George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure Hunter S Thompson wrote a piece not long before he died about a girl who accepted a lift from somebody who ended up stopping at a store and robbing it, and shooting somebody. She was done for murder. Can't find any trace of it though.

Lisl Auman.

Convicted and sentenced to life without parole for the murder of a cop, which someone else committed while she was in police custody. Thompson was instrumental in getting her conviction overturned but she spent several years banged up.

You can read details of the case here: 
Murderpedia

TLDR:
A friend of a friend, one Mattheus Jaehnig drove her to the place she was living with an abusive boyfriend so she could get her stuff back. Other residents called the cops to report a burglary, and as Jaehnig turned out to be a drug crazed lunatic, this ultimately led to a high speed chase. At one point Prince Charming was leaning out of the car window, shooting at the cops and Auman apparently had hold of the wheel. They were eventually cornered at an Apartment building in Denver where Auman was arrested. She was in the back of a police car when Jaehnig shot and killed a cop before committing suicide.

Although this happened before I moved to Colorado, the whole thing kicked off just a few miles from where I live.

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Lisl Auman.

Convicted and sentenced to life without parole for the murder of a cop, which someone else committed while she was in police custody. Thompson was instrumental in getting her conviction overturned but she spent several years banged up.

You can read details of the case here: 
Murderpedia

TLDR:
A friend of a friend, one Mattheus Jaehnig drove her to the place she was living with an abusive boyfriend so she could get her stuff back. Other residents called the cops to report a burglary, and as Jaehnig turned out to be a drug crazed lunatic, this ultimately led to a high speed chase. At one point Prince Charming was leaning out of the car window, shooting at the cops and Auman apparently had hold of the wheel. They were eventually cornered at an Apartment building in Denver where Auman was arrested. She was in the back of a police car when Jaehnig shot and killed a cop before committing suicide.

Although this happened before I moved to Colorado, the whole thing kicked off just a few miles from where I live.

Thanks for that, my marbles haven't totally gone then..:1eye

19 hours ago, velo army said:

@19QOS19 was it "The Innocence Project"? I deliberately avoided that as it looked heartbreaking.

No wasn't that. There's that many documentaries on Netflix that I've totally forgotten. It was one of the ones where each episode is a new story. 

There's every chance it was in fact a British one but I could have sworn it was America. 

Being a wheelchair-using, double-amputee cuts no ice with Huntington Park Police Dept.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/31/anthony-lowe-police-killing-amputee-huntington-park

"A southern California police department is facing national backlash after footage revealed that officers fatally shot a double amputee and wheelchair user who appeared to be hobbling away on the ground before he was killed."

The victim described the attacker as a Black man in a wheelchair who “dismounted the wheelchair, ran to the victim without provocation, and stabbed him in the side of the chest with a 12” butcher knife” and then fled the scene in his wheelchair.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/31/us/california-double-amputee-anthony-lowe-killed-by-police/index.html

giphy.gif

On 31/01/2023 at 16:44, Brother Blades said:

Saw some rumours online that one of the police sent a picture of Tyre after he’d been beaten up to his (cops) ex girlfriend, apparently she & Tyre worked together & rumours of a relationship, it would explain why the Scorpion unit were in the neighbourhood they were in (relatively affluent & low crime) if it was a case of targeting Tyre. 
Could all be a load of absolute bullshit of course & I don’t want to come across all @detourment. 

Probably bullshit, according to the family anyway..

How an unproven rumour about Tyre Nichols fits a larger victim-blaming pattern

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

With the groups promoting this, victim blaming.

But it seems the rumours started in the community itself and then spread to other groups later - I'm doubtful if they (the local community)  would be victim blaming.  

9 hours ago, hk blues said:

But it seems the rumours started in the community itself and then spread to other groups later - I'm doubtful if they (the local community)  would be victim blaming.  

The rumours most certainly started with the police, not the community. In all these police violence cases, the police, especially the unions, are out front trashing the person shot pre-emptively.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wouldn't think shagging a cops ex-girlfriend would seriously damage someone's reputation, neither would it excuse the murder, rather it could make it premeditated.

Yea, it was a strange move, but it certainly seems it was a police rumour based upon a number of people in the community stating where it came from. Probably from the involved officers rather than the union in this case, but you can never tell after the first couple of rounds of the rumours. Failing that, my guess would be internet sleuths seeing two FedEx employees.

On 04/02/2023 at 22:34, TxRover said:

The rumours most certainly started with the police, not the community. In all these police violence cases, the police, especially the unions, are out front trashing the person shot pre-emptively.

Not what the posted article says though.  

• 9 months later...