George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think a few folk have got Patel really mixed up.....

Honestly I might have skimmed some of this, but I am genuinely not seeing the outrage.

I already said similar to him, that the more I read about the case the more it became apparent he wpuld be found not guilty, and that whilst that fact is abhorrent to me, its quite literally what the Americans want, and actually deify in their nonsense constitution.

Up until last week there were STILL media outlets here claiming Rittenhouse shot black protestors. It turns out, and I was as wrong as everyone else, the facts reported to us here by most of the media for this case were a fucking shambles and when they came to be tested against actual law (American law, abhorrent to me personally) they were found pathetically wanting.

America to Britain is basically as bad as Saudi Arabia as far as what they will legally allow, so just fucking stop reporting American pantomine like it is in some way relevant to us here because they are Western/White Christian.

Americans are fucking worstcunts and they will fight to the death to defend their right to be so. Leave them to it.

Kyle Rittenhouse was tried under the laws of their lands, and those laws allow guns to taken into the streets and used in self defence. Its really that simple.

I don't think people have Patel mixed up. I think most people accept that it can be argued he acted within the law, what I see on here from most is a frustration that the laws are the way they are to allow this sort of scenario. And more importantly, this all started when Patel said he felt sorry for the wee gun toting w****r and hoped he had a good life, it was then pointed out how ridiculous it was to believe a Tucker Carlson staged interview, for which Carlson has paid a lot of money. Patel has then tried to play dumb in respect of that stuff, which IMO says a lot about his actual feelings here. 

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think people have Patel mixed up. I think most people accept that it can be argued he acted within the law, what I see on here from most is a frustration that the laws are the way they are to allow this sort of scenario. And more importantly, this all started when Patel said he felt sorry for the wee gun toting w****r and hoped he had a good life, it was then pointed out how ridiculous it was to believe a Tucker Carlson staged interview, for which Carlson has paid a lot of money. Patel has then tried to play dumb in respect of that stuff, which IMO says a lot about his actual feelings here. 

So basically we disagree with moral aspects of American society that are actually enshrined in their laws is what this comes down to.

We should invade and get some regime change in.  It's a strategy that's worked well for us in the recent past.

I saw some American lawyer lady on the telly saying that if this had been in California or New York the self-defence test would have been a much higher bar and he'd probably be in jail. 

I don't know much about Wisconsin but i get the impression it's a wee bit yokelly and gunny. Maybe not representative of the whole US. 

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I saw some American lawyer lady on the telly saying that if this had been in California or New York the self-defence test would have been a much higher bar and he'd probably be in jail. 

I don't know much about Wisconsin but i get the impression it's a wee bit yokelly and gunny. Maybe not representative of the whole US. 

New York and California have strict gun laws so that the minority populations don't arm themselves. California brought in gun control as a direct response to the Black Panther Party. 

https://www.history.com/news/black-panthers-gun-control-nra-support-mulford-act

Even the NRA supported gun control when inner city black Americans started doing open carry. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

New York and California have strict gun laws so that the minority populations don't arm themselves. California brought in gun control as a direct response to the Black Panther Party. 

https://www.history.com/news/black-panthers-gun-control-nra-support-mulford-act

Even the NRA supported gun control when inner city black Americans started doing open carry. 

I don't know if it was the gun laws that were the difference- she was talking about the onus of proof for self defence. 

But that's really interesting stuff. I know little of American history.

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think it's more that he watched all the incredibly stage managed sympathy shite Rittenhouse did and said he felt for him. He's got the same brainpower as the people that yelled at Sergeant Slaughter for disrespecting the American flag.

What I said was:

- I thought the American gun culture was bizzare, scary, insane;

- I thought Rittenhouse was a p***k, self-important, liked to posture, naive, couldn't handle himself, and cowardly;

- I didn't think he deserved life without parole for the above features;

- I thought he was capable of change since he was young;

- I hoped that these events would teach him a lesson and he would go on to have a quiet life, out of the limelight, avoiding gun rights and other right-wing issues.

And in respect of the last bullet point...

37 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Kyle Rittenhouse and Donald Trump meet at Mar-a-Lago after acquittal

For f**k's sake, he is apparently still a p***k.

(And fwiw, since you claimed the opposite, I said all of the above immediately after the verdict and before the Tucker Carlson interview was even announced)

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I don't know if it was the gun laws that were the difference- she was talking about the onus of proof for self defence. 

But that's really interesting stuff. I know little of American history.

Yes, each state has different self-defence laws. The video @Thistle_do_nicely posted above gives a good summation of the issues. One such issue relates to whether you tried to retreat before defending yourself. In many states, there is a requirement to exhaust all avenues of retreat. In Wisconsin, that requirement only exists if you are shown to have "started the fight". No juror has yet spoken about their rationale, but I think most observers would say the evidence doesn't show - at least in legal terms - that Rittenhouse "started the fight". 

Interestingly, given that self-defence was going to be an issue even if the state succeeded on the possession charge, I believe that you can still claim self-defence even if the weapon is illegal. So, in theory, America could have a blanket ban on guns, but you would still be allowed to use a gun to defend yourself from a threat to your life.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/24/us/ahmaud-arbery-killing-trial-wednesday-jury-deliberations/index.html

Something we can all agree on this that these three scumbags better got found guilty of the most serious charges.

It looks like the article has been updated in the last few minutes and they have all been found guilty on all* counts. I haven't listened to the trial but from the article it sounds like that's the right decision.

*actually one count for the second defendant and three counts for the third defendant were not guilty.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That's good news.

The defence were absolutely vile

Wtfffff.

The face of the third defendant before his verdicts but after hearing the first two defendants found guilty on all but one count...

image.thumb.png.59b5cfb704c61270788736b98555f275.png

Verdicts here:

Happy that justice will be done for Arbery, still scary to think that a lot of muricans think it's perfectly fine to chase down random black dudes and kill them for looking a bit suspicions (ie Black). 

The face on the clean shaven redneck when his guilty verdict was read out is delicious.  Young bearded redneck and old bearded redneck also looked suitably sad