George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

5 hours ago, Aufc said:

Obviously i didnt have sight over his other actions. I was really just looking at that one incident in isolation. He is clearly thick as shit though.

Even if that stunt couldn't quite meet the definition of racism, couldn't you have guessed at the motivation and belief of the person behind it?

5 hours ago, madwullie said:

Everything has to be polarised now, partisan. Either snp bad /rabid snp fanboys, or how you voted in an EU referendum a few years ago. 

You'd hope that a fucking deadly virus that kills everyone equally or actual murder of people for the colour of their skin would allow c***s to find some kind of common ground, but no, obviously not. 

Both those referendums, if they themselves have not completely fucked the country(ies) politically, they've gone a long way to opening up wounds that I really can't see ever being fully healed. I imagine social media hasn't really helped either.

Even on here there is a need to be on the winning side of the argument with everything you say, and people can basically write as much as they like. Unsurprising on twitter with such a small character limit, positions are reduced to the simplest, most partisan level

😎

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Done a bit of googling and I am just going outside and may be some time.

giphy.gif

Could also try 2016 Crime in the United States from the Criminal Justice Information Services Division.

On 24/06/2020 at 11:52, JTS98 said:

Everything they do is tied to the funding they have.

The point is not to take away the funding. That's a really bad idea. The point is to spend the money better.

If we defund or abolish the police and use the money for community projects, who do you call if someone breaks into your house?

As an example, the NYPD receives a bigger share of the New York City budget than housing, health, homeless services, youth and community development and workforce investment combined. The NYPD also has a huge number of officers per head of population and their headcount has been increased in recent years.

The latest budget put forward has over $2B of cuts across various areas, with 3% of the education budget being cut. Yet less than 1% of the NYPD budget is cut.

The notion that diverting any of that NYPD funding to other areas is unavoidably going to create a lawless wasteland with no policing is evidently an utterly ridiculous position to take.

Edited by Dunning1874

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

As an example, the NYPD receives a bigger share of the New York City budget than housing, health, homeless services, youth and community development and workforce investment combined. The NYPD also has a huge number of officers per head of population and their headcount has been increased in recent years.

The latest budget put forward has over £2B of cuts across various areas, with 3% of the education budget being cut. Yet less than 1% of the NYPD budget is cut.

The notion that diverting any of that NYPD funding to other areas is unavoidably going to create a lawless wasteland with no policing is evidently an utterly ridiculous position to take.

You ever tried negotiating with Tom Selleck and his team over budget cuts? Good luck with that.

Even if that stunt couldn't quite meet the definition of racism, couldn't you have guessed at the motivation and belief of the person behind it?

To be honest, i was just playing devil’s advocate. In isolation, it is technically not racist. The point was more about him being educated rather than having his life ruined. However, it seems like this was an option but he said no. So f**k him

Why would you take it in isolation though? Saying white lives matter as a stand-alone statement with no context around it is obviously racist due to the society and current climate we live in.

The ‘but how can you say black lives matter and not white lives matter,’ argument is clearly moronic and as a crude comparison, if you replace ‘lives matter,’ with ‘power,’ you start to see why there’s no defence there. 

I’m not saying you are saying this, and I don’t mean to be picking on you, but really no need to play devils advocate on something so straightforward. 

Not picking on me at all. All part of a discussion.

To be honest, i tend to agree with you. I was really just trying to say that the guy shouldnt have his life ruined. We have got into a society whereby if someone does something slightly wrong then there is a mob mentality whereby people wont rest until the individual has his life completely ruined. It is driven by social media.

Not been following this thread but I understand that it's fine for the police in America to drive around a predominantly black neighbourhood at night with their sirens and horns blaring to create as much unrest as possible because some black folk did some murders? 

30 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Not picking on me at all. All part of a discussion.

To be honest, i tend to agree with you. I was really just trying to say that the guy shouldnt have his life ruined. We have got into a society whereby if someone does something slightly wrong then there is a mob mentality whereby people wont rest until the individual has his life completely ruined. It is driven by social media.

I'm not so sure it was just a slight mistake though,  hardly a slip of the tongue in the heat of the moment. 

I agree he shouldn't have his life ruined but I'm not sure it has been - he has lost his job due to his bad judgement (rightly IMO) but can pick himself up as he's young enough.  

I'm not so sure it was just a slight mistake though,  hardly a slip of the tongue in the heat of the moment. 
I agree he shouldn't have his life ruined but I'm not sure it has been - he has lost his job due to his bad judgement (rightly IMO) but can pick himself up as he's young enough.  
There clearly needs to be consequences for folk who fall foul of society, especially someone who went so far out of his way to disrupt something, like this fanny.

My big issue with it is that often these people turn it around in their head and see themselves as the victim (and he'll have plenty of folk telling him that, both around him and on social media). He might even become a wee 'cause' that some folk want to help, protecting him from the big bad political correctness brigade.

There's no easy solution but f**k me it would be nice if folk learned the right lessons from stuff like this.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There clearly needs to be consequences for folk who fall foul of society, especially someone who went so far out of his way to disrupt something, like this fanny.

My big issue with it is that often these people turn it around in their head and see themselves as the victim (and he'll have plenty of folk telling him that, both around him and on social media). He might even become a wee 'cause' that some folk want to help, protecting him from the big bad political correctness brigade.

There's no easy solution but f**k me it would be nice if folk learned the right lessons from stuff like this.

Agreed.

The problem is that there are enough racists in the country to put enough weight behind an alternative perspective to  muddy the waters which means the right lessons are not only not learned but lost.   

As before this reads a lot like we shouldn't confront racism in case it makes the racists more racist. Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Milo Yiannopoulos have all be confronted head on and are all severely diminished in influence. The police and security services are taking far right terrorism seriously and are getting prosecutions. There's a dead easy solution: kick them off normal social media, force them onto the crank versions where they're very easily monitored, deal seriously with the resulting threat of real world violence. I'm very optimistic about the direction of travel with this. It's the insidious, don't even know they're doing it institutional stuff that's going to be harder to deal with & is arguably more damaging.
You seem to have misinterpreted my post. In no way am i suggesting we shouldn't confront racism and call it out for what it is. Not even close.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

As before this reads a lot like we shouldn't confront racism in case it makes the racists more racist. Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Milo Yiannopoulos have all be confronted head on and are all severely diminished in influence. The police and security services are taking far right terrorism seriously and are getting prosecutions. There's a dead easy solution: kick them off normal social media, force them onto the crank versions where they're very easily monitored, deal seriously with the resulting threat of real world violence. I'm very optimistic about the direction of travel with this. It's the insidious, don't even know they're doing it institutional stuff that's going to be harder to deal with & is arguably more damaging.

There's a new sin bin where Poor Tommy gets to sit alone with Katie Hopkins and talk about the old days, desperately hoping Trump will join them.

Agreed.
The problem is that there are enough racists in the country to put enough weight behind an alternative perspective to  muddy the waters which means the right lessons are not only not learned but lost.   
I would change that to say that there are a lot of fairly uneducated folk who aren't willing or able to put the time in to actually understand the complexity of structural racism and unconscious bias. These things can be quite nuanced.

These folk are different from the loud-mouths who spout ignorant shite, either because they're evil c***s, or because they're incredibly stupid, and genuinely think this isn't an issue.

Education is the key - and in that respect the coverage that blm is currently getting is brilliant.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I would change that to say that there are a lot of fairly uneducated folk who aren't willing or able to put the time in to actually understand the complexity of structural racism and unconscious bias. These things can be quite nuanced.

These folk are different from the loud-mouths who spout ignorant shite, either because they're evil c***s, or because they're incredibly stupid, and genuinely think this isn't an issue.

Education is the key - and in that respect the coverage that blm is currently getting is brilliant.

Fair point - I was probably being too simplistic in that I was lumping the consciously racist in with the unconsciously racist.  On a very simple level some may argue you're either in or out but as we know it's really not that simple, and the real danger comes from the consciously racist - luckily, the vast majority don't fall into that category.  

Seeing some footage on instagram of arrests and other things that have been going on in police custody in the US, 6yr olds being put in handcuffs, death of Elijah Mcclain and Breanna Taylor i just dont get it nothing these people done were threatening to anyone yet 2 of them were killed by police and no one is held to account.  Though some people dont help matters a woman calling 911 because there was some black kids playing american football in the streets what planet are these c*nts on.

24 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

yup they've done the same on Mastodon and some other one I can't remember. Milo was complaining that 20,000 followers wasn't enough to live on because only 3 of them will buy his books which is just what we want to happen to all of them.

This sounds like a fun read.

https://www.newstatesman.com/alt-right-politics-2016-andrew-marantz-antisocial-review

Edited by welshbairn