George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

29 minutes ago, velo army said:

I fucking yawned when I read that.

I was sad.

The BLM protests were inspiring and it ended up with a bunch of chancers stealing millions of dollars and buying a mansion to make TikToks in. From MLK, Malcolm X and Rosa Parks to these chancers, it's sad.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I was sad.

The BLM protests were inspiring and it ended up with a bunch of chancers stealing millions of dollars and buying a mansion to make TikToks in. From MLK, Malcolm X and Rosa Parks to these chancers, it's sad.

I meant reading the word "yawn" made me yawn. I didn't click the link. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I was sad.

Money changes everything, I’m afraid.

Human nature.

• 4 months later...
On 07/04/2022 at 23:33, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Lol just seen this.

The fact check is that there is no proof that a college lecturer from a low income background used funds from the unregistered charity she is running which has never released any financial records to buy $4 million dollars in property, outright, in cash. Ok. 

54 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Lol just seen this.

The fact check is that there is no proof that a college lecturer from a low income background used funds from the unregistered charity she is running which has never released any financial records to buy $4 million dollars in property, outright, in cash. Ok. 

It does cover the book deal, production deal and public speaking engagements which constitute an alternate hypothesis  to her having had her hands directly in the BLM till.

of course there would still be ethical questions about indirectly profiting from outwardly altruistic activity like the bands who resurrected their careers at live aid or corporate greenwashing but I feel neither qualified or interested enough to address them

• 2 months later...

Recently went to our local museum and my youngest and I took in the fairly good quality art galleries.

One of the exhibits was an installation that sort of blended in with the displays of ethnic teapots and the like to start off with. It was like a spiral corridor made with screens. On the way in there was a load of raw coffee, tea cocoa and sugar loafs in a cabinet.
Go around a bit and there’s a video showing different young black girls, about the same age as my daughter. I’m thinking that I’ve got this, it’s about child labour in African commodity plantations.

Around to the centre of the spiral and there’s a sort of cage arrangement. Up the top there’s a dangling thing with feathers and crystals. Beneath it there’s a hollow thin wire outline of a girl, about my daughters size, seemingly reaching up to touch the dangly thing with her finger.

We thought that was the end of that bit and went into the next room. I was explaining to my daughter that she was lucky to grow up here and not work in fields etc. 

Then there was a massive old oil portrait, of a fat man with an old style wig, britches, all that, in a big flouncy frame, with that frame framed by and partially enclosed in a big wooden packing crate. Beside a model of a ship with rows and rows of people crammed in it. I recognised the name on the portrait (Thomas Picton) as being our local part of the statues controversy. 

Obviously it all started to slot into place. I explained to my puzzled daughter that he was a bad man who did that to people in real life so that’s why his picture was in a crate. 

The kicker was on the way out. There was a small display cabinet with an old notebook in it. There was a title plate saying “an account of the beating of a slave girl”. On the page opposite the writing there was a sketch of a young girl in exactly the pose of the wire figure, except clearly suspended by her finger, in a cage, being beaten. My daughter (who is mixed race by the way) asked “what does it say daddy?” and I just couldn’t tell her. I actually burst into tears and still find it difficult to understand.

TL/Dr - The statue shaggers should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Don’t just bin those statues though, put them in context. 

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Recently went to our local museum and my youngest and I took in the fairly good quality art galleries.

One of the exhibits was an installation that sort of blended in with the displays of ethnic teapots and the like to start off with. It was like a spiral corridor made with screens. On the way in there was a load of raw coffee, tea cocoa and sugar loafs in a cabinet.
Go around a bit and there’s a video showing different young black girls, about the same age as my daughter. I’m thinking that I’ve got this, it’s about child labour in African commodity plantations.

Around to the centre of the spiral and there’s a sort of cage arrangement. Up the top there’s a dangling thing with feathers and crystals. Beneath it there’s a hollow thin wire outline of a girl, about my daughters size, seemingly reaching up to touch the dangly thing with her finger.

We thought that was the end of that bit and went into the next room. I was explaining to my daughter that she was lucky to grow up here and not work in fields etc. 

Then there was a massive old oil portrait, of a fat man with an old style wig, britches, all that, in a big flouncy frame, with that frame framed by and partially enclosed in a big wooden packing crate. Beside a model of a ship with rows and rows of people crammed in it. I recognised the name on the portrait (Thomas Picton) as being our local part of the statues controversy. 

Obviously it all started to slot into place. I explained to my puzzled daughter that he was a bad man who did that to people in real life so that’s why his picture was in a crate. 

The kicker was on the way out. There was a small display cabinet with an old notebook in it. There was a title plate saying “an account of the beating of a slave girl”. On the page opposite the writing there was a sketch of a young girl in exactly the pose of the wire figure, except clearly suspended by her finger, in a cage, being beaten. My daughter (who is mixed race by the way) asked “what does it say daddy?” and I just couldn’t tell her. I actually burst into tears and still find it difficult to understand.

TL/Dr - The statue shaggers should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Don’t just bin those statues though, put them in context. 

And that’s exactly the beauty of context added to the history we all “know”. Deliver that gut punch by clearly linking things you were taught to the things that have been swept under the rug and ignored for too long. It’s like the lynching memorial at The Legacy Museum in Montgomery, Alabama. The sheer impact of the place, the size and numbers involved, make it impossible to deny or ignore the real truth.

For those interested: https://museumandmemorial.eji.org

• 2 months later...

Five police officers have been charged with murder after the death of a motorist at a traffic stop.

Footage of the stop is going to be released tonight and officials across the US M, all the way up to Biden, have pre-emptively appealed for calm. I’ve never seen so many appeals for calm - this video must be very bad indeed.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Five police officers have been charged with murder after the death of a motorist at a traffic stop.

Footage of the stop is going to be released tonight and officials across the US M, all the way up to Biden, have pre-emptively appealed for calm. I’ve never seen so many appeals for calm - this video must be very bad indeed.

The FBI and Police Chief in Memphis both reported it as much worse than Rodney King. It’s going to get ugly, if it’s that bad, appeals won’t stop everything…and much as I hate it, I understand the feelings of some of those that do get worked up. There are plenty who do it for the kicks, but the treatment of the average black male in the U.S. is pretty frustrating…and this was five black officers from a special task force!