George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

5 minutes ago, Binos said:

What an idiotic thing to say 

Unfortunately not. People are long past accepting this shit and I don’t blame them. Chicago shovels $2bn per year at CPD who’ve been on soft strike since the judge had the temerity to give Officer Jason Van Dyke a whole 6 years for emptying 16 bullets into Laquan McDonald, 10 of which were into his back when he was face down on the ground. The Blue Lives Matter crew are silent. The NRA are yet to defend the rights of lawful gun owner Philando Castile. It’s the predictability of this shit that makes it all the more enraging. 

27 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Unfortunately not. People are long past accepting this shit and I don’t blame them. Chicago shovels $2bn per year at CPD who’ve been on soft strike since the judge had the temerity to give Officer Jason Van Dyke a whole 6 years for emptying 16 bullets into Laquan McDonald, 10 of which were into his back when he was face down on the ground. The Blue Lives Matter crew are silent. The NRA are yet to defend the rights of lawful gun owner Philando Castile. It’s the predictability of this shit that makes it all the more enraging. 

You going to be doing some rioting too

Absolutely harrowing to see someone's last moments like that. The c***s taking shots each to have freebies at the laddies head ffs. Absolute fucking animals who should never be released for abusing a postion of power like that. 

Imagine that being your last moments, or having to live through this as his family with that footage out there knowing how he was tortured like that. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff. 

57 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Absolutely harrowing to see someone's last moments like that. The c***s taking shots each to have freebies at the laddies head ffs. Absolute fucking animals who should never be released for abusing a postion of power like that. 

Imagine that being your last moments, or having to live through this as his family with that footage out there knowing how he was tortured like that. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff. 

Unfortunately he spent 20 minutes after the beating propped up against a police car without any assistance, was finally seem by EMS, transported and spent 3 days in a hospital bed (in critical condition) before he died from organ failure related to the beating. That was far from his last minutes, and even that savage beating would not necessarily been fatal If he’d been given basic medical care immediately. Second degree murder isn’t enough after what I’ve just seen.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Not totally relevant but the footage seems to just show 2 cops throwing punches and the others holding the poor guy up - I imagine this will be used in the defence of at least some of the cops to get a lighter sentence for them.  I've no idea if there is other footage and what it shows - the stuff I've seen doesn't actually show anything related to the actual beating itself.  

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not totally relevant but the footage seems to just show 2 cops throwing punches and the others holding the poor guy up - I imagine this will be used in the defence of at least some of the cops to get a lighter sentence for them.  I've no idea if there is other footage and what it shows - the stuff I've seen doesn't actually show anything related to the actual beating itself.  

I haven't watched the footage and I don't intend to, but I did see at least one of them has been charged with kidnap, so that may be the ones who were quite literally holding Nichols against his will. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

I haven't watched the footage and I don't intend to, but I did see at least one of them has been charged with kidnap, so that may be the ones who were quite literally holding Nichols against his will. 

It looks like 2 holding him up and another 2 taking punches - 1 more than the other - so likely you're right although I can't see why only 1 would be charged with kidnap based on this footage so assume there is other stuff around.  

Sad to say there's not that much in the footage we haven't seen before.  

The problem with many police officers, and it certainly used to be the case here (though less so, now), is that the people attracted to these positions are often bullies. I have heard several accounts from people arrested in the 1970s and '80s, in Scotland, who got a kicking off the police. It's almost cliched to hear of folk who got a doing in the back of the police van before being released.

I'm sure most folk on here will have heard of the Stanford Prison Experiment, it was even made into a film:

The sad truth is, the power that comes with authority, and the ability to detain and 'restrain' folk will often be abused. This is more so if there is a prevailing culture that turns a blind eye to it.

Also, one should remember - though this is in no way excusing errant police officers - that they deal with the most violent and sometimes downright psychopathic people in society every day, so even the most well-intentioned may become very cynical. Of course, they also deal with a lot of vulnerable people - the mentally ill, the homeless, those addicted to drink and drugs, etc.

Some old coppers I have worked with have justified being violent in the past, by claiming that they arrest the same wrong 'uns all the time, and because of the high standard of proof required they cannot secure a conviction, or they get a 'slap on the wrist'. So giving them a good kicking was seen as a way of punishing them. I'm sure a lot of people would be only too happy to turn a blind eye to such behaviour if the recipient of the violence was a sex offender, or such like. 

Anyway, I have gone off on a tangent. But ultimately what I'm saying is what sort of people would be attracted to an occupation - especially in America, with shows like Cops, and where you can routinely carry a gun, baton and tazer? What motivates someone to want to do that? 

My experience with the police has taught me to be polite and even subservient to them. I'm sure some will scoff at that, but these people do have power and I'm sure some of them are just itching to abuse it. 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

It looks like 2 holding him up and another 2 taking punches - 1 more than the other - so likely you're right although I can't see why only 1 would be charged with kidnap based on this footage so assume there is other stuff around.  

Sad to say there's not that much in the footage we haven't seen before.  

Two guys holding him / had been trying to arrest him 1 big guy starts full force lamping him, another standing nearby

Any time you full force punch someone in the face, especially if you're a massive c**t you're running the risk of killing them 

Police are thugs, thugs hired to control thugs,  same all over the world 

4 minutes ago, Binos said:

Two guys holding him / had been trying to arrest him 1 big guy starts full force lamping him, another standing nearby

Any time you full force punch someone in the face, especially if you're a massive c**t you're running the risk of killing them 

Police are thugs, thugs hired to control thugs,  same all over the world 

At the start of the video one of the cops took a slug and then seemed to be hanging back thereafter while the other big guy took another few punches - the other 2 didn't appear to throw any punches. What we don't know is what came before and after that particular clip.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

At the start of the video one of the cops took a slug and then seemed to be hanging back thereafter while the other big guy took another few punches - the other 2 didn't appear to throw any punches. What we don't know is what came before and after that particular clip.  

Agreed 

Not planning watching more but first viewing looked no way worse than Rodney King,  that was night sticks whilst on the ground for sustained period 

However poor guy died but as say if you're 6 3 and built like a tank punches to someone head can easily kill them 

I was shocked to see on the news that there are 1100+ fatalities per year in USA caused by police offers. One problem is that there are 18000 different authorities and little “joined up” standards or procedures. I hadn’t a clue about the scale of this problem and it seems thugs in uniform and brutal force is rife. 

In any normal society, you’d rip up the system and start again.

Someone mentioned the 80s - guy I knew was a burglar. Bit of a druggie (hash mostly), no job and robbed houses to get money. For a while I was crashing at a squat with him and others. He was lifted repeatedly but always seemed to get community service and fines - which he robbed more houses to get the money to pay off. He wasn't a bad guy, he just didn't have a problem with burglary. Great guitarist, he used to play in pubs for a few quid here and there. Taught me a few chords and stuff. Anyway, one night the police had enough. They smashed down the front door of the squat, told the rest of us to f**k off then jammed both of his hands in a door frame and broke all his fingers by slamming the door repeatedly on them. Laughed and said he'd never play guitar again. He went to a lawyer who came back and said the Police story was he got his hands caught in a door by accident as he was resisting arrest. 

8 minutes ago, deegee said:

I was shocked to see on the news that there are 1100+ fatalities per year in USA caused by police offers. One problem is that there are 18000 different authorities and little “joined up” standards or procedures. I hadn’t a clue about the scale of this problem and it seems thugs in uniform and brutal force is rife. 

In any normal society, you’d rip up the system and start again.

You would just ban gun ownership and that number would instantly reduce to a bare minimum