George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Did you ever complain about black people being underrepresented on television? Ever?

In my life? Probably not.

I have complained about lack of mps and why an Asian neighbour never got any further in the police than bobby despite being in there for 30 plus years. I spoke with him about it, wasn’t easy.

Can’t think of many people who have complained about a lack of black people on telly tbh. I’ve never had that discussion even with black colleagues or friends tbh..

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

In my life? Probably not.

Never in your life have you been bothered about black people being under-represented but after three weeks of them being over-represented you're girning about it.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Can’t think of many people who have complained about a lack of black people on telly tbh. I’ve never had that discussion even with black colleagues or friends tbh..

It's sweet that you've gone down the "Some of my best friends are black" route but if you've seriously never been aware of the issue surrounding the lack of minority representation in popular culture then I question which planet you've been living on.

Listen D.A.F.C, this is going to end up a pile on, and it's going to be a pile on because you are, deliberately or otherwise, saying some outrageous stuff. If I mind right you said before that you have had an issue with "dog with a bone" type stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think maybe leave it for tonight.

I am saying this in the hope that you do come back on tomorrow, rather than carry on down this rabbit hole tonight and it ends up getting sillier than it is now.

It's sweet that you've gone down the "Some of my best friends are black" route but if you've seriously never been aware of the issue surrounding the lack of minority representation in popular culture then I question which planet you've been living on.

If the next Dunfermline shirt ends up with black stripes slightly wider than the white ones he’s going to be inconsolable

I think its relevant to mention that I think tokenism is a bad thing in a thread about institutional racism.
If you think that makes me racist then so be it.
The, do you care more than me, argument is about as bad as the mouth breathers who set off fireworks for the nhs then pile into pubs get wrecked and end up in a&e.
All my life I've been surrounded by black music and culture, I've never had any issue with under representation because I like it.
I do have a problem with racism and have witnessed it at football grounds in the late 80s and 90s. The way dunfermline fans treated Mark walters and cadette of falkirk was a disgrace. It was the same at every football ground.
Is there a racism problem in the uk, yes.
Was it as bad as it used to be, no.
Are some institutions racist, yes.
As bad as america, no.

If I thought I could make a difference i would but I don't know how to change the systems that have kept black and ethic minority out of top jobs. I do believe that simply putting more on tv isn't going to fix it. Especially at jobs like football pundit or weather presenter. Id like to see a black presenter of question time or news night.
Perhaps the head of bbc or a position that would provide real change. Make more programs showing what its like to be black and treated badly. Its not an easy thing to fix, when was the LA riots? 92?
Nothing has changed despite more representation.
We need to change the top, only white people can fix this because they have the power. Simply ticking boxes isn't going to solve it.
Make real change that will last, look at why there was the situation at the bbc that made it all white rather than fixing it with a crowbar.

Listen D.A.F.C, this is going to end up a pile on, and it's going to be a pile on because you are, deliberately or otherwise, saying some outrageous stuff. If I mind right you said before that you have had an issue with "dog with a bone" type stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do think maybe leave it for tonight.

I am saying this in the hope that you do come back on tomorrow, rather than carry on down this rabbit hole tonight and it ends up getting sillier than it is now.
Youre right have posted the last thing.
Marshmallow has been red dotting me for over a month and has used this to accuse me of being a racist. Im not happy about it.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think its relevant to mention that I think tokenism is a bad thing in a thread about institutional racism.
If you think that makes me racist then so be it.

OK, well I'm done.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Give me one example of a “black person” who has been “placed in front of the camera regardless of ability or talent”?  

Then look at the “panellists” on, oh, Sportsound, or whatever crap passes for PLZ Soccer.  Give me one example of somebody who is there on account of their articulate, well delivered analysis.

Edit: Sky Sports just cut back to the studio and Jamie Redknapp was literally spinning in his chair.

Any white presenter; fine.

Any black presenter; tokenism! Box ticking! Quotas!

And you fail to see an issue with this attitude? You're seeing race and not just a person.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

That we want to be careful to not setup institutions that turn into the very thing that blm protesters are quite rightly protesting about.

BLM protestors are protesting about systemic racism, oppression and prejuidice that is centuries old.

The BBC hiring a few black people is in no way similar. Are you seriously suggesting that the BBC is being racist by hiring a few black folk? Are you seriously suggesting that, by hiring a few black people, the BBC is prejudice against white people and is actively working to put up all sorts of barriers and oppress white people?

Have a fucking word.