George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

28 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Christ, you try to steer clear of some of the murkier parts of Israel's independence campaign to avoid allegations of AS, only to find you've gone too far the other way. Lehi were cúnts, and the bombing of the King David was up there with 9/11. Happy now?

Oh, and virginton? Auld Nick'll be ice-skating to work before I'll take a recommendation of a book which has helped form your worldview.

The book doesn't inform 'my worldview' but rather 'expands my understanding of the objective facts about the Holocaust and general policy towards the Jews in east-central Europe': which is kind of an important thing for a qualified historian and practitioner in the field to have. You're not actually entitled to spout whatever complete and utter nonsense you want about such an important topic without getting called on it, so put your petted lip away and educate yourself for a change.

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

BLM speaking about Palestine has more to do with the people who have jumped on the BLM bandwagon, the people who obsess over Palestine and see Israel as the evil guiding hand behind everything. 

This is simply not true. Black Lives Matter, and several other groups that spawned out of the Ferguson protests in 2014, have worked with Palestinian activists for years.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/rania-khalek/watch-ferguson-activists-bring-message-love-and-struggle-palestine

Don’t really have much to add regards BLM, but the mention of Beirut & the Lebanon has reminded me of being in Cote d’Ivoir in the same hotel as Lebanese air crew, the women were absolutely stunning & the entire crew knew how to party. Many a day spent at the pool getting merry with them.
And that’s about all I’ve got to say about that.

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

No it's really not. It's an exceptionally easy way to make most people who aren't following any of this closely close their ears and think "crank".

You should always tailor your discourse to the audience in any situation.

However discussing the ideology that drives human rights abuses and land theft in Palestine necessarily involves calling by it's self proclaimed name. It has to be considered as a continuous racist project over the course of over a century and also in the greater context of white settler colonialism. 

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Christ, you try to steer clear of some of the murkier parts of Israel's independence campaign to avoid allegations of AS, only to find you've gone too far the other way. Lehi were cúnts, and the bombing of the King David was up there with 9/11. Happy now?

Oh, and virginton? Auld Nick'll be ice-skating to work before I'll take a recommendation of a book which has helped form your worldview.

and NBB - replace "civilised" with "developed" and you'd be closer to my meaning. Whatever their motives - as the Inverclyde Sage has expressed - the majority of the world's nations supported the formation of a Jewish State.

Timothy Snyder is a raging Atlantic Council sponsored Neocon. Definitely do not read him.

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

Timothy Snyder is a raging Atlantic Council sponsored Neocon. Definitely do not read him.

More top notch stuff from the chump who held up a no-mark Esperantist blogger as the voice of authority on nationalism.

You still hear far too many (I think so) people in Scotland who will scramble for any reason to criticize BLM or just black people in general , " it's a pabndemic, they're breaking the law, they don't care about black lives when they kill each other, they call each other the N word ,  black comedians take the piss out of white people so why is it racist if blah blah greet greet. 

if this is you, you need to ask yourself why you think like that?

Also why do you apply the same process for criticizing all of the following things ; electric cars, renewable energy, greta Thunberg , Nicola sturgeon , the EU ,  welfare state, foreigners etc. in other words what makes people become gamons?  

4 hours ago, virginton said:

More top notch stuff from the chump who held up a no-mark Esperantist blogger as the voice of authority on nationalism.

I'd have been more impressed if you'd defended your choice of reference rather than attacked another's preference. Why should I read this Snyder chap on top of all the other information I've already got swimming around in the space between my ears?

37 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

You still hear far too many (I think so) people in Scotland who will scramble for any reason to criticize BLM or just black people in general , " it's a pabndemic, they're breaking the law, they don't care about black lives when they kill each other, they call each other the N word ,  black comedians take the piss out of white people so why is it racist if blah blah greet greet. 

if this is you, you need to ask yourself why you think like that?

Also why do you apply the same process for criticizing all of the following things ; electric cars, renewable energy, greta Thunberg , Nicola sturgeon , the EU ,  welfare state, foreigners etc. in other words what makes people become gamons?  

The world has always been full of cúnts - the problem is that a general rightward drift in Press, Media and Government over the last few years has allowed them the confidence to come out from under their stones and made them believe that there's nothing wrong with their bigoted worldview.

16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'd have been more impressed if you'd defended your choice of reference rather than attacked another's preference. Why should I read this Snyder chap on top of all the other information I've already got swimming around in the space between my ears?

I'm not looking to impress you champ. There's quite clearly zero relevant information swimming between your ears, given that your contention proved to be massively wrong on several levels. This isn't a topic where you get to pitch your latest hot take and have it treated as equal to serious academics who have actually spent years looking at the relevant documents and publishing their conclusions in a peer-reviewed setting. Either educate yourself or pipe down with your nonsense. 

Edited by vikingTON

42 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm not looking to impress you champ. There's quite clearly zero relevant information swimming between your ears, given that your contention proved to be massively wrong on several levels. This isn't a topic where you get to pitch your latest hot take and have it treated as equal to serious academics who have actually spent years looking at the relevant documents and publishing their conclusions in a peer-reviewed setting. Either educate yourself or pipe down with your nonsense. 

...and yet we must bow before the intellectual might of the Sage of Inverclyde? Fúck off, champ.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The world has always been full of cúnts - the problem is that a general rightward drift in Press, Media and Government over the last few years has allowed them the confidence to come out from under their stones and made them believe that there's nothing wrong with their bigoted worldview.

Just my viewpoint but I'd disagree with that. Folk on the left tend to think the media is right-leaning, folk on the right tend to think it's left-leaning.

Aside from a few exceptions, I think society and the media have probably moved a bit to the left, on social issues anyway, and that's probably contributed the increased noise from the gammon constituency of the population. Particularly the middle aged ones, they're from a time when as long as you weren't an outright bigot, holding gammony points of view was considered the norm. The world's shifted and they haven't so there's always going to be increased friction there.

46 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Just my viewpoint but I'd disagree with that. Folk on the left tend to think the media is right-leaning, folk on the right tend to think it's left-leaning.

Aside from a few exceptions, I think society and the media have probably moved a bit to the left, on social issues anyway, and that's probably contributed the increased noise from the gammon constituency of the population. Particularly the middle aged ones, they're from a time when as long as you weren't an outright bigot, holding gammony points of view was considered the norm. The world's shifted and they haven't so there's always going to be increased friction there.

I never though of it in those terms, I think the uk is much more right leaning in terms of money and the economy but the opposite  when it comes to social issues like sex, drug use, womans rights and rolls and lgbt acceptance,  20 years ago, which was the big brave new millennium remember,  there was still a sizable number of people thought that all druggies should be shot on site , certain jobs were not appropriate for ladies and children should be protected from gays,  older ( now deceased) relatives of mine would often comment on many things that nobody bats an eyelid at now as " not right or proper" . homophobia in Scotland is  mere shadow of the clause 28 campaign of 2000 .  But despite all this racism and dislike of foreigners , especially ones which we think might be getting something past us, still stands strong

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I never though of it in those terms, I think the uk is much more right leaning in terms of money and the economy but the opposite  when it comes to social issues like sex, drug use, womans rights and rolls and lgbt acceptance,  20 years ago, which was the big brave new millennium remember,  there was still a sizable number of people thought that all druggies should be shot on site , certain jobs were not appropriate for ladies and children should be protected from gays,  older ( now deceased) relatives of mine would often comment on many things that nobody bats an eyelid at now as " not right or proper" . homophobia in Scotland is  mere shadow of the clause 28 campaign of 2000 .  But despite all this racism and dislike of foreigners , especially ones which we think might be getting something past us, still stands strong

Absolutely. Particularly with homophobia and LGBTQ issues, I think society's changed pretty drastically over the past 20/25 years. Casual racism and homophobia was far more acceptable in the 90s than it is now. And that absolutely shouldn't be used as an excuse not to continue that progress.