeman kneeling on a suspect came out a few weeks ago. Maybe it’ll happen if he gets reinstated.

I think someone has to actually die or be seriously injured before it will kick off.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

5 Live ran an interview with a (black) coach in the US the other day and he described how it's Hispanic or Latino kids that make up the bulk of the numbers in his gym. Not sure if Malignaggi is doing anything different (pointing out how different ethnic groups have had spells of prominence or preeminence in US boxing). Another 5 Live interview with (black) Anthony Yarde (UK boxer) described how the only overt racism he'd known of in boxing was from Scottish fans towards another black fighter but had never experienced any overt racism from within the boxing environment itself. 

I'd say that after Josh Taylor (the terrible convicted racist!), the best Scottish boxer is Kash Farooq. Born in Pakistan but a proper little Weegie. Only early in his career but could well be a world champ and a star in a couple of years. We've had the debate on here with football and how much nepotism goes on (which can inadvertently make it hard for anyone "different" to get along) but IMO boxing and boxing gyms are generally a safe space where those who are a bit "different" are welcomed and can flourish if they have the desire. 

I, like yourself hold a bit of a romanticized view of boxing based around the "all equals in the gym" idea, so I am glad to see others not seeing anything wrong with Malignaggis comments. This is despite the fact that I actually don't like Paulie all that much. 

His comments were in response to a comment directly about race from Devin Haney who said he would never lose to a white boy. Pointing out the increasing prevalence of top boxers from Eastern Europe are almost exclusively white might make that a foolhardy comment doesnt seem to be out of order. 

It's also been a topic of much discussion on most boxing forums for a long time now, where are all the young black athletes that used to form the elite of US boxing going, with a common theory that basketball and football are largely responsible for the dearth of talent in boxing in America especially at heavyweight. Theres a massive "yer da" element in the conversation about race that love to scream "you can't say anything these days" but being unable to discuss racial factors in this context seems ridiculous to me. 

Think Paulie’s comments just come down to him saying species which is obviously a bit daft but nothing a quick apology wouldn’t sort especially since it’s likely just a slip of the tongue more than anything else. Is there any genuine outrage or is it just Showtime shiting themselves?

Think Paulie’s comments just come down to him saying species which is obviously a bit daft but nothing a quick apology wouldn’t sort especially since it’s likely just a slip of the tongue more than anything else. Is there any genuine outrage or is it just Showtime shiting themselves?
Companies need to have a wee bit more common sense with these things. They have to investigate properly, and get to the heart of the issue before issuing ultimatums.

I'm guessing he never apologised because he's adamant that he's not racist. He's used a clumsy phrase, but there has to be a solution here without blowing things out of proportion.

Generally, when the right-wing get outraged over someone getting fired after making racist comments; I counter with "He embarrassed his employers. Thousands of people lose their jobs for much less than that, many through no fault of their own." If I'm feeling particularly long-winded, I'll recount my own experience of being laid off so an executive could receive a massive bonus for "making the numbers look good."

However having read the article, I can't see a damn thing wrong with what was said. I would imagine any boxing historian would say the same and it's silly, and dangerous to force people not to acknowledge the facts. As @Shandon Par says above; if there's one field where people can succeed irrelevant of race, it's boxing and a simple study of the top boxers over the years confirm the truth of Paulie's comments. The use of "species" was perhaps unfortunate but in the context, it's hard to see any malice behind it.

Purely speculating here but I wonder if there's perhaps more to this than we know. The speech itself wasn't the issue so much as the last straw in a series of unpublicised incidents? I've personally known people get fired only after they have a long list of disciplinary warnings but the other employees being unaware of the backstory are upset because "all he did was...and they fired him!"

The other thing here, and the article doesnt make the context of where and how the discussion came up clear, but Paulie was giving a response to a specific comment by Haney which was definitely racial in nature. How could he avoid the subject of race in responding to what Haney said? I think he navigated pretty well in all honesty.