George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Going back to the case of Jean Charles de Menezes, it needs to be said again and again that he was murdered, the police smeared him, his family received no justice and the police promoted Cressida Dick to the top job in the country. 

The amount of right wing columnists and politicians that tried to shift blame away from the police in the immediate days afterwards was shameful (Littlejohn tried to claim he was another 'victim' of the terror attacks a few weeks previously, for example).

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

The US figure may be lower - https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2018/topic-pages/tables/table-85.xls

So 550,000 police for 250 million = 1 cop for every 454 people compared to 1 for every 319 in Scotland. 

Seems the FBI use different definitions of who counts as a law enforcement officer, this one counts it as 687000 and rising in 2018. The problem is there are so many separate policing bodies in the US. And the population figure I get is 328 million, so actually one cop for 477 people. But then they have another 450,000 in the National Guard to back them up, which would give a figure of one cop for every 288 citizens.

The FBI defines law enforcement officers as those who regularly carry a firearm and badge, have full arrest powers, and are paid from governmental funds specifically for sworn law enforcement representatives.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191694/number-of-law-enforcement-officers-in-the-us/

On 27/08/2020 at 20:03, Detournement said:

He wouldn't have ran away at first if he wasn't scared.

The 17 year old obviously had his mind poisoned by right wing culture. But you can't say that the three guys who got shot made smart decisions.

People, get shot ever day, kids, babies and some times if we;re lucky c***s like you.

Enjoy your day.

18 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Minor point here but even in the Jean Charles de Menezes incident - he did not jump the barrier. This is something which somehow made its way into the media in the hours after the shooting and has remained in the public consciousness but which is categorically false. He paid using an oyster card and went through the barriers normally. 

It’s not a minor point, it’s a very important part of the narrative and I was totally unaware that it was false.

I appreciate you correcting me.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s not a minor point, it’s a very important part of the narrative and I was totally unaware that it was false.

I appreciate you correcting me.

It's also worth pointing out that 20 witness testified that he jumped the barrier, a claim that was subsequently found to be incorrect via CCTV which confirms he didn't.

Quite why those 20 bootlickers were content to contribute to the framing of an innocent man instead of telling the truth is a mystery.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Seems the FBI use different definitions of who counts as a law enforcement officer, this one counts it as 687000 and rising in 2018. The problem is there are so many separate policing bodies in the US. And the population figure I get is 328 million, so actually one cop for 477 people. But then they have another 450,000 in the National Guard to back them up, which would give a figure of one cop for every 288 citizens.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191694/number-of-law-enforcement-officers-in-the-us/

Aye it varies but you can't use the National Guard in the figures if we're talking about day to day policing.  The FBI resource I saw didn't cover all areas, hence the lower population count but it's reasonable to assume that the other 78 million are policed at the same rate. 

So the picture is of a significantly smaller police force working in a far more violent society - their murder rate of 5.3 per 100,000 compares with 0.9 in Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It's also worth pointing out that 20 witness testified that he jumped the barrier, a claim that was subsequently found to be incorrect via CCTV which confirms he didn't.

Quite why those 20 bootlickers were content to contribute to the framing of an innocent man instead of telling the truth is a mystery.

IIRC witnesses were remembering seeing one of the plain clothes police officers who was wearing a padded jacket when he jumped the turnstile. 

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

IIRC witnesses were remembering seeing one of the plain clothes police officers who was wearing a padded jacket when he jumped the turnstile. 

That didn't come out until later.

At the time, witnesses who knew what de Menezes looked like (thanks to photos on the news etc.) swore blind it was him they'd seen jumping the turnstyle.

12 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That didn't come out until later.

At the time, witnesses who knew what de Menezes looked like (thanks to photos on the news etc.) swore blind it was him they'd seen jumping the turnstyle.

Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable, especially if they heard media reports of what was supposed to have happened. Stick them in separate rooms immediately after an incident and they'd still come up with different narratives. 

Edited by welshbairn

I was a witness in an attempted robbery with a knife that I got involved in stopping, thankfully he ran away, and was called up for an ID parade. Wasn't like on the telly, stood on top of the Brixton Tube Station escalator and I was supposed to pick him out from random commuters coming up, which I did. The cop asked me how I recognised him, said he looked like he'd spent a couple of nights in the cells. "For f**k sake, don't say that in court" was his comment. 

26 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Aye it varies but you can't use the National Guard in the figures if we're talking about day to day policing.  The FBI resource I saw didn't cover all areas, hence the lower population count but it's reasonable to assume that the other 78 million are policed at the same rate. 

So the picture is of a significantly smaller police force working in a far more violent society - their murder rate of 5.3 per 100,000 compares with 0.9 in Scotland. 

You can't compare murder rates in the western hemisphere to Europe. Hundreds of years of genocide and slavery have a continuing impact.

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Your signature should say Snake Mountain, not Castle Greyskull.

Nah, it's Castle Greyskull. That's what it's been known as for years, and even the BBC weather lady called it that. Aye, I know it was He-Man's abode, but it's been known as that for years now.

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It’s ok to shoot people if they take umbrage to the fact you are walking about with an assault rifle basically.

Victim blaming nonsense, but VL’s recognise VL’s I suppose. 

It's also fine if they start chasing you after you threaten them with said assault rifle, as they are now the aggressor.

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It’s ok to shoot people if they take umbrage to the fact you are walking about with an assault rifle basically.

Victim blaming nonsense, but VL’s recognise VL’s I suppose. 

Well apparently he extinguished a fire that had been lit in a bin, which annoyed the protesters, and who then acted aggressively. But aye, the lawyer seems to think he'll not be convicted of murder. I didn't offer an opinion, but stated I thought it was a good analysis.