George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I think some of it has aged poorly but they poked fun at unsaid racism throughout that show. The WI tea morning where one of them eats a cake, gets told its from an Ainsley Harriott recipe and violently pukes everywhere. The University secretary who can't describe a minority without resorting to the worst stereotypical description. It wasn't exactly a subtle show so it's not surprising some of it doesn't look great on second look. I don't think it was done with any malice, but I suppose that's not the issue.

Yeah the secretary was awful but the whole joke there was on her and how much of an ignoramus she was. Same went for the fat fighters woman who kept saying racist things every time the Indian woman spoke, it certainly wasn’t poking fun at Indian people it was a joke about boorish English speakers who struggle with other accents. Matt Lucas spoke about the only gay in the village character and related back to when he came out and nobody cared, he said it really bothered him that people were so understanding and he wanted people to give him more attention because of it and that’s where he got the idea of that character from. You could easily think it’s homophobic watching it back though. 

Don't have time to read the last few pages (sorry), but I noticed the subject of players of Asian descent came up. Over the years, When Saturday Comes have run a few decent articles about the reasons why the Asian community is under-represented on British football pitches. Not the one I was thinking of in particular, but a quick search brought this up from 1998, where it's quoted that 69% of club officials (presumably in England, but still) thought Asians were physically inferior, and 86% thought Asians were less talented than other racial groups.

Have any P&Bers ever answered a survey by stating that they consider certain races to be inherently inferior?

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

There was also Lou and Andy who were apparently poking fun at disabled people and implying people in wheelchairs were just pretending they couldn’t walk out of laziness.

Was it though or was it just implying that specific character was pretending he needed to be in a wheelchair when he needn't be in one. I really don't think they were saying all disabled folk are at it.

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Was it though or was it just implying that specific character was pretending he needed to be in a wheelchair when he needn't be in one. I really don't think they were saying all disabled folk are at it.

When i said “apparently” I meant these accusations are being thrown about by people on twitter who are lining up to have a go at David Walliams. 

21 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Don't have time to read the last few pages (sorry), but I noticed the subject of players of Asian descent came up. Over the years, When Saturday Comes have run a few decent articles about the reasons why the Asian community is under-represented on British football pitches. Not the one I was thinking of in particular, but a quick search brought this up from 1998, where it's quoted that 69% of club officials (presumably in England, but still) thought Asians were physically inferior, and 86% thought Asians were less talented than other racial groups.

Have any P&Bers ever answered a survey by stating that they consider certain races to be inherently inferior?

Well, Gordon Strachen said the Scots were inherently inferior. Does that count?

9 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

Well, Gordon Strachen said the Scots were inherently inferior. Does that count?

Seem to recall his old boss at Man U saying Scots were physically inferior to their English counterparts.

I take it most people have seen the Grange Hill clip doing the rounds that is a tiny bit racist? I genuinely thought it had to be a fake, but no. 

Here it is in all it's 1980s Britain glory:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I take it most people have seen the Grange Hill clip doing the rounds that is a tiny bit racist? I genuinely thought it had to be a fake, but no. 

Hide contents

Poor Benny, RIP.

I don’t fully understand it i think the answer is probably much more complex, yes football is not popular in india & pakistan for example but there populations are so huge you’d think their national teams could find 11 half decent players even at a minority sport.
Then theres also the relative large afro Caribbean representation in football , cricket was traditionally the number one sport in the British west indies and their diaspora yet england has had plenty players rise to the top and national teams in the Caribbean including the larger populations like Jamaica are full of granny rulers from England. So it can’t be a case of ‘ they’re shite cause no one likes it where they come from’
Long story short, asian nations where football is not number one are mostly pish at football, Asian diaspora living in football daft countries also don’t have much luck? What is it?

1 hour ago, throbber said:

When i said “apparently” I meant these accusations are being thrown about by people on twitter who are lining up to have a go at David Walliams. 

We’ve listened to the Walliams audiobooks. Other than Raj the corner shop guy being a bit stereotypical, I found his books look at difficult issues. Grampa’s great escape covers what is essentially a boy coping with loosing his grandpa to dementia, billionaire boy looks at materialism and love. One the others deals with domestic unrest and bullying. Both the older two have read Beast of Buckingham palace which......

10 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I don’t fully understand it i think the answer is probably much more complex, yes football is not popular in india & pakistan for example but there populations are so huge you’d think their national teams could find 11 half decent players even at a minority sport.
Then theres also the relative large afro Caribbean representation in football , cricket was traditionally the number one sport in the British west indies and their diaspora yet england has had plenty players rise to the top and national teams in the Caribbean including the larger populations like Jamaica are full of granny rulers from England. So it can’t be a case of ‘ they’re shite cause no one likes it where they come from’
Long story short, asian nations where football is not number one are mostly pish at football, Asian diaspora living in football daft countries also don’t have much luck? What is it?

A very simplistic answer is that black kids had role models who made the top of the game to aspire to, despite all the barriers. Asian kids have had f**k all in the way of that so far in football terms, and are probably more comfortable in the less-racist environment of cricket. 

Spoiler

If you think that’s bad, look for Love Thy Neighbour on YouTube. It’s truly horrific, and shows what passed for entertainment on prime time 70’s TV.

11 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

If you think that’s bad, look for Love Thy Neighbour on YouTube. It’s truly horrific, and shows what passed for entertainment on prime time 70’s TV.

Alf Garnet was even worse.

14 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I remember a while back my missus asking me if I remembered Love Thy Neighbour after somebody had mentioned it at work - she's a fair bit younger than me and had never seen it.

I fired up an episode on Youtube and she watched about ten minutes of it with her jaw hitting the floor that it had actually been allowed:

"I take it they showed this really late at night?"

"Nope. About 8pm on STV "

It really WASN'T okay in the 70s...

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Alf Garnet was even worse.

Alf Garnet's  character was the racist idiot, rather like the Major on Fawlty Towers and the various Little Britain and Python characters. 

All very well however middle-class white folk lampooning racism in the name of satire, but I wonder what black folk made of it at the time? I expect most of them switched off...