George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

If the governments own report can say that there was a " clear sectarian element " and the police say "known football hooligan elements"  in the Glasgow statue mob then why does the fuckin media keep up this " rival protest groups " shite ?

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

On 01/08/2020 at 07:09, MONKMAN said:

I’ve just read that and I’m not really sure what he’s meant to have said. He’s certainly one of the best commentators in boxing and a likeable guy.

Paulie is a likeable guy? Is there another Paulie I don't know of? 

What are we thinking about the bbc's use of the n word in a news report, which has led to one of its bbc extra dj's resigning in protest.

The news report related to a horrible, racially - motivated attack on a health worker. The victim's family made it clear to the bbc that they wanted the clip to be shown in full, to show the full horror of what had happened. The bbc did this, and put out warnings beforehand, but have been criticised. Complaints flooded in.

I'd have thought showing the use of the word on this context would be good for shedding light on just how racist some people can be? When i first saw the complaints i thought they were being overblown. The dj's resignation has created an even bigger story, as this guy is clearly an important voice for young black people.

I've seen the resignation clip, but he doesn't explain why he thinks the bbc were wrong to use the clip. He's just adamant that it should never be used, and doesn't mention the context.

Portland is Turmps experiment and it looks like it's going well I've not seen any global condemnation to his actions there but this video it a pretty strong reminder that the protests aren't over. Hopefully it won't take someone dying in Portland before the UN get involved.

Guest JTS98
8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What are we thinking about the bbc's use of the n word in a news report, which has led to one of its bbc extra dj's resigning in protest.

The news report related to a horrible, racially - motivated attack on a health worker. The victim's family made it clear to the bbc that they wanted the clip to be shown in full, to show the full horror of what had happened. The bbc did this, and put out warnings beforehand, but have been criticised. Complaints flooded in.

I'd have thought showing the use of the word on this context would be good for shedding light on just how racist some people can be? When i first saw the complaints i thought they were being overblown. The dj's resignation has created an even bigger story, as this guy is clearly an important voice for young black people.

I've seen the resignation clip, but he doesn't explain why he thinks the bbc were wrong to use the clip. He's just adamant that it should never be used, and doesn't mention the context.

I disagree with the complaints on this.

The people complaining seem to be going down a route where we just act as if the N-word doesn't exist. It was an important news story about a terrible event and the language used was in context and relevant to the story.  It was led in with a warning to viewers and it seems fair enough to me.

I'm not on board with the idea that the N-word can be used in rap music to make money, but not in a factual report about a racist attack.

Edited by JTS98

What he said was "But the BBC sanctioning the N-word being said on national television by a white person is something I can't rock with."

Isn't segregating language, deciding who can say what according to race a racist endeavour in itself?

Guest JTS98
9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

At it in what way? Take a wee second and read what I've posted. Read it carefully.

What have i said that makes you think I'm 'at it'?

There's a level of conditioning that some people will just see your post and never get past the 'RACIST' moment when they first encounter it. Don't stress, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your post or with not agreeing that the word can simply never be used. Lots of people will disagree with you though.

Guest JTS98
28 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

What he said was "But the BBC sanctioning the N-word being said on national television by a white person is something I can't rock with."

Isn't segregating language, deciding who can say what according to race a racist endeavour in itself?

It's undoing a lot of reasoned thinking to ever say that X is ok for this group to say but absolutely never for that group to say.

Context matters. Without wishing to sound harsh, it is not wrong for a white person to use the N-word in a factual context just because a black person/some black people feel like it is.

It would be entirely different had the word been used in a different context.

Edited by JTS98

There's a level of conditioning that some people will just see your post and never get past the 'RACIST' moment when they first encounter it. Don't stress, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your post or with not agreeing that the word can simply never be used. Lots of people will disagree with you though.
I'm not even advocating a position, at least not in any strong way, and I'm very willing to be won round.

I genuinely don't know the answer here, and I'm looking for some of the arguments put by both sides.

That's what makes the initial few responses to my post so hilarious. I was starting to wonder if i was becoming less left wing in my old age but this has shown me that some of posters on here proclaiming to fight for left wing values have literally nothing below the surface (anyone who reads my post and thinks I'm 'at it' is what I'm talking about here, are there are plenty of intelligent left wing posters).

It's just an empty 'point and shout 'bigot'' game.

And, for the avoidance of any doubt, I'd like to point out that I've always acknowledged the powerful idea of structural racism. Unconscious bias is a huge barrier but its not an easy one for society to address. This needs to happen, though, because they're are far too many stats that prove how damaging it can be for the bame community.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not even advocating a position, at least not in any strong way, and I'm very willing to be won round.

I genuinely don't know the answer here, and I'm looking for some of the arguments put by both sides.

1) That's what makes the initial few responses to my post so hilarious. I was starting to wonder if i was becoming less left wing in my old age but this has shown me that some of posters on here proclaiming to fight for left wing values have literally nothing below the surface (anyone who reads my post and thinks I'm 'at it' is what I'm talking about here, are there are plenty of intelligent left wing posters).

2) It's just an empty 'point and shout 'bigot'' game.

3) And, for the avoidance of any doubt, I'd like to point out that I've always acknowledged the powerful idea of structural racism. Unconscious bias is a huge barrier but its not an easy one for society to address. This needs to happen, though, because they're are far too many stats that prove how damaging it can be for the bame community.

1) People are just keen to be on the right side of arguments. And if you don't think an issue through clearly, it is very easy to simply see any questioning of the views of certain people as aggressively racist. You can't worry about someone else engaging with something on a surface level.

2) Absolutely. And the grim thing about that is that the people pointing and shouting for no reason generally don't understand how damaging it is to simplify genuinely nuanced issues.

3) There's no question structural racism exists. But the battles that need fought need to be selected carefully. Accurately reporting the circumstances of a crime on the news is not a racist act or an apology for racism. The explanations of those involved make that quite clear and should be respected.