George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm not sure people ever could.

There an interview with Warren Mitchell where someone congratulates him for having a go at the blacks and he has to explain it for them.

No matter how well intentioned the writing, if some folk are tuning in just to laugh at wog jokes you have to question it.

It's a bit like the pub landlord which was started to ridicule little Englander attitudes and ends up being a huge success because Brexiteers get to come and laugh at jokes about the Krauts and frogs guilt free.

I'm not saying the answer is to ban everything (apart from Al Murray he really is shit) but to say you are actually lampooning racism whilst black kids get the hard end of it in school the next day isn't enough.

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think the problem with shows like that, and to some extent Little Britain, is that whatever the intention of the writers, it ultimately heavily depends on the audience being able to tell the difference. 

I think for every person laughing at the racist or homophobic character, there is probably another one not getting the joke and laughing along with them at the funny bigoted comments they are making. These ideas are just reinforced and legitimised because they are on TV, and people think that they aren’t the only ones thinking these things, so they must have a point.

Both reasonable points of view. I really can't add much more than in my view Garnett was good well observed parody and Love they Neighbour wasnt. How do you cater to a mass market where perceptions will vary.

Eg. I was telling a mate about This Country, which is a brilliant reflection of that part of England and the characters found there. My mate said he didn't like it "they were thick" and he didn't think I'd like such a basic programme. He only saw it as two thick teenagers talking rubbish.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Nothing to see here just a spot of racist hate speech from old Nigel.

Since when did Farage's "history, culture and religion" relate to Baptists in New York State? 

What a prize fud. 

34 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"BLM aim to destroy our history, culture, religion and pave the way for a Marxist takeover."

Sounds fucking awesome

Did his best bud Trump not say pretty much this in his 4th July speech? Just following orders in spreading the hate.

14 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Since when did Farage's "history, culture and religion" relate to Baptists in New York State? 

What a prize fud. 

He is a prize fud but this is far more sinister than that and I don’t know if I’ve seen so much dangerous hate speech rolled into one post.

He’s basically saying - these people over here are coming after your beliefs and traditions and are a great risk to your very way of life and your government are allowing it to happen so you need to do something about it yourself. You usually see these things dangled in front of you in the sun or the daily mail but it’s never as clear cut as that and it’s really quite concerning he hasn’t been given a suspension for it. Maybe I’m overreacting though.

"BLM aim to destroy our history, culture, religion and pave the way for a Marxist takeover"

Farage is a clown, but if that is classed as 'hate speech' thn we are well and truly gubbed.

On 07/07/2020 at 11:49, hk blues said:

How about Porridge where Ronnie Barker constantly ripped the piss out of Fulton MacKay being Scottish?

23 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I thought that was hilarious. Do you think some might have found it offensive?

Offensive? As any other stereotype, some might take offence, but most would just see it as more just lazy comedy shorthand.

I must say, though, having spent over two decades locking up criminals in Englandshire, being referred to as Mr McKay got old pretty damn quick. Not offensive, just boring.

29 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

"BLM aim to destroy our history, culture, religion and pave the way for a Marxist takeover"

Farage is a clown, but if that is classed as 'hate speech' thn we are well and truly gubbed.

No, if such as yourself look at that and don't see a problem with it, we are well and truly gubbed.

28 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Offensive? As any other stereotype, some might take offence, but most would just see it as more just lazy comedy shorthand.

I must say, though, having spent over two decades locking up criminals in Englandshire, being referred to as Mr McKay got old pretty damn quick. Not offensive, just boring.

I guess I can understand why some of the humour in Porridge might have been lost on you, Mr McKay. 

Something occurred to me as I read about the case of the Olympic athlete and the stop and search thing.

See no matter what gets done, protests, high profile policy changes, whatever....

I hope I am wrong but see throughout all of this and byond in the UK and the US especially, Police officers at all levels in their briefings are still going to be getting whispered into their ear, in veiled language or clear, "black people commit more crimes".

There will be someone at a high level looking at stats, refusing to acknowledge that they have a part to play in moving society forward and just saying, this is how it is, react accordingly.

Quite a depressing thought, but it seems so obvious that it will be the case.

1 hour ago, Mr Waldo said:

I don’t know how blatant you want it to be. The BLM movement was started because black people felt they were being disproportionately singled out by the police in the US. Whether you agree with what they stand for and if it is relevant in the U.K. or not is another matter but to say they are grouping together and coming after everything we stand for ie our history, culture and religion is simply false and is spreading hatred. He also uses a clip from America in his tweet which has little relevance to what is going on in the U.K. and he says the media need to wake up to which is going to encourage people to spread his message of hate and take matters into their own hands. He is a c**t.

I'm not entirely convinced that the blm movement was created solely for racism issues and feel that they're divisive and that they are somewhat immune to criticism because it leads to more division and labelling of people.

Still stand on my points that wanting equality of outcome isn't a long term fix and is quite dangerous and divisive in its thinking.

To me the issue lies in poverty and equal chance of opportunity. This is harder to fix and will take time. Will also state that farage is using this for his own agenda as before with immigration.

I really don't want to say much more or get into arguements but I feel that the issue isn't as straight forward and easy to fix as people make out. I do feel that wanting equality of outcome is pretty insulting and simplyfying an entire race or group of people as the same. Sounds a bit racist to me.

Feel like the entire discussion of 'are you sure this is the right way?' gets shut down straight away despite proof that it hasn't worked for decades.

Example

Diversity within the american police force, its still corrupt and full of racism and black people are treated badly and unfairly.

So what's the answer?

I dunno, maybe try and help communities out of poverty through education and removing drugs and gang culture?

The police are there for a reason and that needs changed.

Removing the police would be a nightmare for these communities.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

I'm not entirely convinced that the blm movement was created solely for racism issues and feel that they're divisive and that are somewhat immune to criticism because it leads to more division and labelling of people.
Still stand on my points that wanting equality of outcome isn't a long term fix and is quite dangerous and divisive in its thinking.
To me the issue lies in poverty and equal chance of opportunity. This is harder to fix and will take time. Will also state that farage is using this for his own agenda as before with immigration.
I really don't want to say much more or get into arguements but I feel that the issue isn't as straight forward and easy to fix as people make out. I do feel that wanting equality of outcome is pretty insulting and simplyfying an entire race or group of people as the same. Sounds a bit racist to me.

Feel like the entire discussion of 'are you sure this is the right way?' gets shut down straight away despite proof that it hasn't worked for decades.

Example
Diversity within the american police force, its still corrupt and full of racism and black people are treated badly and unfairly.
So what's the answer?
I dunno, maybe try and help communities out of poverty through education and removing drugs and gang culture?
The police are there for a reason and that needs changed.
Removing the police would be a nightmare for these communities.

Absolutely gobsmacked that no one has thought to try this so far. 

Absolutely gobsmacked that no one has thought to try this so far. 
Would really need to ask someone from the poorest black neighbourhoods in america what they thought of this to get a real answer tbh.
Politicians would say they have but I'm pretty sure drug, murder and crime rates will have gone up.
Fix this, offer a way out that's achievable.

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Would really need to ask someone from the poorest black neighbourhoods in america what they thought of this to get a real answer tbh.
Politicians would say they have but I'm pretty sure drug, murder and crime rates will have gone up.
Fix this, offer a way out that's achievable.

Mate, I know you're genuinely trying to engage with the issue. And it's important to find ways of countering structural racism more than anything else, of course. But all of the things you have mentioned have been attempted, for decades. They haven't worked because many, if not most, institutions in the USA are a part of structural racism. So the argument is in order to counter this, you have to remake those institutions (by, for example, defunding and reforming the police). People don't want to be "offered a way out" of their community, they want their community to have services, dignity and to be safe. At the moment, much of the government does not do this.

And I'm sorry, but saying BLM are immune from criticism is nonsense. They are frequently criticised across the media by people from many different sides.