George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Have they done research and found that racism is less prevalent in private schools? 

Diane Abbot thought it would be less of a problem, and was worried about the low expectations of teachers and outcomes in the state sector I think. Got a load of stick for putting her son in a private school.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Minneapolis Police Chief has withdrawn from negotiations with the police union as the first part of transforming the police force.

Many police unions are an obstacle to reform and shield officers from discipline and provide cover for misconduct.

Posted this before but the Union President sounds like a character in a James Ellroy novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Kroll_(police_officer)

The statue removals are absolutely fantastic and a great way of making racist gammons shift uncomfortably in their seats. The folk raging about statues being cunted into rivers are the same absolute fucking vermin who have absolutely no problem with migrants and their kids drowning in the Med. 

If creepy fuckers like Wattoo and Jeremiah Cole's latest tragic alias are raging about something, taking the opposite position is very likely going to be the right side of the moral argument. 

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The statue removals are absolutely fantastic and a great way of making racist gammons shift uncomfortably in their seats. The folk raging about statues being cunted into rivers are the same absolute fucking vermin who have absolutely no problem with migrants and their kids drowning in the Med. 

If creepy fuckers like Wattoo and Jeremiah Cole's latest tragic alias are raging about something, taking the opposite position is very likely going to be the right side of the moral argument. 

IMG_20200607_194555.jpg

49 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I have no idea. Presumably yes they have.

I have no idea myself and was genuinely interested as that seems absolutely shite and wholly unfair having to shell out thousands of pounds in the hope that your child is subjected to less racism than a public school. I'm not sure that going to a school where the families are generally better off than students at mainstream schools means the pupils are going to be more tolerant people with higher values. 

Anecdotally, kids today in general are far less tolerant of all forms of discrimination and bigotry IMO. 

This proves absolutely nothing but this is the first article that came up on ny Google search. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/private-school-racism-black-students-state-exclusions-a9286021.html%3famp

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

No, the "shitebag route" as you put it, would be to pander to the extremists and remove the statue.

Still, I'm sure the circus will have moved on in a week or two.............

I agree pandering is the shitebag route. But actually listening to people's arguments and being willing to change your mind and admit that you could be wrong takes far more courage than just sticking to your side's party line, whatever that might be.

25 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Also, it looked like a great fucking laugh. Wish I'd been there tbh.

I'm all for people protesting peacefully, no issue whatsoever to bring about changes in attitude to racism, climate change or anything else.

What cannot be condoned is the mob rule of vandalism, attacking the police with bikes or anything else which comes to hand or the toppling of statues and rolling them into the sea. I totally agree the statues have had their day but Its not up to mobs to take the law into their own hands. If this behaviour continues then where do we ultimately draw the line until somebody says enough is enough?

The death of George Floyd has crossed the Atlantic and gone from peaceful protests about changes in attitudes for the better to a much darker and sinister place on a more consistent basis, that cannot be good. Any law abiding citizen has to see that surely? 

I wonder how many of the anti protest squad are the same types that like to say things like "The French really know how to protest, we are all shitebags in this country".

Can tmake an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Big, bronze racist eggs.

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'm all for people protesting peacefully, no issue whatsoever to bring about changes in attitude to racism, climate change or anything else.

What cannot be condoned is the mob rule of vandalism, attacking the police with bikes or anything else which comes to hand or the toppling of statues and rolling them into the sea. I totally agree the statues have had their day but Its not up to mobs to take the law into their own hands. If this behaviour continues then where do we ultimately draw the line until somebody says enough is enough?

The death of George Floyd has crossed the Atlantic and gone from peaceful protests about changes in attitudes for the better to a much darker and sinister place on a more consistent basis, that cannot be good. Any law abiding citizen has to see that surely? 

Every single person will accept that there have been examples from history when breaking the law was justified.  This is just a subjective viewpoint dressed up as an objective one.

"I'm all for Mr Schindler's right to argue that we shouldn't kill all the Jews. But surely the correct action is to petition his local member of the Reichstag, not just take the law into his own hands? Any law abiding citizen has to see that."

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Every single person will accept that there have been examples from history when breaking the law was justified.  This is just a subjective viewpoint dressed up as an objective one.

"I'm all for Mr Schindler's right to argue that we shouldn't kill all the Jews. But surely the correct action is to petition his local member of the Reichstag, not just take the law into his own hands? Any law abiding citizen has to see that."

Damned suffragettes, screwing up my each way nap! :angry:

36 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I have no idea myself and was genuinely interested as that seems absolutely shite and wholly unfair having to shell out thousands of pounds in the hope that your child is subjected to less racism than a public school. I'm not sure that going to a school where the families are generally better off than students at mainstream schools means the pupils are going to be more tolerant people with higher values. 

Anecdotally, kids today in general are far less tolerant of all forms of discrimination and bigotry IMO. 

This proves absolutely nothing but this is the first article that came up on ny Google search. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/private-school-racism-black-students-state-exclusions-a9286021.html%3famp

I suppose one argument is that if you're paying money you have greater ability to demand certain things from the school.