George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

I am answering the questions raised, not defending myself, as I am comfortable with my position and comfortable with people calling me names:

- on the Fox film crew, it was part of the deal with the people who provided him with bail money. 

- on the Tucker Carlson interview, ditto. I have watched the interview though and I thought it was fine. I obviously fast forwarded the bits at the start and finish where Tucker Carlson was speaking. 

- he hasn't as far as I have seen engaged with any right wing overtures that weren't a preexisting contractual requirement to get him out of jail. 

- on the above photograph. It's fucked, and I can't imagine how he ended up taking that without knowing what the sign meant. So, perhaps I am wrong, and he is a racist and/or right-wing nut. I say perhaps because prosecutors and the FBI searched his phone and social media records and didn't find any other evidence, and as noted above he has not apparently engaged with right-wing overtures in the few days that have passed so far, so there is evidence to support both positions. But it's a damming photo, for sure, and he may be a c.unt. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

51 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s ok though. She’s black.

Not just black. American too. And feels bad for Rittenhouse (though I haven't taken her opinion since that Proud Boys photo started circulating). Not online and hasn't binned me but keep your fingers crossed. 

7 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

- on the above photograph. It's fucked, and I can't imagine how he ended up taking that without knowing what the sign meant. So, perhaps I am wrong, and he is a racist and/or right-wing nut. I say maybe because prosecutors and the FBI searched his phone and social media records and didn't find any other evidence, and as noted above he has not apparently engaged with right-wing overtures in the few days that have passed so far. 

You're doing a hell of a lot of lifting for this young chap.

Why is it you want to believe a staged and scripted interview on a TV show which is known for it's "loose" reporting of facts, and one which is known across America (perhaps the world) as having a right wing agenda, but you're happy to conclude that a photo of him doing a white supremacy sign (when he knows he isn't on National TV) might not be representative of his views?

14 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I am answering the questions raised, not defending myself, as I am comfortable with my position and comfortable with people calling me names:

- on the Fox film crew, it was part of the deal with the people who provided him with bail money. 

- on the Tucker Carlson interview, ditto. I have watched the interview though and I thought it was fine. I obviously fast forwarded the bits at the start and finish where Tucker Carlson was speaking. 

- he hasn't as far as I have seen engaged with any right wing overtures that weren't a preexisting contractual requirement to get him out of jail. 

- on the above photograph. It's fucked, and I can't imagine how he ended up taking that without knowing what the sign meant. So, perhaps I am wrong, and he is a racist and/or right-wing nut. I say perhaps because prosecutors and the FBI searched his phone and social media records and didn't find any other evidence, and as noted above he has not apparently engaged with right-wing overtures in the few days that have passed so far, so there is evidence to support both positions. But it's a damming photo, for sure, and he may be a c.unt. 

Which formerly banned poster have we here? 

20 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Not just black. American too. And feels bad for Rittenhouse (though I haven't taken her opinion since that Proud Boys photo started circulating). Not online and hasn't binned me but keep your fingers crossed. 

Holy f**k. 😆

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You're doing a hell of a lot of lifting for this young chap.

Why is it you want to believe a staged and scripted interview on a TV show which is known for it's "loose" reporting of facts, and one which is known across America (perhaps the world) as having a right wing agenda, but you're happy to conclude that a photo of him doing a white supremacy sign (when he knows he isn't on National TV) might not be representative of his views?

The TV interview was pretty much entirely recounting facts which were stipulated by the prosecution in the trial. Just FYI. The only part of it which was "new" information was him saying he supports BLM and the protest movement. I find that part believable because it seems entirely against the Tucker Carlson narrative and not what I would expect them to want him to say, and not what other right-wing cause celebres come out and say after their days in court. Admittedly, I hadn't really considered it might be scripted, as I don't know much about Tucker Carlson except he seems like a dick, and have no info to suggest they script their interviews so no reason to suspect it. 

The reason I am willing to consider it might not be representative of his views is because none of the other facts line up and I judge things in context.

33 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

The TV interview was pretty much entirely recounting facts which were stipulated by the prosecution in the trial. Just FYI. The only part of it which was "new" information was him saying he supports BLM and the protest movement. I find that part believable because it seems entirely against the Tucker Carlson narrative and not what I would expect them to want him to say, and not what other right-wing cause celebres come out and say after their days in court. Admittedly, I hadn't really considered it might be scripted, as I don't know much about Tucker Carlson except he seems like a dick, and have no info to suggest they script their interviews so no reason to suspect it. 

The reason I am willing to consider it might not be representative of his views is because none of the other facts line up and I judge things in context.

You're all over the shop here. You don't know anything about Tucker and his shows but you know they wouldn't want Rittenhouse to say he supports BLM, and that fact alone means you can believe Rittenhouse? And you're a lawyer?

In what context would a person who doesn't believe in white supremacy take photos with other white supremacists and do white power signs? Was he just cornered by these white supremacists and he thought "if I just pretend I'm a total scumbag too they'll leave me alone"? 

49 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I don't know much about Tucker Carlson except he seems like a dick

Tucker Carlson is a racist, homophobic, misogynist and a serial liar. To the point that even his right-wing colleagues at Fox can't stomach him.

51 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

and have no info to suggest they script their interviews so no reason to suspect it. 

Now you have.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You're all over the shop here. You don't know anything about Tucker and his shows but you know they wouldn't want Rittenhouse to say he supports BLM, and that fact alone means you can believe Rittenhouse? And you're a lawyer?

In what context would a person who doesn't believe in white supremacy take photos with other white supremacists and do white power signs? Was he just cornered by these white supremacists and he thought "if I just pretend I'm a total scumbag too they'll leave me alone"? 

Aite... I will speak more precisely, counsel. I don't know anything about how the Tucker Carlson show is produced. I have only a perception based on limited clips I see on social media that he is a foaming at the mouth right-wing idiot who is not likely to willingly give a platform to pro-BLM content. I was also biased by my fear that Rittenhouse would come out with some horrific right-wing shit when I heard he was going on that show, which I think a lot of people suspected, including in this thread.

As for the second part, it is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances. For the avoidance of doubt, that does not mean I believe that there were, only that it is possible that there were. I believe that because in my experience life is precisely that messy.

16 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Aite... I will speak more precisely, counsel. I don't know anything about how the Tucker Carlson show is produced. I have only a perception based on limited clips I see on social media that he is a foaming at the mouth right-wing idiot who is not likely to willingly give a platform to pro-BLM content. I was also biased by my fear that Rittenhouse would come out with some horrific right-wing shit when I heard he was going on that show, which I think a lot of people suspected, including in this thread.

As for the second part, it is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances. For the avoidance of doubt, that does not mean I believe that there were, only that it is possible that there were. I believe that because in my experience life is precisely that messy.

Rittenhouse would've been mental to come out after the verdict and say "HAHA, got away with it, f**k BLM" and if you genuinely thought that was the reality you were about to face watching that interview then it's incredibly naïve. 

Again, the lifting you're doing for this kid says a lot.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances. For the avoidance of doubt, that does not mean I believe that there were, only that it is possible that there were.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he gave a white power salute while amongst a group of white supremacists.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he publicly declared he wished he had his AR-15 with him so he could shoot people.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he drove 20 miles to a BLM protest and armed himself with an AR-15.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he murdered 2 people and attempted to murder a 3rd.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he accepted a large sum money from a noted white supremacist.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he appeared as a guest on a TV show hosted by said noted white supremacist.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why the conservative judge at the trial was openly biased towards him.
It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why the extreme right-wing but few others are delighted at this verdict.

For the avoidance of doubt, that does not mean I believe that there were, only that it is possible that there were.

Oh, and I don't believe that the Liverpool fans robbed and pissed on the bodies of the dead at Hillsborough. Only that it is possible that they did.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Rittenhouse would've been mental to come out after the verdict and say "HAHA, got away with it, f**k BLM" and if you genuinely thought that was the reality you were about to face watching that interview then it's incredibly naïve. 

Again, the lifting you're doing for this kid says a lot.

Then, in your book, I am naive. I fully feared that he was going to be saying shit about the 2nd Amendment and that kind of thing. Even if he wished to keep his head down, I think if he was actually proper right wing, he would still have refrained from overtly saying he supports BLM. Right-wing Americans have an even less balanced view of BLM than right-wing English folk, for example. My general perception is that he had many lucrative offers  after the trial, for example internships with Senators, made by people who are overtly anti-BLM, and which at least would be jeopardised by him saying he supports the cause.

"I fully support BLM and it was only an unfortunate coincidence that I drove to one of their demonstrations and armed myself with an assault rifle after stating that I wished I could shoot people. Too bad those 3 people tried to disarm me and I had no choice but to kill 2 of them and try to kill a 3rd." <Fake tears> "Why, thank you very much for the wad of cash Mr. Carlson. You caught that I support BLM, right? Make sure that gets into the show."

Maybe it's time you took a break from this thread, eh?

15 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he gave a white power salute while amongst a group of white supremacists.

I did say this, yes ^.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he publicly declared he wished he had his AR-15 with him so he could shoot people.

I would assume all of us at some time or another have said in conversation with friends (which is where that happened) that if facts were different we would kill someone, without any intention to do it.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he drove 20 miles to a BLM protest and armed himself with an AR-15.

He didn't. He was already in the town having finished his shift as a lifeguard the previous day and slept over at his best mate's house. That's just fact.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he murdered 2 people and attempted to murder a 3rd.

Fine if you want to call it murder but it is also a fact that the only people that got shot were already attacking him.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he accepted a large sum money from a noted white supremacist.

Because he was in jail, his bail was $2 million, and the only people embracing him were conservatives. This one is so obvious ,man.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why he appeared as a guest on a TV show hosted by said noted white supremacist.

Because it was a contractual obligation in return for his bail money. Otherwise, he would have spent over a year waiting in a county jail before his trial. Again - this is just pure fact.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why the conservative judge at the trial was openly biased towards him.

He is not a conservative judge. He was appointed by a Democratic governor in 1983. Again - that's pure fact.

It is, for me, easy to conceive of the possibility there could be extenuating circumstances as to why the extreme right-wing but few others are delighted at this verdict.

Obviously because it has been framed in the media - from both sides - as being a right-wing cause. Everyone worldwide seems to think this was about an avowed white supremacist travelling a long-ass distance to commit unprovoked homicide against left-wing activists. So, of course, the right-wing are going to celebrate it. That doesn't mean their perception of it is accurate (which it isn't - as noted above).

For the avoidance of doubt, that does not mean I believe that there were, only that it is possible that there were.

Oh, and I don't believe that the Liverpool fans robbed and pissed on the bodies of the dead at Hillsborough. Only that it is possible that they did.

One photo aside, which of course raises questions, it just genuinely does not stand up to scrutiny. 

I would assume all of us at some time or another have said in conversation with friends (which is where that happened) that if facts were different we would kill someone, without any intention to do it.

The difference is that persumably, none of us have, within 15 days killed the very types people we said we wished we could kill.

16 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

He didn't. He was already in the town having finished his shift as a lifeguard the previous day and slept over at his best mate's house. That's just fact.

OK, fine. Take out the phrase "drove to" to and replace it with "went to". Careful you don't hurt your back with these contortions.

18 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Fine if you want to call it murder but it is also a fact that the only people that got shot were already attacking him.

He armed himself with an assault rifle and went looking for a fight. If you don't see that then "naive" isn't the word.

20 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Because he was in jail, his bail was $2 million, and the only people embracing him were conservatives.

Conservatives, white supremacists and right-wing extremists.

21 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Because it was a contractual obligation in return for his bail money

Ah, well that's OK then. Personally, I would rather spend time in prison than align myself with a sub-human c**t like Tucker Carlson but I suppose you and I have different values on that.

24 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

He is not a conservative judge. He was appointed by a Democratic governor in 1983.

And? Are you going to tell us he had Trump's campaign song as his mobile ring tone to show his support for Joe Biden?

26 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

One photo aside, which of course raises questions, it just genuinely does not stand up to scrutiny. 

Just an important piece of evidence which speaks to his character, political leanings and motivation. Or do you suppose after that photo was taken, he told the Proud Boys "By the way, I support BLM."?

7 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The difference is that persumably, none of us have, within 15 days killed the very types people we said we wished we could kill.

A fine point.

OK, fine. Take out the phrase "drove to" to and replace it with "went to". Careful you don't hurt your back with these contortions.

It is not a contortion. Driving somewhere with the specific intent of doing something, is very different to already being there for other purposes.

He armed himself with an assault rifle and went looking for a fight. If you don't see that then "naive" isn't the word.

There is no evidence he went looking for a fight. In fact, there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. For example, the first night he spent in the town when he stayed over at his mate's house, there were riots the same night and he didn't go out. Also, on the night he did go out, when the first deceased started on him, Rittenhouse tried to defuse the situation and then ran away, rather than jumping at the opportunity to shoot, as you might expect. These are facts.

Conservatives, white supremacists and right-wing extremists.

Ah, well that's OK then. Personally, I would rather spend time in prison than align myself with a sub-human c**t like Tucker Carlson but I suppose you and I have different values on that.

We do. If I was 17 and facing over a year in county jail, I would readily accept bail money from someone, even if I thought they were a c**t.

And? Are you going to tell us he had Trump's campaign song as his mobile ring tone to show his support for Joe Biden?

It's not Trump's campaign song. It does get played at Trump rallies. It is also one of the most well known songs in America. In a system where judges are political appointees, the fact a judge was a Democratic appointee is pretty good evidence they are not a conservative.

Just an important piece of evidence which speaks to his character, political leanings and motivation. Or do you suppose after that photo was taken, he told the Proud Boys "By the way, I support BLM."?

No, I doubt he did, and as you say it speaks to his character and political leanings. However, it is the only piece of evidence suggesting he leans right wing, despite a forensic investigation of his cell phone and social media accounts by the prosecuting authorities, and there is other contrary evidence. I choose to be rational and to view each piece of evidence in context.

35 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

It is not a contortion. Driving somewhere with the specific intent of doing something, is very different to already being there for other purposes.

He didn't wake up to find himself in the middle of the action. He made a point of going to the protest armed with an assault rifle.

20 miles or 1/2 a mile. Walked to, caught the bus to, hopped on one leg to...it makes no difference.