George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

You’ve nailed this here. People were moved away from focusing on a disgusting and needless death to this mayhem far too quickly. Even wankers like Robinson don’t need to say too much, their job is being done for them by this lunacy. What should have been a peaceful, but powerful protest, has now been portrayed into rioting. They may  think this might change the opinions of the ‘silent majority’, but their X in the box won’t change

lol nobody is out here trying to switch someone's vote have you even spent five minutes following what's happening in America?

1 hour ago, throbber said:

He’s incited football fans to get involved in the rioting next weekend to fight Antifa. I’m picturing a similar scene to that at the end of Green Street when they meet up for the mass brawl near the Millennium Dome. 

Will he funny as f**k when all the West Ham, Chelsea and Millwall fans turn on each other.

51 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not a f****** chance.

After all, there was no trade in African slaves until the big bad Brits came along.

Other people were doing it too is never going to be a valid defence.

20 minutes ago, throbber said:

It’s definitely not intentional, it was directed by a pretentious French woman who clearly believed that football hooligans were men of honour and the fighting was just a release from their regular day to day inanity. The worst part of the film was probably when Elijah Woods naive and dimwitted sister followed him to the Millenium dome brawl with her baby in the backseat of her car only to find herself stranded like some sort of damsel in distress. Painful viewing.

Football factory on the other hand was a magnificent spectacle.

Aye, his sister was a fucking idiot. She left her husband for no good reason. He actually saved her brother and nearly dies because of it and thanks him by getting his brother killed! Daft bint.

Bovver was a wee jealous fanny. He was fuming that Frodo was taking his love away from him.

Football Factory is fun but very different to the excellent book. The film tries to make some social points but fails badly.

You fucking mug!

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sons of Anarchy may be a very good series but as soon as I realised he was a main character I switched it off.

My favourite moment of Green Street is the end narration from Elijah Wood where he says 'I never got the chance to thank Pete....'

Let's a take a quick look at your life trajectory...your brother in law nearly died, Pete died, your sister's life is ruined along with your nephew. You won't get back into Harvard despite your little win at the end, because you still took a bribe to take the fall for Cocaine use, you fucking idiot.

I suppose you had a few terrible mates for a few weeks though.

He got a West Ham tattoo as well.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I never said it was. But everybody was at it. Slavery had been the way of the world since ancient times.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sons of Anarchy may be a very good series but as soon as I realised he was a main character I switched it off.

My favourite moment of Green Street is the end narration from Elijah Wood where he says 'I never got the chance to thank Pete....'

Let's a take a quick look at your life trajectory...your brother in law nearly died, Pete died, your sister's life is ruined along with your nephew. You won't get back into Harvard despite your little win at the end, because you still took a bribe to take the fall for Cocaine use, you fucking idiot.

I suppose you had a few terrible mates for a few weeks though.

Agree about Sons of Anarchy, I just couldn’t take it seriously with him in it.

The scene in Green street when they pretend to be a film crew before ambushing the Man Utd fans is gold also - he narrates it and says the news travelled faster than the news of Princess Diana’s death! 

The scene where Bovv goads the Birmingham fans was off the scales as well.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Football Factory is fun but very different to the excellent book. The film tries to make some social points but fails badly.

You fucking mug!

Yeah the way it has Dyer narrating It is like a very poor mans Trainspotting. It was pretty funny though and had a good soundtrack.

”See you you c**t, I’ll cut you first!”

Just now, craigkillie said:

It's worth learning about Britain's role in ending it though, especially as this was done as a State (ie in all our names) rather than the actions of individuals.  I think it's fair to say that no other country in the world has done more to stop slavery. 

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I never said it was. But everybody was at it. Slavery had been the way of the world since ancient times.

Those people in Cornwall and Devon who were captured by Barbary pirates and whisked off to some North African fortified town must felt like they'd been abducted by aliens and taken to another planet.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

Agree about Sons of Anarchy, I just couldn’t take it seriously with him in it.

The scene in Green street when they pretend to be a film crew before ambushing the Man Utd fans is gold also - he narrates it and says the news travelled faster than the news of Princess Diana’s death! 

The scene where Bovv goads the Birmingham fans was off the scales as well.

Say what you like about it but 15 years on it is still imprinted on my memory, and I have watched it more than once.

Still great to laugh at over a few cans.

15 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm a million miles away from being a 'Tory bigot' (I hope), but I'm uncomfortable with watching mob rule decide what should and should not be done. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, and while it obviously seems incongruous standing up for the statue of a slave trader, I suspect that the vast majority of people in the UK prefer removal by some kind of democratic process. 

You're never, ever going to win over public opinion by vandalism or graffiti. Those inside the small bubble cheer it on, while the vast majority outside that bubble turn off from the message being forced on them. 

It’s not mob rule deciding which statues get dismantled, it’s the people who live in the cities where they are situated.  People who were never given an option as to whether these memorials were erected are now taking them down.  It’s not for the majority of people in the UK to decide, it’s for the people who have had their history affected by these characters.  Statues are local issues.  Public opinion isn’t the question, here, I don’t think.  It’s the opinion of local communities, and it’s quite clear that the opinion of those local communities is that they should be removed.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Those people in Cornwall and Devon who were captured by Barbary pirates and whisked off to some North African fortified town must felt like they'd been abducted by aliens and taken to another planet.

Bit like the Africans carted off to the Americas, then.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s not mob rule deciding which statues get dismantled, it’s the people who live in the cities where they are situated.  People who were never given an option as to whether these memorials were erected are now taking them down.  It’s not for the majority of people in the UK to decide, it’s for the people who have had their history affected by these characters.  Statues are local issues.  Public opinion isn’t the question, here, I don’t think.  It’s the opinion of local communities, and it’s quite clear that the opinion of those local communities is that they should be removed.

There's half a million people live in Bristol. Were they all asked their opinion?

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Say what you like about it but 15 years on it is still imprinted on my memory, and I have watched it more than once.

Still great to laugh at over a few cans.

I have seen it several time’s before, will probably watch in a couple of hours when my unruly toddler goes for a nap.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could have been worse, it could have been fife.

Just now, NewBornBairn said:

It's worth learning about Britain's role in ending it though, especially as this was done as a State (ie in all our names) rather than the actions of individuals.  I think it's fair to say that no other country in the world has done more to stop slavery. 

We can start learning about Britain's role in ending it as soon as we actually start learning about Britain's role in doing it in the first place. Neither of these things are part of our current curriculum in any meaningful way and therefore don't register in the national psyche.

It seems a little bit churlish to celebrate your own role in stopping slavery when you were complicit in the process for decades before that, and built your own country off the back of the profits. Even when we stopped it, we paid reparations to the poor little slave traders who ended up out of pocket, not the countries and communities which we ravaged for years.