George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

Why have the England fans, elected I presume, someone thicker than shit to be their representative. 

I mean he's very representative but you would think they might want someone who can speak in sentences to be their rep.

He's actually the most intelligent and articulate England fan they could find.

He didn't lob a patio chair at any Tunisians or throw his own faeces or anything during that interview. 

Edited by Gordon EF

Just think, only a few more weeks until the same gammons will be howling with outrage over the “leftist” footballers who refuse to take part in a political event. 

Or are we going to pretend that poppyfest isn’t political?

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Just think, only a few more weeks until the same gammons will be howling with outrage over the “leftist” footballers who refuse to take part in a political event. 

Or are we going to pretend that poppyfest isn’t political?

The FAs of the UK do exactly that, along with all those frothing outrage when another body states this fact to them. 

There's absolutely an attitude of "No politics in football. But the stuff I agree with isn't politics cos obviously any right-minded person would agree with me and anyone who doesn't is a Marxist".

Do all these folk just use the term Marxist because Jordan Petersen does or is it wider than that?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

There's absolutely an attitude of "No politics in football. But the stuff I agree with isn't politics cos obviously any right-minded person would agree with me and anyone who doesn't is a Marxist".

Do all these folk just use the term Marxist because Jordan Petersen does or is it wider than that?

The "I just don't want politics in my sports" argument is imported wholesale from America without a shred of irony, Jordan B. Peterson's patter might as well be too.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I think it's used as an umbrella term.  

"I'd prefer staying in West Germany v East Germany: South Korea v North Korea, and these 'Marxists' want the opposite."

On 09/06/2021 at 02:28, TheJTS98 said:

I just don't think that's true.

Has anybody from the far right ever run a campaign against Show Racism The Red Card? I missed it if so.

How hard can it be for fitba to put its heads together and come up with something new and high-profile?

Of course the players 'want' to keep doing it. There's an appetite for an anti-racist message. That's good, but this one isn't working.

And, as I mentioned before, there's nothing sacred about the gesture itself. It's absolutely fine, in fact smart, to move on from something that isn't working to something else.

I don't think this is stimulating a conversation. It's just two camps agreeing with themselves, while the racists pretend it's about communism. I'm not sure what anybody thinks this is achieving in the movement against racism.

I think it is working, that's why there's pushback. Show Racism the Red Card has achieved absolutely nothing at all. It's the very definition of a tick-box exercise. But taking a knee is making shitty people uncomfortable, and that's how you know it's working. Men they idolise are standing together as one and putting on a show of contrition, submissiveness, supplication, whatever, to make their views clear. That sight is making all the right people squirm.

Rather than acknowledge why they're uncomfortable they deflect onto excuses, with the favourite being taking a knee isn't about racism, it's about a hard left agenda. I'd laugh, but people who should know better are giving breathing space to this idiocy.

Almost all of the anti-racism work done in the UK so far has been "ok you can be racist, it's a free country, can't have any thought police here, just don't do or say racist things in public." It hasn't stopped anyone from actually being racist, though maybe over time successive generations are a little less likely than their parents to hold racist opinions. A lot of activists say that all we've done is sweep racism under the carpet. They used to know who was racist and now they can't tell, but the prejudice and discrimination is still there. Some have said they preferred it when racists called them names because they knew the people who didn't do that were probably alright.

Worth noting, those who say they want to move on from it never suggest an alternative. They just want to stop being made to feel uncomfortable and they don't give a shit about tackling racism.

I think it is working, that's why there's pushback. Show Racism the Red Card has achieved absolutely nothing at all. It's the very definition of a tick-box exercise. But taking a knee is making shitty people uncomfortable, and that's how you know it's working. Men they idolise are standing together as one and putting on a show of contrition, submissiveness, supplication, whatever, to make their views clear. That sight is making all the right people squirm.
Rather than acknowledge why they're uncomfortable they deflect onto excuses, with the favourite being taking a knee isn't about racism, it's about a hard left agenda. I'd laugh, but people who should know better are giving breathing space to this idiocy.
Almost all of the anti-racism work done in the UK so far has been "ok you can be racist, it's a free country, can't have any thought police here, just don't do or say racist things in public." It hasn't stopped anyone from actually being racist, though maybe over time successive generations are a little less likely than their parents to hold racist opinions. A lot of activists say that all we've done is sweep racism under the carpet. They used to know who was racist and now they can't tell, but the prejudice and discrimination is still there. Some have said they preferred it when racists called them names because they knew the people who didn't do that were probably alright.
Worth noting, those who say they want to move on from it never suggest an alternative. They just want to stop being made to feel uncomfortable and they don't give a shit about tackling racism.
Well said, Sir.[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]