Highland Capital

George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Black people, a great bunch of lads.

Old woman outside the White House “it’s not the blacks, it’s the Chinese he’s after”.

8 hours ago, 101 said:

I despair that the international community haven't really called the US out more, if this level of state violence was seen in the middle east, Africa or Asia there would be serious international condemnation

That's not how being a vassal state works.

I tend to think that if a police officer killed a suspect of a different ethnicity in the middle east, Asia or Africa precisely no British person on social media would give a f**k.

Edited by The OP

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

You know that's a fairly moronic thing to say right?

More moronic than saying racism is a sideshow to police brutality in the US?

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

I tend to think that if a police officer killed a suspect of a different ethnicity in the middle east, Asia or Africa precisely no British person on social media would give a f**k.

Maybe we hold ‘Western democracies’ to a higher standard.  Is that wrong?

I recall the protests during the Apartheid era, that was an African country; people were genuinely disgusted by what was happening.  Pity we don’t have the same disgust towards Israel.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

More moronic than saying racism is a sideshow to police brutality in the US?

Yes.

In hindsight, I would have chosen different wording but I've explained what I meant by it.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe we hold ‘Western democracies’ to a higher standard.  Is that wrong?

I recall the protests during the Apartheid era, that was an African country; people were genuinely disgusted by what was happening.  Pity we don’t have the same disgust towards Israel.

Wasn’t offering a commentary, just musing on the point that the international condemnation would be higher if this wasn’t occurring in America.

5 minutes ago, The OP said:

That's a wee shame that you think this is a clever point.

5 minutes ago, The OP said:

I think if i viewed a similar video from another country I'd feel the same way,  that Minnesota policeman deserves a long jail term.

Although the police seem to have lost the plot in a few cities judging by the videos, the levels of violence towards absolutely everyone from the Minneapolis police is insane. I don't see how they can have any credibility at all with the local population after this.

Can you just disband an entire city's police force and start again?

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

That's a wee shame that you think this is a clever point.

It’s a truth.

33 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Are you aiming to be the most predictable poster on P&B?

If consistently calling out moronic statements makes me predictable, then yes. 

8 minutes ago, The OP said:

There was a fair bit of criticism of Israel when they were taking potshots at people in wheelchairs and nurses in the Gaza fence protests.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

It’s a truth.

Of course it’s a truth, but there is also many valid reasons why that would be the case, most notably that the US is seen, rightly or wrongly, as our biggest ally. 

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

Of course it’s a truth, but there is also many valid reasons why that would be the case, most notably that the US is seen, rightly or wrongly, as our biggest ally. 

Yes I understand all that, was just musing on the wrongness of the specific point H_B had quoted. I do see some people on FB and Twitter really acting like they live in America though and greeting about the state of the world right now when shady shit goes on against marginalised people every day.

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

If consistently calling out moronic statements makes me predictable, then yes. 

Would be more powerful with clapping emojis IMO.

Edited by Gordon EF

Yes I understand all that, was just musing on the wrongness of the specific point H_B had quoted. I do see some people on FB and Twitter really acting like they live in America though and greeting about the state of the world right now when shady shit goes on against marginalised people every day.
It's probably more relevant as we have a fucking hapless clown of a PM who seems to want us to be another US state.

Quality bit of virtue signalling from Jadon Sancho in the Dortmund game.