George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Something tells me that person spent their time in wee boutique cafés in the Old Town and didn't pay visits to Pilton, Wester Hailes, Drylaw, Niddrie...
My kimchi bagel is underdone tarquin, now I know what it's like to live with such oppression.

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Something tells me that person spent their time in wee boutique cafés in the Old Town and didn't pay visits to Pilton, Wester Hailes, Drylaw, Niddrie...

Why would anyone visiting Edinburgh go to any of the places you have just mentioned? 

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Might be easier to track down who wrote the headline. Could be more revealing than the head shots. 

I don't think "head shots" is a terribly appropriate term, under the circumstances...

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
15 minutes ago, throbber said:
Why would anyone visiting Edinburgh go to any of the places you have just mentioned? 

Drugs

There’s also the Pilton Hilton tbf.

Guest Bob Mahelp
55 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Agree with first part and disagree with second part of this. Chucking that statue in the harbour has instantly educated millions of people in who Edward Colston was. I certainly had no idea who he was and only a vague inkling that Bristol was part of the slave trade. There's now talk of knocking Henry Dundas off his plinth in Edinburgh which I would hope would do the same thing.

That's true on some levels. 

However, as ever with these 'left wing' protests (a simplification I know), there's a danger of it becoming an echo chamber where the converted preach to the converted, but leaves tens of millions of people think it has nothing to do with them. 

I spoke to my dad last night.....I always use my dad as an indicator for the 'silent majority' in the UK that have driven the political direction in the last few years....and he had just been watching the news. The historical education he was getting meant shit all to him, he was just appalled that 'long haired layabouts' were causing trouble and scrolling 'racist' on Churchill's statue.

These aren't my views, but I'll guarantee you they're the views of many, many people in the country. I'm sure that everyone protesting.....the vast majority peacefully.....feel that they're making a difference. When in reality the actions of a few mean that only difference they're making is strengthening the hand of Johnson and the Tories come next election. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How does that work out % wise?

I believe 12% of Americans are blacks. I'm not doing the maths but at first glance that looks pretty disproportionate to me. 

46 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There was a protester boy interviewed on the BBC Scotland news last night and his name was Barrington.

Bit of a minter.

Was this him?

images (18).jpeg

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

More like this c**t.

Barrington Pheloung obituary | Music | The Guardian

ETA in fact Im taking Barrington over to the folk you dislike for no reason thread. The p***k.

He looks like a sex offender version of Jools Holland. 

There is no way that computer contains only music. 

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What a shame it would be if Tommy whatever the f**k his surname is got an absolute hiding this coming weekend.

He’s incited football fans to get involved in the rioting next weekend to fight Antifa. I’m picturing a similar scene to that at the end of Green Street when they meet up for the mass brawl near the Millennium Dome. 

Will he funny as f**k when all the West Ham, Chelsea and Millwall fans turn on each other.

11 hours ago, red23 said:

Maybe covered earlier in this thread but people are rioting in the UK over an american policeman(men) unjustly killing a random black guy why?

The murder of yet another black person by the police in America last week led to an long-overdue discussion of the ways in which systemic racism is perpetuated in many Western countries. The United Kingdom is absolutely one such place, indeed our history with the slave trade makes us as a country directly responsible for a great deal of the continued inequalities which persist in places like the USA, which was the ultimate destination for many of the millions of people who these slave traders kidnapped from their homes.

Therefore, people across the UK are protesting against this systemic racism in our country, as well as showing solidarity with the even more oppressed black people in the USA. I realise you already know this and are just posting a pithy wee remark to show yourself up, but it's still worth saying anyway.

34 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's true on some levels. 

However, as ever with these 'left wing' protests (a simplification I know), there's a danger of it becoming an echo chamber where the converted preach to the converted, but leaves tens of millions of people think it has nothing to do with them. 

I spoke to my dad last night.....I always use my dad as an indicator for the 'silent majority' in the UK that have driven the political direction in the last few years....and he had just been watching the news. The historical education he was getting meant shit all to him, he was just appalled that 'long haired layabouts' were causing trouble and scrolling 'racist' on Churchill's statue.

These aren't my views, but I'll guarantee you they're the views of many, many people in the country. I'm sure that everyone protesting.....the vast majority peacefully.....feel that they're making a difference. When in reality the actions of a few mean that only difference they're making is strengthening the hand of Johnson and the Tories come next election. 

You’ve nailed this here. People were moved away from focusing on a disgusting and needless death to this mayhem far too quickly. Even wankers like Robinson don’t need to say too much, their job is being done for them by this lunacy. What should have been a peaceful, but powerful protest, has now been portrayed into rioting. They may  think this might change the opinions of the ‘silent majority’, but their X in the box won’t change

Maybe they should put up statues to the West Africa Squadron?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Africa_Squadron

The Royal Navy established the West Africa Squadron at substantial expense in 1808 after Parliament passed the Slave Trade Act of 1807, an Act for the Abolition of the Slave Trade

Between 1808 and 1860 the West Africa Squadron captured 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans