George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Lads you're telling a black man how he should react to the N word being used. Take a step back and think for a minute.
I can assure you I'm not.

I said (and here's where reading for comprehension matters) that my initial look at the story was that the bbc were right and the complaints were overblown.

But the fact that a prominent black voice has resigned it's made the story a bigger one. It's made me think twice, as it should, and that's why i put it on here.

And btw, it was a black person who was pushing the bbc to use the full clip. So how does that sit with your overly-simplistic take?

Will be interesting to see what happens with this. He claims to have infiltrated ANTIFA in Portland a few days ago then turns up chucking pipe bombs about. 20 year Navy Seal and now some sort of private sector militia trainer. Odds on he goes full John Rambo.

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Lads you're telling a black man how he should react to the N word being used. Take a step back and think for a minute.

Until the unlikely day that people start calling me a white b*****d, I will hesitate to criticise anyone who takes offence at a clear racial slur. On that day I will take serious offence but it is not going to happen anytime soon & that is the problem in a nutshell.

Until the unlikely day that people start calling me a white b*****d, I will hesitate to criticise anyone who takes offence at a clear racial slur. On that day I will take serious offence but it is not going to happen anytime soon & that is the problem in a nutshell.
Eh?

Infamously the appropriately named Alan Minter said that he’d never lose his world title to a black man, just before he fought Marvin Hagler.

If you watch the end of the fight on YouTube it looks as if Hagler could have finished it a lot earlier but wanted to keep Minter propped up on the ropes so he could hit him some more.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Isn't segregating language, deciding who can say what according to race a racist endeavour in itself?

I find it hard to believe that people are still struggling with this. I've got a couple of disabled mates who call each other cripples in the way that we call each other c***s in a jovial way. They be rightfully furious if a fully abled person called either of them cripples. It's not rocket science. Black people using "n*****" is sarcastically laughing at racism, white people using it is racist pure and simple.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I find it hard to believe that people are still struggling with this. I've got a couple of disabled mates who call each other cripples in the way that we call each other c***s in a jovial way. They be rightfully furious if a fully abled person called either of them cripples. It's not rocket science. Black people using "n*****" is sarcastically laughing at racism, white people using it is racist pure and simple.

Which was the whole point of the news report, to emphasise that this was undoubtedly a racist attack. 

Just now, NewBornBairn said:

Which was the whole point of the news report, to emphasise that this was undoubtedly a racist attack. 

I was responding to your comment, not the news report which I haven't heard.

I wonder how many of the people who were claiming ‘All Lives Matter’ are also now the same outraged at the ‘invasion’ of the south coast of England by people just doing what Cummings did and following their parental instincts to try and look after their families.

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

What he said was "But the BBC sanctioning the N-word being said on national television by a white person is something I can't rock with."

Isn't segregating language, deciding who can say what according to race a racist endeavour in itself?

Yes mate, the ones saying white people can't say the N word are the real fascists 

😥

Is it banned in writing as well?

I teach with many racist sources, and there are classic books that contain it.

Are they not sanctioned at all now, even when being used to teach the importance and power of the word?
Is that 'the rule' then, that no matter what context, the word cannot be said out loud by someone who is not black?

The post I've quoted above shows some of the difficulties with that.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is that 'the rule' then, that no matter what context, the word cannot be said out loud by someone who is not black?

What is difficult about saying "the N word" if you end up in a situation where you're describing someone saying "n*gga/n*gger"? Please educate me on these "difficulties".

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Of course context is everything, James Ellroy writing the dialogue of 1950's LA cops without using the word would be ridiculous. I'm not going to comment on the radio piece as I haven't heard it. 

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Is it banned in writing as well?

I teach with many racist sources, and there are classic books that contain it.

Are they not sanctioned at all now, even when being used to teach the importance and power of the word?

This is honestly such a nonsensical bullshit post. It's a take that isn't nearly as half as clever as you think it is.

The BBC should have just bleeped the word out. There wouldn't have been any issue and it wouldn't have lessened the supposed "impact". But it gives the Joe Rogan pseuds and the Auld Das something to get up in arms about: "POLICING LANGUAGE? WHAT NEXT? IT'S LIKE NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR! ORWELL!"

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

As someone who is gay i can relate to this, we've took a a few derogatory words and completely turned them around.  Though in this particular case posted by Pandazilla it's a bit grey, with the family of the victim requesting that the word is used. 

12 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What are we thinking about the bbc's use of the n word in a news report, which has led to one of its bbc extra dj's resigning in protest..........

I originally thought the BBC were fine - I think they were going for the shock 'this is still happening' - but on reflection they under estimated their audience. I am pretty people would have understood 'a racial slur'.    If they'd called him a c#nt would they have said that?

I was not fully impressed with some comments about 'a white reporter'.  Would it have made a difference if the reporter was black?

I now think just do not say the word except when reading and teaching Huckleberry Finn, laughing with Richard Pryor and singing along to Oliver's Army, because, despite a recent Scottish Judge's comments, context does matter.

This is honestly such a nonsensical bullshit post. It's a take that isn't nearly as half as clever as you think it is.
The BBC should have just bleeped the word out. There wouldn't have been any issue and it wouldn't have lessened the supposed "impact". But it gives the Joe Rogan pseuds and the Auld Das something to get up in arms about: "POLICING LANGUAGE? WHAT NEXT? IT'S LIKE NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR! ORWELL!"
I'm not trying to be clever. I'm trying to get to the heart of the argument behind it, which allows folk to educate and out-argue the folk who are questioning 'the rules'.

If you think the initial reaction to my post is the way to go to improve society and educate people then i think you've lost the plot. Humans, by their nature, want to question everything.

Pointing and laughing, and trying to pretend that these questions can't be asked is a terrible tactic.

But maybe you don't want to actually improve the situation? Maybe you just want to be secure that you're on the 'right-on' side, no matter if things get better or worse.

As someone who is gay i can relate to this, we've took a a few derogatory words and completely turned them around.  Though in this particular case posted by Pandazilla it's a bit grey, with the family of the victim requesting that the word is used. 

I initially thought it was a direct social media clip of the attack that was being criticised (which i don't think it is now), as the initial thing i read (from the independent i think) - was unclear. It just said the family wanted it to be shown.

I'd like to hear more from the family, or from the guy who's resigned, about this issue. That's why i was posting it on here - as the articles linked by posters are often very good. I watched the resignation clip the dj released, but as i said in my initial post, he didn't deal with the reasoning or details of the case.

I might very well agree that the bbc were wrong here - as I'm not entirely sure how attacks like this should be reported. But the idea that you can't have that debate without the immediate ridicule is not a great look.