Jump to content
Highland Capital

George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Recommended Posts

Black people comprise 12% of the US population.
16C2C828-AE51-4591-92EA-A147C330CB83.thumb.png.2b13286dd5375ae33fb5a91e61902768.png
Yes, I'm aware of these figures. I think we'd all acknowledge there are some serious problems in the US and that historic and systemic racism are built into these problems.

An extremely unproductive but common destination for these types of discussions is that people who broadly agree on the first paragraph get stuck in an argument which is essentially "what proportion of the problem is racism".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It’s not  the only factor but to call it a bit of a sideshow is disingenuous.
How is it disingenuous? You can think it's wrong but it's what I think.

The fact that police in the US can and have callously murdered many people and gotten away with it is the central problem. This is what allows racist police officers to murder black people.

A solution to this problem is not police officers murdering people in proportion to the demographic breakdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

How is it disingenuous? You can think it's wrong but it's what I think.

Alrighty then.

Racism is a sideshow to all of these protests.

Fucking hell. Have you seen any news from the states in the 4 (or 50) years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Im having a "bennett's life matter's" protest today.

 

Who is with me [email protected] 

A few years back they had a 'million man march' to DC to protest.

 

This could be the one man march.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A few years back they had a 'million man march' to DC to protest.

 

This could be the one man march.

Still be more popular than Grimbo’s pub crawl. That was social distancing well before anyone had even heard of it. Ahead of his time, that boy was.

 

ETA: Beaten to it by the mushroom supper eating deviant. c**t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Incredible
 


That is truly fuckin mental there is clearly no hint of any disturbance in this street yes the aggression in the men’s voices shows exactly what the protesters are up against.
Firing live rounds at a house for f**k all is incredible serious and whoever did it, or gave the order for it should be looking at significant jail time but I suspect it will get lost in the big sea of everything seen this week.
They can’t let it simmer down or it’s clearly just going to happen again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:


A solution to this problem is not police officers murdering people in proportion to the demographic breakdown.

I don't even think the libs are advocating for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Alrighty then.

Racism is a sideshow to all of these protests.

Fucking hell. Have you seen any news from the states in the 4 (or 50) years?

I didn't say race is a sideshow to the protests. Race is clearly the main focus of the protests.

The racial element is to some extent a sideshow in the issue of police violence in the States. Because I think the main issue is the unacceptable level of lethal violence used by the police against the public in America. The disproportionate nature of that violence in terms of race is important but is not the main issue, for me. If that's the issue that's focused on, to the detriment of all else, I think that's a mistake.

Edited by Gordon EF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't even think the libs are advocating for this

Well no, clearly nobody is advocating for that. But it's the logical conclusion if someone thinks the main issue with police violence in the US is the racially imbalanced nature of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The disproportionate nature of that violence in terms of race is important but is not the main issue, for me. If that's the issue that's focused on, I think that's a mistake.

“I agree that black people should be treated better, but surely everyone should be treated better, the hashtag #alllivesmatter would surely be much better, no?” type post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Well no, clearly nobody is advocating for that. But it's the logical conclusion if someone thinks the main issue with police violence in the US is the racially imbalanced nature of it. 

You should probably just quit while you're behind, m8. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

“I agree that black people should be treated better, but surely everyone should be treated better, the hashtag #alllivesmatter would surely be much better, no?” type post. 

Are you aiming to be the most predictable poster on P&B?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I didn't say race is a sideshow to the protests. Race is clearly the main focus of the protests.

The racial element is to some extent a sideshow in the issue of police violence in the States. Because I think the main issue is the unacceptable level of lethal violence used by the police against the public in America. The disproportionate nature of that violence in terms of race is important but is not the main issue, for me. If that's the issue that's focused on, I think that's a mistake.

He's trolling and not being serious, usually he'll carry on for a day or two then get bored.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I didn't say race is a sideshow to the protests. Race is clearly the main focus of the protests.

The racial element is to some extent a sideshow in the issue of police violence in the States.

I really isn’t a sideshow  where police brutality is involved, particularly in the US. 
 

That’s a classic deflection Gordon and I think you know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

“I agree that black people should be treated better, but surely everyone should be treated better, the hashtag #alllivesmatter would surely be much better, no?” type post. 

He’s one step away from “it’s ok to be white” here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Remember last week when people were scared of Covid? -

 

 

Apart from the absurdity of them protesting in the uk, did the covid 19 pandemic slip their minds.....

 

Back to full lockdown in a few weeks then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I really isn’t a sideshow  where police brutality is involved, particularly in the US. 
 

That’s a classic deflection Gordon and I think you know that.

Maybe it is, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not stubborn enough not to accept that or question what I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He’s one step away from “it’s ok to be white” here.

You know that's a fairly moronic thing to say right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...